Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: What's the pick of the lever action calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    I can accept the grief for modding 1 of mine. Still have the original barrel and stock so it could be put back to original but it's only a budget basic 1975 one, Rotary mag but no cartridge counter.
    The other 1 is Dads and that one had crown damage and a rust pit 30-40 down from the muzzle.

My son wants a take down 250-3000 or 30-30 one with a peep sight as a pack gun but they are pricey.
    Was 2-3 22 hi power's last year on TM but I was put off by what I have read re availability of reloading components (.228 cal") and that they can be finicky to make shoot well.

That's a Sav 99 in22 Hipower.
    Hope he had a large elephant to be sitting on.

And another quote
    "The famous elephant hunter WDM Bell used a .22 Savage Hi-Power to kill Cape buffalo in West Africa in the 1920s, "

Not for me.
    Z
    Yes, I was very tempted till I started looking at components. I'd like one in something like 308 or 243.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

ahh the hi=power savage....now there is a cartridge screaming for a breakopen rifle if ever there was one...... if funds allowed I would rechamber a Bakail .222 or .223 leaving the neck tight...it SHOULD be a simple enough matter to swap out the spindles in reloading dies and get enough neck tension..... you would have unlimited choices then projectile wise.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Lever gun in .300blackout or .450 bushmaster with a can?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan88 View Post
    Lever gun in .300blackout or .450 bushmaster with a can?

I have never heard of one chambered in either. i'm sure they exist or are possible. would be a cool gun that's for sure

the aussies would have i bet

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    another savage 99 fan here. they come up on TM for $5-700 in say 308 commonly enough.
    nice to shoot plenty accurate enough for most shooters.

lot of choice in common calibers. 30-30, 22-250, 250-3000, 300 sav, all the 308 family (most are 243 or 308 but 6.5mm, 7mm & 358 where made)
    get the barrel cut back and threaded for your 30 cal silencer.
    fit a 1-4x20 #4 scope or red dot.
    mine has a boyds laminated stock with a couple of extra holes for weight reduction. about 25mm lopped of the butt and a limbsaver fitted.
    not a fan of the metal butt plate while shooting heavy bullets.

down side is it will be heavier than modern ultra lights bolt action or single shoots.
    Z
    ps missed a couple of more pistol type calibers but probably not going to find them in NZ, 25-35, 32-40, 38-55, 375 win, 410 shotgun
    I am not too concerned about weight, more the length.

I currently have to use my 24 inch barreled M98 sporter. she's heavy but recoil is pretty good.

just gets annoying when yah mates glide through and i have it get caught up hahah

ok.....you got the open stuff covered with the M98 so can have a dedicated BHSR ..... the .30/30 has done the bizo for a long time,cant see that changing soon, the .44mag or .44/40 do the job too..... work your problem backwards...think what you NEED the rifle/cartridge to be able to do and the options become clearer very fast.... dont right off a single break open either,shortened and canned with a suitable scope they are pretty darn handy.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I have never heard of one chambered in either. i'm sure they exist or are possible. would be a cool gun that's for sure

I havnt heard of them either but in the AR void they seem kinda obvious

Ruger do the American in 450.bushy

Gone but not forgotten
    I am not too concerned about weight, more the length.

I currently have to use my 24 inch barreled M98 sporter. she's heavy but recoil is pretty good.

just gets annoying when yah mates glide through and i have it get caught up hahah
    Winchester model 94 trapper is real handy in the bush, 16 inch barrel. A few inches shorter and it would be classed as a pistol. Not easy to suppress though, and you would probably be kicked off the forum if you started chopping it! It's also very light, about 3.2kg iirc.
    It's the rifle I choose most times I go bush stalking, so handy, and if I hear a deer I quietly chamber a round then uncock the hammer until I'm about to take a shot.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Yeah I spotted that 88 284 on Trademe and would have been all over it except he had taken a hacksaw to it.
    how short did it get chopped to?

how short did it get chopped to?
    18"

.308 browning takedown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gadgetman, Tommy, Steve123 and 2 others like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    A 170 flat nose 3030 tends to have quite a bit of authority, and doesnt seem to be lacking in the bang flop department out to 150 in my experience.
    Biggest thing Ive shot with mine was a scrub bull not that I was looking for one. I know at the time i wished i had something bigger like a 45/70 but it stalled the bugger allright, and I spent the next quarter hour shaking like a leaf and wondering what to do next.
    I'd agree mate. Dont under estimate the good old 3030. I couldn't bring myself to chop my 94 or Tx 336 and change the fine balance/ classic lines with a supp.
    SD on a 170 grain round nose is effective medicine to 150m. What more do you need. Recoil is light and they carry well. The 94 more so.
    scottrods and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    18"
    That's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    I'd agree mate. Dont under estimate the good old 3030. I couldn't bring myself to chop my 94 or Tx 336 and change the fine balance/ classic lines with a supp.
    SD on a 170 grain round nose is effective medicine to 150m. What more do you need. Recoil is light and they carry well. The 94 more so.
    I did quite like an old pig hunters Winchester 94. Really handy.

Agreed - the 30-30 rifle options are ideal in the bush. They smack hard out to 200 esp with the new Leverevolution ammo. Winnie 94 or Marlin 336 excellent. Occasionally the shorter barrel Winnie trapper models pop up on trademe.