Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Will 223 still be popular

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Iv got a CZ 223 I like it shot a few deer with it to , for me a 223 is a small gun as in small stock , short action , never seen the point in owning a rifle like a 222 ,223 if its not built on a short action ....for all those tikka 223,s out there do your self,s a favour & buy a 11 shot+ mag & hand them in
    I really like my wee Zastava mini action. Not flash, but does the job.
    northdude, Boaraxa and Marty Henry like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Iv got a CZ 223 I like it shot a few deer with it to , for me a 223 is a small gun as in small stock , short action , never seen the point in owning a rifle like a 222 ,223 if its not built on a short action ....for all those tikka 223,s out there do your self,s a favour & buy a 11 shot+ mag & hand them in
    Shit man, I have a Tikka 595 master. Wood and blue, it drills holes into 10mm groups all day if you put it on bags.
    Very nice rifle.
    Use enough gun

I have no doubt the 243 is the KING but my next rifle to go with my back up 308 will be a suppressed 223.
    Always wanted one , esp for goat shooting but no doubt i be using it bush stalking for deer as well, thats if i can force myself to leave the 243 at home cause its just too good
    northdude likes this.

They punch way above their weight.

This last week @140 yards

Name:  IMG_4267.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  3.31 MB

.223 isn’t a bad round, it’s the .222 for the masses. The cheaper, lamer .222 that is.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Yea man nothing wrong with a wee zastava iv got one in 7.62x39 , always end up in a bit of a conundrum when I think of 223 vs 7.62x39 , both cheep ammo , fun rifles to shoot ...I do like the boom & smell of gun powder from the 39 , either way boys & girls there's a place for both in the gun cabinet in bolt configuration .
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Like others here no doubt I am soon to be without a 223 of any type and I rather like the round plus have over 2000 brass for it so would be interested in another when confiscation funds come in - what sort of prices do the Zastava actions go for? I know nothing about them so if you could tap out a couple of lines about them I'd be all ears

Cheers
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Pity they put such an abomination of a magazine and bottom metal combination on an otherwise really nice package.
    aparently they are coming, im holding off buying one till they arrive

My impressions based on having one for a few years. Probably best described as a Mini mauser 98 action, not quite identical but close enough. Slide safety on action and a good "half cock" Floorplate magazine that will hold 6, fairly light profile barrel. Excellent ajustable trigger, pressure bedded stock they benefit from action bedding in the accuracy stakes. Fiddly little bolt handle for big hands thats easily fixed. Full size stock with good ergonomics mines plastic but I would have preferred timber.
    Mine is an early 2000s one marked crevenda zastava Yugoslavia and has the cz stamp on it, later ones I have seen are just marked zastava serbia, and the standard of blueing and metal finishing appears to be not quite as good, but they all shoot well mines 1/2 min with 55 gr and not much more with 62. They do not have a fast twist option as far as i know, they came only in 1:12 or 1:10 so 64 is about the max they seem happy with.

I guess I will either be buying a bolt 223, or selling my ammo since my 2 will be going back. I do like the fact it packs a good punch for such small recoil. Maybe I should wait till I get the cash and spend that instead of spending "new" money

Can we start bending this thread to "what's the best 223 to buy"
    xtightg likes this.

Mine is a savage light weight and I can’t fault it. Fast twist and 20” barrel.

Mine (as per post #2) is a Sako 75 Stainless Laminate 1 in 8” twist. So has a flush 6 round magazine.
    Obviously I’d be recommending the equivalent 85 model.
    tikka likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Like others here no doubt I am soon to be without a 223 of any type and I rather like the round plus have over 2000 brass for it so would be interested in another when confiscation funds come in - what sort of prices do the Zastava actions go for? I know nothing about them so if you could tap out a couple of lines about them I'd be all ears

Cheers
    A mini Mauser action, pretty much a copy of a Sako Vixen from what I gather. 1:12 twist using Hornady Training ammo puts the 55gn SP in 12mm at 100m. If I want to shoot something heavier I can use something else, but this thing punches well. Was having a breather out wallaby hunting a few years back and spotted a wee pig at 200m. Crosshairs placed on neck and it went clean through absolutely smashing it. I'll comfortably head shoot wallabies at 200m with the confidence I know where it lands.

I bought mine xth hand, scoped for $450 from memory. Not expensive new either.

https://www.guncity.com/762x39-zasta...d-blued-236435

https://www.guncity.com/223-zastava-...ed-wood-302615
    Steve123 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

.223 ammo
    Best Bang for Buck - no pun intended
    xtightg likes this.

A mini Mauser action, pretty much a copy of a Sako Vixen from what I gather. 1:12 twist using Hornady Training ammo puts the 55gn SP in 12mm at 100m. If I want to shoot something heavier I can use something else, but this thing punches well. Was having a breather out wallaby hunting a few years back and spotted a wee pig at 200m. Crosshairs placed on neck and it went clean through absolutely smashing it. I'll comfortably head shoot wallabies at 200m with the confidence I know where it lands.

I bought mine xth hand, scoped for $450 from memory. Not expensive new either.

https://www.guncity.com/762x39-zasta...d-blued-236435

https://www.guncity.com/223-zastava-...ed-wood-302615
    Nothing wrong with those Zastava's
    Used two and exc
    Nice grain stocks too usually