Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Would you buy a .22 WSM?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    this whole idea........
    its the same shit with a different flavour...we get a new improved set of rules to abide by...and some body who starts out with idea and good intentions works right to the edge of the line of whats still legal....and then that becomes somewhat mainstream for awhile then others push it a bit further and a little bit further than the powers that be..wake up and go...hello WHF is going on here,this wasnt supposed to look like that we got rid of that ..and WHAM down comes the ban hammer again.
    if you make/create a rimfire with same power as a centrefire and use it in a semi..........you may as well use a centrefire in a semi...with me so far???
    we arent allowed centrefire in a semi anymore (lets not go into reason why...its just how it is) nope not allowed
    so if you make rimfire as potent as centrefire..the rimfires will get axed too and this time the whole lot will go.....I can hear it now...you lot had your chance and blew it..tough tittie. nobody to blame but yourselves
    and then....oh boohoohoo woe to be me XXX store threw us under the bus XXXperson threw us under the bus XXX store threw us under the bus XXX PERSON THREW US UNDER THE BUS BOOHOOHOO woe to be me.

and quite frankly.....we will have no one but ourselves to blame if we chose to go down that road.....AGAIN.
    May as well make it easy for them, make it to complicated and they will fuk it up again and we will whinge about that as well

I tend to agree with Mickey Duck - we simply dont need a 22WSM - we have .222 and .223 and 22 Hornet plus a few assorted similar .22 oldies for those who want to play around with those

for some reason it needs to be semi auto tho..

plus trying to up the power to cf could be all they need to start down the banning certain calibers road..

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    for some reason it needs to be semi auto tho..
    yes and why - the only reason for semi really is heli shooting goats and deer otherwise a good bolt action will do the job every day - and I say that with 35 years as a professional under my belt - when goat culling magazine capacity was what was needed - that's why we liked the sakos 6 x .222 in mag and one in chamber 7 rounds to stop the mob - I carried a semi .308 for years culling ( moment of silence for my beloved Rem 742 ) and really did not need the semi capability that often
    Micky Duck likes this.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/gu...s-of-all-time/

Ballistics comparison between the rim fires.

It we cut the pleasantries, the only reason this would be appealing, would be to have something somewhat close to what we had before 2019. If it got banned for whatever reason - oh well. Everything else fun has been banned.

I’d be far more keen on a 30 cal subsonic Rimfire semi
    300blk ish performance, or a 44special equivalent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    this whole idea........
    its the same shit with a different flavour...we get a new improved set of rules to abide by...and some body who starts out with idea and good intentions works right to the edge of the line of whats still legal....and then that becomes somewhat mainstream for awhile then others push it a bit further and a little bit further than the powers that be..wake up and go...hello WHF is going on here,this wasnt supposed to look like that we got rid of that ..and WHAM down comes the ban hammer again.
    if you make/create a rimfire with same power as a centrefire and use it in a semi..........you may as well use a centrefire in a semi...with me so far???
    we arent allowed centrefire in a semi anymore (lets not go into reason why...its just how it is) nope not allowed
    so if you make rimfire as potent as centrefire..the rimfires will get axed too and this time the whole lot will go.....I can hear it now...you lot had your chance and blew it..tough tittie. nobody to blame but yourselves
    and then....oh boohoohoo woe to be me XXX store threw us under the bus XXXperson threw us under the bus XXX store threw us under the bus XXX PERSON THREW US UNDER THE BUS BOOHOOHOO woe to be me.

and quite frankly.....we will have no one but ourselves to blame if we chose to go down that road.....AGAIN.
    Problem they would have is they have set the precedent for buy back - so buying back every rimfire semi would be eye-watering and take so long that the logistics cost would be simply unaffordable. On the other side, if you made a more powerful rimfire it would effectively be NZ only meaning local manufacture for everything. That makes it much more expensive for one, but also more likely to be directly targeted by an order-in-council requiring a slight tweak and around we go. But there are other technical issues such as the specifications of the rimfire case and handling of the pressures involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yes and why - the only reason for semi really is heli shooting goats and deer otherwise a good bolt action will do the job every day - and I say that with 35 years as a professional under my belt - when goat culling magazine capacity was what was needed - that's why we liked the sakos 6 x .222 in mag and one in chamber 7 rounds to stop the mob - I carried a semi .308 for years culling ( moment of silence for my beloved Rem 742 ) and really did not need the semi capability that often
    To be fair and I hear where you are coming from, there are areas where the only way to get more than 1 goat out of the mob down is either multiple shooters with bolt guns or a semi with a skilled operator and a very good red dot/fast optic and a good suppressor to 'scramble' where the sound of the shot comes from to confuse the rest of the mob. There are areas where the mobs are getting back up into the thousands - just taking over but you never see more than 10's at a time and they are getting wise to bait, dogs and the noise pulses from heli's. There will come a time when we will need to look at the restrictiveness of the semi-centerfire system as there is just not the cash to fund enough professional control activity and get back on top of the issues. Using rec hunting as a resource is unavoidable in NZ, especially considering the current debt and lack of funds out there. If I was in DOC etc at the moment, I'd be campaigning for backing the restrictions off as the current decision making is 'do we use this pool of funds to do works to try and stop that that and that critically endangered species from going extinct, or that that and those species, or do we get that track back up to speed so the public stops bleating about not being able to access that area?'.

Not a nice place to be - and contributing fact is the increased demand/cost on conservation budgets through reduced efficiency of control. As far as the OP question, I looked into it with several people when the initial ban went in after the Mar15 event - the general solution was it would cost a LOT and be technically difficult but it was possible, but that was before you got into the legislative compliance and approvals nightmares. Now - remember how hard it is to get reloading components currently? Yep, either just as hard or harder to order precursor materials when you are competing with factories making the equivalent of the entire NZ annual order for a few days or weeks of consumption for other areas of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    It we cut the pleasantries, the only reason this would be appealing, would be to have something somewhat close to what we had before 2019. If it got banned for whatever reason - oh well. Everything else fun has been banned.
    True, but not even being concerned with the 'fun' side - the costs for the planting of trees for one has gone hugely up with the increase of animal damage. I am very surprised that this hasn't been noted that often publicly, but I guess there are far more interesting things for the largely Auckland and Wellington based young greenie reporters to get sidetracked by.

If you really have a genuine need for more power and semi auto then just follow the correct process to get licensed for it? They haven't outright banned them, just restricted the use of them to the people that actually had a need for them.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    If you really have a genuine need for more power and semi auto then just follow the correct process to get licensed for it? They haven't outright banned them, just restricted the use of them to the people that actually had a need for them.
    While true, it leaves everyone else high and dry. And they didn't have the forethought to give competitive shooters the option to get licensed to keep using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I enjoy both old and modern firearms. Not having to manually reload after each shot is both convenient and modern,just like the transmission in my car,sure I don't need an auto but its nice to have.
    Ben Waimata likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    The problem is the legislation is far too restrictive in scope. "Need" is always subjective, but there are lots of people other than professional cullers and land managers who previously used semi autos very effectively for pest control who are now not able to do the job adequately. I think the restrictions should be widened to non-commercial pest control, perhaps with some controls in place to stop the 'spray and pray' shooting style that gives semi autos a bad name.

I was told by a police officer that under the old law there were constant complaint from scared members of the public about hunters wandering DOC land etc with AR15s. Possibly had the MSSA category been restricted to sports events and pest control 20+ years ago it might have gone a long way to fixing the issues that led to the semi auto ban.
    308 likes this.