Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 11 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Matt-P.Nth
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Bobba
  • 1 Post By 300wsm for life
  • 1 Post By Rich007
  • 1 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Kudu
  • 1 Post By stagstalker

Thread: 284 Project Complete - Red Deer Double

284 Project Complete - Red Deer Double

Well it has been a long while since I first started reading into the 284. After a long time researching, wanting, deciding, waiting and working things out it’s bloody satisfying for it to all come together. This little rifle is my first non factory job and was basically the point in which I started learning a lot about more wildcat calibers and reloading myself etc. The journey has been frustrating at times but the end result was worth it! Hope you enjoy the hunting vid.

https://youtu.be/_Ev9gVr4xqA
    Norway, Nathan F, Tahr and 8 others like this.

Bloody good video
    stagstalker likes this.

Cool video, the 284 looks like a nice handy rifle, good caliber too.
    stagstalker likes this.

Nice video, how long is the barrel and what speed you getting with the 162gr?

Well done and great video. I'm about to start the same journey.
    stagstalker likes this.

Cheers for posting. Cool video and nice little project.
    stagstalker likes this.

I’ve had and have many rifles. Like you the .284 caught my attention three or four years ago, at the height of it’s fashion. It’s now my favourite and go to rifle, I’ve often thought of a ‘bushpig’ set up, just like you and you’ve convinced me that’s it’s a great option.
    Another cool video, I always like to see your lab out there enjoying the hunting.

Great video
    stagstalker likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Nice One. Cheers
    stagstalker likes this.

Good to see, and well done.

I went the same route several years ago too after a lot of research and thinking. I was living in the US then and knew I was moving here. .284 Win seemed to me a perfect all-rounder for NZ game. It’s also a great chambering for a T3 as there is a load of room in the mag for the longest projectiles. GWH and Seventenths’ articles helped me to decide, and I love it.

Keep enjoying yours, and straight powder.

Cheers

enjoy the venison.
    one question...why are you dialing at 260 yards......surely that will just about be dead on hold....the old poohseventy is dead on at 270 yards with 3" high at hundy sight in.

Nice video, how long is the barrel and what speed you getting with the 162gr?
    @tikka The barrel is 17 inches and this load is quite mild at 2600fps due to using the slower powder AR2209. I had it up around 2700 - 2750fps quite easily with Rel 17 but it seemed a little inconsistent. This is using Winchester brass. I know a few people have good success using H414 and Lapua brass for good speeds (2700ish fps) from these short barrels so I might have a play with that next year if I can be bothered.

I’ve had and have many rifles. Like you the .284 caught my attention three or four years ago, at the height of it’s fashion. It’s now my favourite and go to rifle, I’ve often thought of a ‘bushpig’ set up, just like you and you’ve convinced me that’s it’s a great option.
    Another cool video, I always like to see your lab out there enjoying the hunting.
    @craigc Thanks mate, I reckon if I was to do it again or if I re barrel at some point I will go 18" and put on the new dpt mk2 magnum suppressor. Sako sure does love going bush!

Good to see, and well done.

I went the same route several years ago too after a lot of research and thinking. I was living in the US then and knew I was moving here. .284 Win seemed to me a perfect all-rounder for NZ game. It’s also a great chambering for a T3 as there is a load of room in the mag for the longest projectiles. GWH and Seventenths’ articles helped me to decide, and I love it.

Keep enjoying yours, and straight powder.

Cheers
    @Spitfire Funnily enough their articles were ones I followed closely aswell when looking into doing mine. My setup is near identical to @GWH one for a reason haha

enjoy the venison.
    one question...why are you dialing at 260 yards......surely that will just about be dead on hold....the old poohseventy is dead on at 270 yards with 3" high at hundy sight in.
    @Micky Duck my zero is dead on at 100 to enable the most accurate zero for dialling at distance. If I have time on my hands I will dial for anything beyond 200 as it will be bang on and it only takes me a matter of seconds to do. if I am on the move, I simply turn my turret around 1 - 2 MOA to replicate a 150 - 200 yard zero giving me point and shoot in the shoulder at those reasonable ranges the same way I ran a 200 yard zero in the days before I learned to dial
    GWH likes this.

ok....understood......it just seems a little weird as it would be 12 clicks off any current calculation you use to be point n shoot out to 300. the "accuracy'' of calculations shouldnt be any different....unless Im missing something...pun intended.
    horses for courses...I dont dial and use fixed 4x on one main hunting rifle.
    tis all good keep up the good work.
    stagstalker likes this.

I sight my .284 (And every other rifle I've had) at 200. So that way anything between zero and 200 is pretty much bang on.
    25 /08 IMP and chainsaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    I sight my .284 (And every other rifle I've had) at 200. So that way anything between zero and 200 is pretty much bang on.
    I used to do the same but the local range here only goes to 100m. I just zero at 100 and turn the dial to 1.5 - 2ish MOA when carrying it so it is basically sitting on a 200 yard zero. Less external influence at 100 too, I sometimes found 200 could be a pain to zero if you don't have a sheltered spot on a windy day etc.
    Micky Duck likes this.