Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Why Does Everyone Hate Dan Cans?

The baffle with the thread on it came apart on a dpt on my 300 mag after a lot of use. It was fixed no trouble.
    Everything wears out.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    So in summary, NOT everyone on here hates Dan Cans. Some like them.
    I have one of each. That said, I'd swap my Dan Can for a DPT tomorrow but its not that much of a big deal to really worry about. 1st world problems I suppose.
    7mmTom likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Easy fix @hotbarrels just put some grease on the threads, will stop can backing off during firing.
    Cheers for that. Ill give it a go. It's been a great suppressor bar that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Is the operators error if you say what happened happened. But it could have just as easily been a fault with the suppressor

It may well have been a fault with suppressor, but to say could just as easily be a fault is a bit of a stretch isn’t it? The are not actually known for faults like the other brand are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    t from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
    t from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [/QUOTE]

arnt they? ive herd of more than one
    BRADS likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

I find it easy to believe ALL alloy suppressors will fail through overheating or long sustained use. If you are going to go hard on your suppressor get a stainless model like a MAE or Waitaki. Or just expect it to fail and accept.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    So in summary, NOT everyone on here hates Dan Cans. Some like them.
    I have one of each. That said, I'd swap my Dan Can for a DPT tomorrow but its not that much of a big deal to really worry about. 1st world problems I suppose.
    To be simple and clear. I do not mind his suppressors. They are a fairly good design and seem to be well made (mostly) It is his service that has burnt him. If he was the only one he would get away with it and people would probably be happy. But there are companies out there that care about their customers that have products that can do exactly the same job just as well or better.
    199p, gadgetman, kiwijames and 2 others like this.

that's a bit harsh, "a fairly good design". given the levels of sound reduction they achieved in independent testing last year.
    and the fact they don't have to be stripped and have the first baffle checked / replaced,
    oh and the compact's have about the shortest front overhang available.
    could just be that all they guys with DPT's are just pissed they did not get something else.(Pulling someone's leg here so don't hang me I speak in jest )

to be fair every design is a compromise and Dan's cans are expensive and the typical user (me) won't notice the difference a few Db makes.
    but the goats I shot in the weekend ran towards me and I stopped shooting when they got to 4 mtrs away. Gen 6 compact on 358win with trailboss under some pistol bullets
    Zq
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    that's a bit harsh, "a fairly good design". given the levels of sound reduction they achieved in independent testing last year.
    and the fact they don't have to be stripped and have the first baffle checked / replaced,
    oh and the compact's have about the shortest front overhang available.
    could just be that all they guys with DPT's are just pissed they did not get something else.(Pulling someone's leg here so don't hang me I speak in jest )

to be fair every design is a compromise and Dan's cans are expensive and the typical user (me) won't notice the difference a few Db makes.
    but the goats I shot in the weekend ran towards me and I stopped shooting when they got to 4 mtrs away. Gen 6 compact on 358win with trailboss under some pistol bullets
    Zq
    Having seen one sectioned against a few others as comparison, it is not the worst design, but not the best one either. Yes they work. No argument. Better than others is debatable. Animals have run towards me when using a Gunworks and my mate had similar experiences with an MAE. Most suppressors make it very difficult for animals to identify a location for the source of the sound. Most that I have seen will choose to run away from the bullet impact as, to them, that is where something happened when they heard the sound so the associate the two and run away from that.

As for the DB testing, and whether his are truly quieter than the others, I have not yet seen any truly independent testing that would confirm this. The most comprehensive test I saw was done by Hardy staff and to find out tha the testers suppressor came out the quietest seems a little convenient to me.
    kiwijames and 6x47 like this.

Cheers timattalon, As I have only seen the insides of the Hardy and DPT in pictures and not any others I can't argue with you.
    And yes true have experienced animals running towards shooters with other brands as well. I was not suggesting that it was only a Hardy thing.

However I would like to question your last comment.
    My understanding was that while they did use Hardy's sound equipment and testing facilities only Rod and Rifle staff where involved with the testing and recording of data.
    I will defend my decisions as to what gear I use and as the OP noted I wanted to give some support to the Hardy Cans
    Supressor Test - NZ Rod&Rifle

Zq

Animals will quite often run towards you with no suppressor or even a brake on the end....Just saying.
    sneeze, BRADS, Mathias and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Animals will quite often run towards you with no suppressor or even a brake on the end....Just saying.
    Find that with just the torch when sorting rabbits and hares. Buggers run right under the truck.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Find that with just the torch when sorting rabbits and hares. Buggers run right under the truck.
    shoot em through the bloody floor of the truck then. one round outta the shotty and youllbe able to reach through the hole and grab the huas as they scoot through!

Man it's been a long time since I went rabbit shooting with lots of the little buggers running everywhere.
    Your giving me withdraw symptoms.

[ATTACH]91851
    This is what happened to my Hardy. Was shooting targets and only firing 3 shot groups , then removing to allow to cool. This happened on the 12th shot. A bit of a surprise when I went to remove it. My mate shooting beside me was even more surprised! I use this on two rifles but round count would be well under 1000, probably around 800. As for his service .... I emailed a couple of photos and rang. Didn't talk to Dan but the man I spoke to said send it back and we'll replace it. A few days later I received a new one. I can't complain at that. He stood behind his product and promptly. Send my swaro binos away to be fixed as something went wrong inside. That was at the beginning of April and not quite back here yet .... just saying. Perhaps they should say when you pay four times the price of good binos for really great binos, if something goes wrong it takes four times as long to get it sorted
    Attached Images Attached Images