Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Why didnt it go bang like it should?

NRT
    If they are reloads been sized to much so firing pin can't strike

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    maybe bolt wasnt completely down.....seen that with elcheapho norinco ONCE.
    this happened to me on my first opportunity at a red stag and first time out using a bolt action after using a lever for years.........and it was a mauser
    nothing more demoralizing than hearing a click instead of a boom then watching said stag trot off as you try load the next round quietly
    Micky Duck likes this.

Woha don’t clean that bolt just yet!
    First go out and try recreating what happened when you where hunting ie bolt not fully closed if it was that.
    Then clean away. If you clean it and then try your never going to find out why it did it or didn’t.
    Cheers S
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Time to trade in mate, I have had 2 Savage's and really don't rate them, maybe I was just unlucky but I haven't had a good run from the brand.
    hotsoup and dannyb like this.

I know a young guy who went out in the roar with an old pakahail 270. He had never shot a deer before but managed to call in a big red stag and when he squeezed off on the trigger nothing happened, instead of quickly reloading he sat there cursing and swearing throwing a fit until the stag ran off. That was 2 years ago and he still hasn't shot a deer, it pays to have good gear even if it means buying new and hurting for a while.

He too said he has had no problems with the riffle firing since but it seems these things happen when the pressure comes on and that's when you need your riffle to perform.
    viper and hotsoup like this.
    When hunting think safety first

When the pressure comes on you should really know your firearm. Buy new will not solve that problem!
    Old Parker Hales, BSA, Mauser and All the rest will still preform just the same as the modern version. But if you don’t know them then 9 * out of 10 it’s you at fault not the firearm.
    57jl, Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I brought the rifle second hand but unfired with aftermarket trigger and phosphate finish done. I'll load up some blank cases and see what it does with the bolt slightly up. But by the sounds of it I screwed it up myself and the rifle will have no issue
    Micky Duck and WallyR like this.

ebf
    @matto1234

have a look on youtube about stripping a Savage bolt, generally just involves an allen key to undo the nut at the back of the bolt - very easy

give it a good clean, and also make sure the nut is screwed in, if it has backed out a bit you can get light strikes.

what brand of primer are you using ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I'd be wondering about how well the aftermarket trigger was fitted.. could be breaking funny?
    Is it a proper aftermarket trigger, or just a bodge-job from someone removing the accu-trigger blade?
    Micky Duck likes this.

every time its happened to me its been operator error
    without basically stress testing your rifle till it fails there no way to be clear about what happened

Thats a very light strike on the primer, the others are likely correct, but if its hand loads, it could be that the shoulder is bumped to far, and the firing pin is striking the primer, and instead of crushing it, the brass is moving forward in the chamber.
    I have done this, and have a dozen 6x45, rounds sitting above my computer, to remind me to double check. May be worth running a box off new factory ammo threw rifle to check function and your hand loading skills.

WTF is on that bolt head???? almost looks like welding slag blobs.....look at wee tit on left side of bolt head...and middle of front face outer edge on right hand side....

Well I have had a really good play with the rifle tonight and I must say I am a bit sickened. Lifting the bolt appeoximately 5mm will stop it from firing and produce a slight mark on the primer like what happened yesterday so that is just user error I suppose. However I cleaned the bolt and there was still crc In it and clean , it is very stiff and the little holder pin sits on a lean and there is wear on the sleeve that turns to cock the bolt into place so the spring is obviously way too stiff. But wait it gets worse. I put the bolt back in and did some more testing with live primers, again 5mm lift gives no bang.i kept cocking it and noticed every now and then it will randomly fire just by lifting and closing the bolt. I also gave the safety a good working over and if I pull the trigger with safety on and then release the safety it will sometimes fire.

The heavy spring has obviously caused some major issues

I need a trusted gunsmith to sort this out as I am lucky this hasnt caused any injury to me or my mates

Name:  20190826_183530.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  2.69 MBName:  20190826_182646.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  2.62 MBName:  20190826_182417.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  3.41 MBName:  20190826_182646.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  2.62 MB

you are in Hamilton....ask around there will be a good gunsmith somewhere close by.... did you see what was on front of bolt???

Just a bit of oil residue
    Micky Duck likes this.