Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Why should I buy a 17HMR?

Rabbits, Hares, Cats, Opossum, various bird life, absolutely awesome, I’ve matched DDS 22 with a 190 metre dead rabbit and didn’t have to lob or pray.
    Always put a smile on your face.
    Happy and 300CALMAN like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Thanks for the input guys, a bit to think about there. I’m still leaning towards .22 but might have to borrow an HMR to see what all the fuss is about

I'd go 22. I had a marlin xt 17 and it was awesome. Light straight shooting, head shotting rabbits at 100m. Ammo became a real problem and I let it go. I'm more than happy to get closer with my model 60 and save alot of dollars. There's positives and negatives for both. For me it was cost and noise. Horses really didn't like it.

Hope it all goes well.

P.s 17hmr was like a 50cal hit a bunny it would just mulch them up with the ballistic tips

I like my .22LR. Anywhere I shoot, 100m is a long shot. I have even shot pigs with it. (Mainly because only saw them when after rabbits.) Something very satisfying about sneaking in to around 25m, and placing my shot. Now I'm a pensioner, I have to factor in ammo cost. And my Marlin 795 is very accurate.
    techno retard likes this.

You really need both.
    tetawa, Maca49 and rossi.45 like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

i suggest you get a rifle that can change barrels such as a Sako Quad or Brno . . . i like the HMR and think you will like it but give yourself the option of going to the .22lr later if it doesnt workout for you.
    Shearer likes this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

I own both a .22 n .17 HMR.

Horses for courses.

Once a 17 is sighted in the distance variation between targets is less of a concern than .22.

Must admit i wince a little when i miss with the HMR...happened a few times last night...

Use HMR for majority of pest shooting cod it just works. Possums a deader than using a .22. If shooting into trees ie possum/ magpie projectiles are more liable to 'blow' so less chance of ricochet than with .22.

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk
    tetawa likes this.

I own both, cannot remember what my collection of .22s look like, but if your after a nice one I’ll have one in the safe, if you want a 17 HMR, mines not for sale
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I have run a 17 for years, the CZs are tack drivers.
    22 are good for subsonic, but I shoot Waikato dairy farms that are often open and the hares and rabbits are pretty wary, so you cant get close.

I found a lot more ricochets with a 22

My logic with the 17 and 20 grain projectiles is they would be safe returning to earth over a 40gr 22 also.

Dont feed dogs rabbits where you have shot them though, they are little hand grenades when they hit things. cut off the bits that arent toast
    Great wee caliber for getting people into shooting, as they are virtually point and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Hey team, I’m looking to buy myself a really nice rimfire some time soon. Proper top shelf quality….
    I was just going to go with a .22lr but started to wonder about the .17HMR. Is there any reason I should buy one over the old favourite? Used for rabbits on a mates farm during summer and cleaning up the stacks of possums there in winter.
    Ask Mintie. He uses one professionally every day.
    Maca49 and Mintie like this.

I've toyed with the idea but stuck with .22LR since I'm typically close <100m and I like subsonics with suppressor.
    if I really need to shoot to 200m then I'd go with a 17 HMR ... but ammo is pricey and I'd need another rifle, so I'll stalk closer lol
    Hunter_Nick likes this.

Buy a quality 17, you will love it. They are just so point and shoot.

If you later find you need a .22 to fill a gap you will be able to pick up a good used one pretty cheaply.
    308 likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I use both, more or less every day. I always take both with me on my daily run because they both serve a different purpose.

The 22lr is great for closer stuff that is within the range you have it set up for, it is cheap to shoot and can be ninja quiet. If I'm working on a property with horses next door etc then I'll be using a 22lr or pcp.

17hmr is a much more useful tool that really doesn't require range calculations or scope adjustments, hits MUCH harder and definitely doesnt ricochet like 22lr does. Anything between 50-200m is a very dead animal within seconds of it being spotted. Mine is a Savage semi auto with a DPT centrefire overbarrel suppressor, I am very commonly shooting multiple animals sitting next to each other without them getting a chance to spook off.

22lr can be used for longer range targets as well for sure but that takes time and adjustments etc where the 17hmr is more or less just point and shoot from 50-200m.

Buy both and be happy
    Nasty Factory Trigger and 308 like this.

Why does no one seem to use 204 Ruger ??
    Overkill ...(if there is such a thing?) ??

I'm loving the 22 mag. 100 mtr head shots removes them completely.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Why does no one seem to use 204 Ruger ??
    Overkill ...(if there is such a thing?) ??

I'm loving the 22 mag. 100 mtr head shots removes them completely.
    For me it was noise and ammo cost. I can't deny how good the 204 killed but even with a good suppressor they are VERY loud.