Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Why I wouldn't buy Weaver or Nikon scopes...

Generally scopes fail at the start of their lives - Upon opening packaging a defect is noticed, mounting or the first few shots fired. At this point they are covered by consumer guarantees act as well as any warranty they may come with. Both Nikon and Weaver have produced excellent scopes with low return rates. From memory the few Nikons we have imported have had a zero return rate so far. Vortex have probably been the worst.
    mudgripz, norsk, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Generally scopes fail at the start of their lives - Upon opening packaging a defect is noticed, mounting or the first few shots fired. At this point they are covered by consumer guarantees act as well as any warranty they may come with. Both Nikon and Weaver have produced excellent scopes with low return rates. From memory the few Nikons we have imported have had a zero return rate so far. Vortex have probably been the worst.
    No surprises I these comments!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    @Hermitage - now this is anecdote that carries a bit more weight than:

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    I gave the "why" for Weaver and Nikon scopes = great scopes but no warranty.
    I gave the "why" for Leupold scopes = great scopes but poor tracking
    Still interested in what you've got to say, albeit it's mostly bagging proven products and posted at times you appear to be bored

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Well, Im gonna disagree with Hermitage, I have had a number of Weaver scopes over the years and cant fault them. Never had any warranty issues whatsoever. My first was a 3X Micro Trac way back in 1976, still on my mates 22 and it gets used and abused on his work 22. It has never failed. At last count I had 12 Weavers, cos quite simply they represented the best value for money scope in times when I didn't have that much money. Would buy a second hand Weaver again if I considered the price was right, hell yes! A warranty doesnt worry me in the slightest, if it breaks, it breaks, so what.
    Not too sure about the Nikon's, I was too fixated on buying Weavers to look at Nikon's.
    I fully agree, i use a few Weaver scopes, a 4.5-14 Grandslam, and several SuperSlams, a couple in 2-10 and a couple of 3-15's and also a 4-20x50. Ive found them to be super reliable, great quality scopes, nice glass, accurate and repeatable dialing, and the pull-up to turn/Push down to lock turrets on the Superslams work super well for hunting.

I believe a 2nd hand Weaver Grandslam or Superslam in good condition to offer far better performance and value than many other newer scope manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post

BTW if I come across a good Weaver GrandSlam hunting scope, I’ll snap it up. Great scopes.
    Sorry, mines not for sale.
    257weatherby likes this.