Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Who Is Using 350 Legend ?

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    I know you are after a 350 Legend but Winchester dropped the ball with it unless you are an AR15 user, Have you thought about a .358 Winchester better selection of bullet weights,
    I do cast .358's a 220 HP and a 240 FP True Fllite do .358" barrels there are more people building them, I have supplied two people with cast bullets in the last week
    check it out on Amercian hunting sites everyone hunting with cast bullets either has a .358 or wants one. worth a look.
    Greetings Shooternz, Scout and All,
    Have to agree with shooternz. My son had a 358 until it got nicked and replaced with a .350 Rem Mag. Great flexible cartridge, easy to load. Cases made out of .308 brass which should be with us forever. I still have dies and cases. Mmm.
    Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

350 rem mag.
    Cranky little number

who makes a factory 358 these days? It seems like it would be a great bush hunting calibre
    Pack out heavy

Yep something about the large frontal area of a 35 cal bullet. Lots of fun. I have a 358 win barrel from Trueflite and have used some of Shooternz's 220gr hp in it.
    Neck up some 308 brass, got a set of dies and away I went.
    I use 3 loads, 225gr Sierra at just over 2400 fps, light 158 XTP 357 pistol bullets that are cheap make good goat bullets and the likes of the 220 gr lead caste bullets at 1050-1300 fps.
    NB I do think of it as being a 300 mtr rifle due to the average ballistics in current bullets. Nosler did some better bullets but they are probably better suited to the faster 358 cals due to heavier jackets.

So if you are looking at a 350 legend then consider soft loads in a 358 win will do everything you want and give you flexibility to shoot 357 pistol (38 spl, 357mag) and 358 rifle bullets. The 350 is limited to 9mm or 355 bullets.
    Z
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    who makes a factory 358 these days? It seems like it would be a great bush hunting calibre
    over here you would probably need to be a reloader to ensure ammo supply. Bullets have been readily available but loaded ammo could take some phoning around to locate.
    In the US Buffalo Bore makes some hot ammo, not sure I would want to run it in a lever however.
    Z

I was wondering how a post on who is using a 350 Legend got to this, funny things humans are lol !

Thank you for the replies guys, yours is very much appreciated whats his name @muzza !!

I think the thread went off track a bit but all good, still might make one up or a 357AR but I'm sure you could use .358 projectiles in the legend if need be, check the case releases the slug, if not open neck a tad .

Only looking at a cartridge that would fit in the small Sako Vixen action, maybe Sako 75 as I have a 300BLK in one now & it is bloody nice rig.

Bit of a set back is I like all my Sakos as they are & I got a old 17Rem to rebarrel but when I shot that it was a tack holer to, so sort of need to keep that as is as well !

Nothing wrong with the bigger .35s but I have 338's below & 9.3-375 above so don't need them right now, plus not really for females or small folks .

Thanks again for the input how ever !

Just to muddy waters even more, there is a 35 cal ross straight pull (barrel buggered), on retardme at the moment

Sorry for the thread drift on my part.
    Guess we got a bit carried away. I see you point, not needed when you have a big 9.3.

See where you are going now. Some in the US are also doing the legend with the 358 barrel fitted. Allows use of the jacketed rife bullets the 350 legend can't use..
    Z
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    I was wondering how a post on who is using a 350 Legend got to this, funny things humans are lol !

Thank you for the replies guys, yours is very much appreciated whats his name @muzza !!

I think the thread went off track a bit but all good, still might make one up or a 357AR but I'm sure you could use .358 projectiles in the legend if need be, check the case releases the slug, if not open neck a tad .

Only looking at a cartridge that would fit in the small Sako Vixen action, maybe Sako 75 as I have a 300BLK in one now & it is bloody nice rig.

Bit of a set back is I like all my Sakos as they are & I got a old 17Rem to rebarrel but when I shot that it was a tack holer to, so sort of need to keep that as is as well !

Nothing wrong with the bigger .35s but I have 338's below & 9.3-375 above so don't need them right now, plus not really for females or small folks .

Thanks again for the input how ever !
    @Scout why not buy a Howa Mini instead? Comes chambered in 350 Legend from the factory (maybe special order?) instead of altering a nice Sako L461/A1 Vixen?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    @Scout why not buy a Howa Mini instead? Comes chambered in 350 Legend from the factory (maybe special order?) instead of altering a nice Sako L461/A1 Vixen?
    Because he’s more of a roundabout guy than straight road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    caberslash likes this.

kinky.......
    caberslash likes this.

Actually @caberslash, I didn't know Howa Minis came in 350L, I was eyeing the Ruger American for a while but did want the Sako & the bigger mag of the older Vixen.

Seeing as the Howa 1500 was a copy of the old Sako that would be closer but we have a few Howa Minis in our crew & the magazines are all crap & some of the replacements are even worse !!

May see if I can find one to look at !

Actually @caberslash, I didn't know Howa Minis came in 350L, I was eyeing the Ruger American for a while but did want the Sako & the bigger mag of the older Vixen.

Seeing as the Howa 1500 was a copy of the old Sako that would be closer but we have a few Howa Minis in our crew & the magazines are all crap & some of the replacements are even worse !!

May see if I can find one to look at !
    Oregon Gunsmithing and Jefferson Outdoors both make replacement bottom metals, the latter has stopped making floorplates as he could not source magazine springs anymore but came up with a new bottom metal which takes CZ 527 mags, since they are steel you could probably get away with bending the feed lips a little to help the 350 Legend feed properly.
    veitnamcam and Scout like this.

Thats interesting on the bottom metal but if it isn't in NZ now days no one will send anything here from the US .

I need a Sako 85 trigger guard (I think 75 would work to) but no one will send down here !

Thats interesting on the bottom metal but if it isn't in NZ now days no one will send anything here from the US .

I need a Sako 85 trigger guard (I think 75 would work to) but no one will send down here !
    If you need a stock Sako 85 trigger guard I could do some hunting about for you here in the UK.

PM me.