Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: To WSM or not to WSM

Yip ask @Dr. Watson about that one.
    Last edited by puku; 20-07-2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Wrong name
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I see that no one has taken kimjons bait about horsepower making up for shooting ability. Must be true i suppose ...

Putting on my "internet expert" hat here as i havent used these calibres :
    You probably have weight and size as priorities so should look at the benefits of stepping back a little in powder capacity. Eg to 6.5x55 .284 6.5/284 .3006 or .280. Then you can use a standard suppressor not magnum. Use a modular like DPT and take off half the modules which will save weight and length maybe leave on an extra inch of barrel and regain the velocity.

Also note that .284 and WSM really need more than 308 length action for heavier bullets . And im guessing its often a fatter action too ? Sako make a special WSM length action between the 08 and 06 but you may be committed to the .3006 length to get good long range performance.

Sounds like a 284 to me. Just be sure to get the longer mag length if possible. The tikka can afford you that, a bit of fluffing around but I'm sure glad I got it done.
    I'd be mindful that even though a cutdown 7RM would be a faster than a 7mm08 I wouldn't be bothered myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    My short 7mmSAUM (18" barrel - link above as it's for sale) pushes 162gr amax at 2,930fps. Quite a bit better than a 7mm08...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

like the NIKE ad says "just do it"
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.