Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By southernman
  • 1 Post By GSP HUNTER
  • 1 Post By WaikatoBushman
  • 2 Post By 7mm tragic
  • 1 Post By Howa1500

Thread: Winchester M70 featherweight - new models

Winchester M70 featherweight - new models

Hi all. Does anyone on here own or have experience with one of the newer models produced in the last few years?

I've always had a sweet spot for them after seeing one when I was a kid. Accuracy reviews are very average so was hoping someone could shed some light on what to expect accuracy wise.

Thanks team

I've got 3, all made, later m70
    a 7x57 featherweight, .264 win EW and a stainless .308 featherweight.
    All have proven to be very accurate, easy 5 shots inside an inch, the 7x57 is much better,
    fit and function perfect, Nice adjustable trigger, I like them,
    the only problem, is getting them out of the stock, to adjust the trigger, the bedding is substational.
    Many, myself included, would consider them the equal, of the pre 64 Winchesters.
    i do agree Winchester has built sum substandard rifles over the years partictily during the last few ownership changes.
    csmiffy and dannyb like this.

buy a second hand one of which i have for sale on here.

I believe the newer ones are made in a factory in Kochi Japan and made miroku. I have had 2 Mirokus rifle and Winchester shotgun. I rate their engineering.. Both were great shooters.
    Interested to see who comes to the table with experience of the new M70s out of Japan. I know blokes with new Win 94s and they are very happy and rate them.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Is spinning yarns
    Ive no hands on experience with the newer ones produced by FN but from what I've read, they potentially have the best barrels of any mod 70s made. I own a Featherweight Stainless out of New Haven, Connecticut (coming up 20 years old) and it still shoots immaculately, as others here have told me, "a rifle to last a lifetime "
    TimC likes this.
    Buy Once, Cry Once

According to the website no lon
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Just browsed the website. Looks like the 7x57 is consigned to history.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

I don't think the 7x57 has been in regular production for decades. In the past they have released special runs of calibers such as 7x57 and 257 Roberts. Who knows if it will happen again.
    I am contemplating rebarreling my M70 7mm08 to 7x57. Don't ask me why, do I need a reason....
    RugerM77 and TimC like this.

i have a 270 classic stainless which is a post 64 with a controlled round feed, I absolutely love it, sub moa every day of the week. are you talking about new new or a newer second hand model? The FN ones are meant to be very well built and I believe the new ones now are made by Miroku, although I havent had a look at these,everything that I've seen made by Miroku is absolutely solid

Quote Originally Posted by Howa1500 View Post
    i have a 270 classic stainless which is a post 64 with a controlled round feed, I absolutely love it, sub moa every day of the week. are you talking about new new or a newer second hand model? The FN ones are meant to be very well built and I believe the new ones now are made by Miroku, although I havent had a look at these,everything that I've seen made by Miroku is absolutely solid
    I have had a play with miroku made 94's and they are excellent
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I've got 3, all made, later m70
    a 7x57 featherweight, .264 win EW and a stainless .308 featherweight.
    All have proven to be very accurate, easy 5 shots inside an inch, the 7x57 is much better,
    fit and function perfect, Nice adjustable trigger, I like them,
    the only problem, is getting them out of the stock, to adjust the trigger, the bedding is substational.
    Many, myself included, would consider them the equal, of the pre 64 Winchesters.
    i do agree Winchester has built sum substandard rifles over the years partictily during the last few ownership changes.
    Mmm the 7x57 and 264 would be primo.
    As long as the 264 has a 26" barrel lol