Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: What's the pick of the lever action calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    another savage 99 fan here. they come up on TM for $5-700 in say 308 commonly enough.
    nice to shoot plenty accurate enough for most shooters.

lot of choice in common calibers. 30-30, 22-250, 250-3000, 300 sav, all the 308 family (most are 243 or 308 but 6.5mm, 7mm & 358 where made)
    get the barrel cut back and threaded for your 30 cal silencer.
    fit a 1-4x20 #4 scope or red dot.
    mine has a boyds laminated stock with a couple of extra holes for weight reduction. about 25mm lopped of the butt and a limbsaver fitted.
    not a fan of the metal butt plate while shooting heavy bullets.

down side is it will be heavier than modern ultra lights bolt action or single shoots.
    Z
    ps missed a couple of more pistol type calibers but probably not going to find them in NZ, 25-35, 32-40, 38-55, 375 win, 410 shotgun
    Have seen the odd 22 Hi-Power too.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Banned
    If you are going .308 then we are not talking pistol cartridges. 45-70Govt. Be masculine while it is still legal.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Awesome to see so many people keen about levers. Lots to process.

So far I'm sitting tight and just waiting for the laws and then buy stuff
    apathykills likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Am thinking of getting a lever or maybe a single shot take down. I haven't decided. Mainly as my bush gun is now almost certainly illegal.

What's a good cartridge that has good factory availability?

I only have a 30 cal suppressor which would limit me to 30-30. But I don't mind getting a larger suppressor.

Are 44 mag or 357 worth getting over 30-30?

This would only be used in bush where there's no chance of a longer shot.
    marlin 444. i might know of a very near new one that might look at offers.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Have seen the odd 22 Hi-Power too.
    Where! A friend has a takedown 250/3000, a std 300 savage, and is looking for a 22. As to zq Lewis's suggestion of cutting the barrel to supress it. Shame on you sir unless its a recently made one and even then its a questionable thing to do its not going to be a high volume shooter and at close ranges in the bush im not sure supressors are that efficent, the sonic boom of the bullets flight contributes significantly to the heard sound.
    Russian 22. and Tussock like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Where! A friend has a takedown 250/3000, a std 300 savage, and is looking for a 22. As to zq Lewis's suggestion of cutting the barrel to supress it. Shame on you sir unless its a recently made one and even then its a questionable thing to do its not going to be a high volume shooter and at close ranges in the bush im not sure supressors are that efficent, the sonic boom of the bullets flight contributes significantly to the heard sound.
    He is right. Would you bastards please stop cutting the barrels off classic rifles!

Been on trademe a joker in the Hawkes Bay
    Russian 22. likes this.

Name:  wareens phone pics 001.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  3.89 MB

308, Minox ZA5 1.5-8x32 egw rail and rings. Weighs 3.55kg without ammo.

As the Highlander says 'There can only be one'
    Russian 22. likes this.

I've been pondering about getting a lever gun again actually.

I know some don't like them but the Marlin 336 ss are damn nice.

I spoke to Desert guns Cromwell about them pending law changes for a pure Bush gun.

16"barrel suppressed and a 1.5-6 Burris would be the business especially if you got it AI'd because why not
    Russian 22. likes this.

With all this emphasis on "bush pigs" etc recently; I've often wondered why there hasn't been more uptake of lever actions here? Maybe it's because they are not available in cool or modern calibre? When you think of how many deer are shot around the world with a trusty 30-30 it should be the perfect bush gun; let alone the BLR's etc in 308 and other calibres. I suppose the 30-30 wouldn't be much chop when you spot a deer on a slip from the bush.... But as a bush gun; light, handy and good to handle. Just thinking out loud!
    oxfarmer, Got-ya and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    marlin 444. i might know of a very near new one that might look at offers.
    I am not in a position to buy just yet.

But I'd also have to reload for that caliber.

It would most likely be a new one. I dont buy any gun that I am apprehensive about chopping and threading.

I think with that Leverloution ( excuse the spelling ) ammo ( the stuff with the plastic tip) you could probably push out to 200m or maybe 250ish. Has increased the range since the old flat nose rounds a fair bit

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    With all this emphasis on "bush pigs" etc recently; I've often wondered why there hasn't been more uptake of lever actions here? Maybe it's because they are not available in cool or modern calibre? When you think of how many deer are shot around the world with a trusty 30-30 it should be the perfect bush gun; let alone the BLR's etc in 308 and other calibres. I suppose the 30-30 wouldn't be much chop when you spot a deer on a slip from the bush.... But as a bush gun; light, handy and good to handle. Just thinking out loud!
    bumblefoot and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    He is right. Would you bastards please stop cutting the barrels off classic rifles!
    Yeah I spotted that 88 284 on Trademe and would have been all over it except he had taken a hacksaw to it.
    Russian 22. likes this.

I can accept the grief for modding 1 of mine. Still have the original barrel and stock so it could be put back to original but it's only a budget basic 1975 one, Rotary mag but no cartridge counter.
    The other 1 is Dads and that one had crown damage and a rust pit 30-40 down from the muzzle.

My son wants a take down 250-3000 or 30-30 one with a peep sight as a pack gun but they are pricey.
    Was 2-3 22 hi power's last year on TM but I was put off by what I have read re availability of reloading components (.228 cal") and that they can be finicky to make shoot well.

That's a Sav 99 in22 Hipower.
    Hope he had a large elephant to be sitting on.

And another quote
    "The famous elephant hunter WDM Bell used a .22 Savage Hi-Power to kill Cape buffalo in West Africa in the 1920s, "

Not for me.
    Z
    viper and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    I think with that Leverloution ( excuse the spelling ) ammo ( the stuff with the plastic tip) you could probably push out to 200m or maybe 250ish. Has increased the range since the old flat nose rounds a fair bit
    Yeah that's what I thought too This thread has really got me interested in the Henry Long Ranger! I had a win 94 30/30 when I was young; should never have sold it! But young and dumb etc.... It handled beautifully! I see the Henry Long Ranger is available in 223, 243, 6.5 Creedmor and 308. Accuracy seems to be good too. Be nice with a 1-5x on it.... Hmmm; what am I talking myself into?
    Russian 22. likes this.