Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TheWuce
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Would anyone want some gun parts nickel or zinc plated?

Would anyone want some gun parts nickel or zinc plated?

I've spent the last few months learning how to electroplate and I've bought a kit for the whole professional set up. I've zinc plated a couple of friends rifle bolts and they were really happy with it and suggested I start charging people to do the same because there doesn't seem be a company in NZ doing it.

It makes a lot of sense to plate gun parts since it's just as durable if not more so than cerakote and I can do it for less than 1/4 of the price of cerakote. Zincing is just galvanizing (stainless steel), and if you want gold or copper or nickel for the colour I can do a layer of zinc first to guarantee that rust proofing.

I can do any steel part, bolts, barrels, triggers, hunting knives etc. I can plate right on top of blueing so there are multiple layers of protection, but plating is far more resistant to rust and corrosion than blueing so I doubt you'd ever wear down to the blued steel.

I can also gold plate or chrome plate if you are in to that.

What do you guys think? Just courier the part to me, I electrocoat it and courier it back.
    timattalon likes this.

What thickness range of plating can you achieve?
    Just wondering about tolerances etc

Any pics of completed work? Sounds interesting. Is it a cold process?

@Bol Tackshin I'd say cold as it is electro plating.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spada View Post
    What thickness range of plating can you achieve?
    Just wondering about tolerances etc
    It's typically no thicker than 1 thou. Its therefore not as corrosion resistant as hot dip but that's typically 7 or more times thicker. Electroplate zinc is much smoother and can be coloured as well quite easily.
    spada likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    I've spent the last few months learning how to electroplate and I've bought a kit for the whole professional set up. I've zinc plated a couple of friends rifle bolts and they were really happy with it and suggested I start charging people to do the same because there doesn't seem be a company in NZ doing it.

It makes a lot of sense to plate gun parts since it's just as durable if not more so than cerakote and I can do it for less than 1/4 of the price of cerakote. Zincing is just galvanizing (stainless steel), and if you want gold or copper or nickel for the colour I can do a layer of zinc first to guarantee that rust proofing.

I can do any steel part, bolts, barrels, triggers, hunting knives etc. I can plate right on top of blueing so there are multiple layers of protection, but plating is far more resistant to rust and corrosion than blueing so I doubt you'd ever wear down to the blued steel.

I can also gold plate or chrome plate if you are in to that.

What do you guys think? Just courier the part to me, I electrocoat it and courier it back.
    Could you explain what you mean by this underlined statement? I know what galvanising is I just don't get the stainless part.

MSL
    My neighbour has a business in Hamilton doing all manner of plating. There are a few around but probably room for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk