Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What's the goods on gun safes

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    The police are looking to have firmer regulations around storage requirements (it was in amongst the other possible regulations they asked for submissions/feedback on earlier this year). My bet is the first step will be to make their recommended guidelines into the minimum legal requirement.
    Maybe, but I can't personally see that all the tens of thousands of commercial gun cabinets out there (which are a huge step up from previous versions like clothing lockers and flimsy MDF cabinets) will become redundant. They offer a pretty good level of gun security. A determined thief will get into just about anything given time of course but generally time is not on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Keep using your old one and buy another.
    Yes well that was the plan and buy another 6 gun. I've purchased my parents property and the old boy has informed me he has lost the keys to my safe. So it's either one big one or a couple small ones

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Maybe, but I can't personally see that all the tens of thousands of commercial gun cabinets out there (which are a huge step up from previous versions like clothing lockers and flimsy MDF cabinets) will become redundant. They offer a pretty good level of gun security. A determined thief will get into just about anything given time of course but generally time is not on their side.
    Given enough time, motivation, and skill. Anything can be stolen.

Increasing security increases the time and skill required is all.
    jakewire likes this.

Size wise I think it depends a little on the brand. I have a stag creek 5 gun safe that can hold a few more with carefull arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    A determined thief will get into just about anything given time of course but generally time is not on their side.
    AO told me a story about a handfull of E cat rifles that were stolen a few years back. The bad buggers hotwired a 20T excavator and went in through the side of the house, ripped the E cat safe off it's mounts and dumped into waiting vehicle to be opened at their leisure. I'd find it hard to provide security that would not be compromised by a 20T excavator.... then of course they might use a 40T machine....
    40mm and Cordite like this.

Getting OT now but here goes -

Muzzle up or muzzle down makes no difference to the effect of ammonia based solvents in the bore. (I wont bother getting the duscussion of will it wont it damage tge metal.) Except as already stated muzzle up let's the goobies run into undesirable areas.
    I recovered a club mate's rifle that had the bedding awash in solvent. Had run back down, wicked thru the king screw and saturated the bedding. Probably why it had "gone off".

I dumped my Sweets years ago. Likewise the Shooters Choice I had which stunk of ammonia. It was useless at any rate.
    There are far better non ammonia Cu solvents available now.

My 5 gun buffalo river fits 4 scoped rifles and a 12ga U/O, all muzzle up

I find the depth of most commercially sold safes to be a bit restrictive. Only the old man's 300 mag with it's big bulky nightforce scope has taken up two slots.

What a crock...when the police can't even look after their own firearms...11 stolen from Palmy North police sth, police car and 2 Glocks stolen in Gore as well as the 2-3 on average they just happen to lose a year!

Baronet, as long as you're feeling rich. They are changing the sizes at the moment to make them deeper and more usable.

https://tsl-and-select-engineering.m...ions/b-licence

the police cant just make laws I thought. if there is a minimum requirement doesnt it have to be in the arms act?

Yeah be wary of the heavy duty door encased in light duty walls and tuna can thickness bottom...ask me how I know.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    the police cant just make laws I thought. if there is a minimum requirement doesnt it have to be in the arms act?
    No. Because police enforce policy, not legislation

Quote Originally Posted by anzac_mike View Post
    Baronet, as long as you're feeling rich. They are changing the sizes at the moment to make them deeper and more usable.

https://tsl-and-select-engineering.m...ions/b-licence
    +1, these are very good. NZ made, and bloody heavy!

I looked into getting a 10 gun safe, little bit more you can have a 20, got one of these, bloody impressive. But very very heavy.
    https://legendhuntinggear.co.nz/safes/