Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Why I wouldn't buy Weaver or Nikon scopes...

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Have owned several Nikon Monarch scopes and have not had a problem with any, mounted on everything from 22lr right up to 7mm rem mag.
    But you are right, I bought them knowing the risk and at a price point dictated by this, I would not pay top dollar for one. That however doesn't mean they are rubbish, it is just a reflection that I accept the risk that if it breaks thats the end of it.
    Actually I retract my previous statement, all Nikon scopes are rubbish, terrible glass, hopeless tracking, just to name a few issues.
    You should send them all to me for disposal hence forth, especially any Monarchs.
    #DANNYCENT

I would add although Burris have a great warranty and product in my opinion. The small print mentions their warranty is only valid in North America.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    nor-west and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    That said, I am in awe of your ability to start a largely pointless thread on a Sunday arvo!
    Well @Flyblown it looks like you and @Nickoli don't appreciate my contribution to the forum and are happy to put them down.

I put it to you both that the members on this forum should know that their primary role is to interact and encourage interaction, to encourage member involvement, and to encourage a sense of community.

However, it seems to me that the main role/priority of both of you is to put others down over their writtings. At least there is a contribution....why don't you write a few articles to contribute to the community rather than just add to the negativity?

I'm heading out for a evening shoot in 20 mins but don't tell @Nickoli as he will think I am making it up....
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

At least you make me laugh… for that you are a guaranteed winner mate, so thank you!
    Just...say...the...word

At least you make me laugh… for that you are a guaranteed winner mate, so thank you!
    And I must admit to not understanding your specific kind of arrogance and sense of humour, but I do admire your total commitment to it.

Ok time for the hills...
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

You’ll get there in the end buddy.

BTW if I come across a good Weaver GrandSlam hunting scope, I’ll snap it up. Great scopes.
    nor-west and 257weatherby like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Absolutely right !

All my smooth bore flintlocks have S&B PMii's on them. I wouldnt be seen dead with a weaver or a Nikon, hopeless scopes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pengy, FRST, Cartman and 5 others like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I would add although Burris have a great warranty and product in my opinion. The small print mentions their warranty is only valid in North America.

I had a chip on the lense of my SixX 2-12. God knows how I did it but anyhow.

I paid shipping one way, full repair and no questions asked. Would happily buy another in a heart beat.

I didn't read the fine print but Berretta the agents looked after me. Not saying you're wrong either mate.
    Cartman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I had a chip on the lense of my SixX 2-12. God knows how I did it but anyhow.

I paid shipping one way, full repair and no questions asked. Would happily buy another in a heart beat.

I didn't read the fine print but Berretta the agents looked after me. Not saying you're wrong either mate.
    Yeah I had a mate import one and he showed me it. I'm glad it came good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post

Maybe it says that on the warranty but I don't think that is how it is applied.

I bought a Burris 2-7 in the late seventies, it was a good scope but found itself utilised as a replacement on an AR for another brand of scope that had succumbed to vibration, this one went the same way and was sent to Burris in the US for repair by the then NZ agent. It never returned and was deemed lost by Burris with the NZ agent offering, on behalf of Burris, to replace it with a new scope of the same value. I got a new Burris Signature for an additional $100 and used it until the vertical erector failed last roar. I took this scope to H&F who returned it to Bretta NZ who deemed it irrepearable and gave me a new Burris 2-10 Signature in replacement. So for the scope I paid maybe $300 for about 40 years ago I have the latest version of a better model at the total cost of $100 to me.
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...

Well, Im gonna disagree with Hermitage, I have had a number of Weaver scopes over the years and cant fault them. Never had any warranty issues whatsoever. My first was a 3X Micro Trac way back in 1976, still on my mates 22 and it gets used and abused on his work 22. It has never failed. At last count I had 12 Weavers, cos quite simply they represented the best value for money scope in times when I didn't have that much money. Would buy a second hand Weaver again if I considered the price was right, hell yes! A warranty doesnt worry me in the slightest, if it breaks, it breaks, so what.
    Not too sure about the Nikon's, I was too fixated on buying Weavers to look at Nikon's.
    257weatherby likes this.

sneakywaza I got

You’ll get there in the end buddy.

BTW if I come across a good Weaver GrandSlam hunting scope, I’ll snap it up. Great scopes.
    I've got two on rifles at the mo and a VX3 sitting on the shelf, there's a reason the VX3 is the one on the shelf!

I love my two Nikons.

When did weaver stop?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

What I'm surprised that @Hermitage has failed to bring up is that the nice Weaver GrandSlams were made in Japan by LOW (Light Optical Works).

A reasonably comprehensive list of the scopes they make can be found here: https://sageratsafaris.com/light-optical-works-japan/

Not surprised that everyone from Ziess to Nightforce use them to make scopes.

Browsing on their site is interesting: Light Optical Works

Shame that very few Japanese manufacturers put their own brand out there, as they can clearly make the goods.

Brands like Tasco and Nikko Sterling were quite well regarded in your part of the world until they shifted production to China, Sightron also springs to mind although these companies appear to be US based.

March stands out as the only 'Elite' Japanese brand, I think the lack of a local market for riflescopes in Japan makes things very difficult, as unlike other US and European brands, they will be relying on external input instead of employees.

I imagine companies like Leupold have plenty of hunters and ex-military floating around so they are never out of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    I gave the "why" for Weaver and Nikon scopes = great scopes but no warranty.
    I gave the "why" for Leupold scopes = great scopes but poor tracking

My write ups are from my experiences and my reading. It seems as if you don't want to hear about them...is that correct?
    Genuinely interested - some of the anecdotal stuff is interesting, but your throw the line out a bit far on occasion and tend to post these fishing type threads quite regularly. XD