Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Winchester model 70 trigger spring replacement - anyone know of anything in NZ?

Winchester model 70 trigger spring replacement - anyone know of anything in NZ?

Hi all

I have a Winchester model 70 (post 2008 model) with a factory trigger that I find too heavy. More than once now I've found myself pulling shots because of the force required to fire the damn thing. I've tried adjusting the trigger weight but it hasn't changed much which from what I read is a common problem with this rifle.

A drop in replacement Timney trigger is available but that's over $300. I don't need ultra precision, I just need something better for my hunting. There is an outfit in the US that sells lighter replacement springs for the factory trigger for 16USD but they don't ship to NZ unfortunately.

Before I spend that much money on a new trigger, does anyone know of any similar replacement spring kits sold in NZ?

Cheers

Just go to any decent Engineering supplier, they’ll probably have a range of compression springs to choose from.

Pen spring?

Ha could be an idea. Or I could do a home job on it and cut a coil out maybe. I did that on my Howa and the trigger is really nice now. Just seems like this spring is much shorter than on the Howa so I imagine less forgiving to mistakes.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatberg View Post
    Ha could be an idea. Or I could do a home job on it and cut a coil out maybe. I did that on my Howa and the trigger is really nice now. Just seems like this spring is much shorter than on the Howa so I imagine less forgiving to mistakes.
    it's also heavier gauge from memory, I replaced mine with a Timmeny after trying to modify the factory trigger, the idea of visiting an engineering firm certainly has merit.
    Fatberg likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

is it not the same as the "washing machine salesman designed" models of push fed that came out late last century...two wee nuts on treaded screw???? childsplay to adjust right down to silly light.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Just cut the factory spring. The idea is to be able to back the adjuster screw off until you achieve virtually no (or very light) spring pressure and then screw in until you have an acceptable trigger pressure. After doing this always check the trigger sear will reliably engage. Do this by fast closing the bolt multiple times, the sear must always engage when doing this.
    Fatberg likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    is it not the same as the "washing machine salesman designed" models of push fed that came out late last century...two wee nuts on treaded screw???? childsplay to adjust right down to silly light.
    There are a few YouTube videos of guys testing the factory trigger weight and adjustment on the post 2008 model 70s. They were advertised as being adjustable from 2.5lbs to 5.5lbs. In practice no one seems to be able to get them to adjust much below 5.5lbs. Basically it's nothing like advertised.

so they must have changed them...I could get mine down to stupidly light and still not get it to do a dishonourable discharge no matter how hard it was slammed shut or bumped.
    hunter Al.7mm08 and Fatberg like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've owned 5 M70 built between 2012-2021, had no trouble getting an adjustment, down to 40-48Oz, 2.5 to 3 lbs, 3lbs for hunting rig is about right, with a RCBS spring balancer to check,
    No trouble to adjust Trigger, a couple were a major problem, to remove action from the stock bedding, it is substantial.
    Winchester has had a number triggers, The ones I've adjusted were all M.O.A. triggers.

That's good to know. My one is a "ultimate shadow" model which Winchester's website says had a moa trigger. I tried pulling the adjustment screw the whole way out but it didn't feel like it made any difference to me. I was just going off feel as I don't have a trigger pull gauge.

Don’t need trigger gauge. Just grab say an empty 1 litre milk container, add 1 litre of water = 1 kg or 2.2 pounds plus frig all weight of container. Bit of string tied around container neck and looped over trigger. Adjust trigger to let off as container comes of ground. Good to go. PS, I set trigger heavier than that as I prefer a bit more trigger weight on hunting rifle.

Banned
    Find a lighter spring of the same length. The problem with shortening the spring on a trigger with a single adjustment screw that adjusts both weight and sear engagement at the same time is that they are easily made unsafe. The M70's have rubbish sloppy triggers not like the Tikka that also has a single screw. By using a full length but lighter spring full sear engagement can be maintained while making the 'felt' weight less. There will still be some creep. The other way to look at it is that only one extra deer needs shot to pay for a Timney during your whole hunting career 20kg meat @ $15
    Fatberg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so they must have changed them...I could get mine down to stupidly light and still not get it to do a dishonourable discharge no matter how hard it was slammed shut or bumped.
    MOA trigger is substantially different MD. One way to get better adjustment is to remove std. spring with one of a slightly lighter gauge but also a bit longer. You get a better adjustment range then. Play around with sear spring at your own peril. And always do a drop/function test after playing around.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
    I'll stop being a tight arse and buy the Timney trigger.
    Playing with trigger springs too much worries me as I'm no gunsmith and don't want to risk causing an accidental discharge over $300. I don't plan on selling this rifle (at least until hunting rifles are confiscated) so may as well spend the money.
    Moa Hunter and shananah like this.