Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 308 Bergara B13 takedown ammo

308 Bergara B13 takedown ammo

Just purchased a 308 20inch takedown. Keen to know what shop purchased ammo others use in there 308 B13???
    Purchased as size is great. I wanted to have in truck or boat and easily grab out a drop a few deer or goats on the hill.
    MB likes this.

big fan of american whitetail ammo myself, would more just be buying what ever ammo your local has a good supply of
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I used PPU 150 and 180gr in my 16.5" Bergara to get the brass for reloading. It shot okay and was relatively cheap.

Welcome Tommyj. Yep, they do make a lot of sense. Very easy to pack and light as well.

Welcome.

The 20" B13 308 as a 1:12 twist - so pretty standard for .308. I'd go for a 150gr factory load. Federal blue box is usually accurate, but Remington Corelokt, or winchester would work. Hornday factory ammo would likely be good. Heaps of options really and in 308 you should find some too!

Great rifle too by the way.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

I'm currently using Sako 150 grn Gameheads in that rifle. Ave just under minute angle, three shot groups. Tried several other brands, Rem, Fed and Fiocchi. Sako topped them all. FYI
    dannyb likes this.

I just purchased the same model, got it cut down to 18 inches.
    I brought a box of 150gr Federal blue box and sighted it in at 100mtrs.
    I was very impressed with the rifle. Pleasant to shoot and a tack driver.
    Two shots into 6mm then I got a bit excited and pulled the third shot and opened it up to 16mm.
    Half inch moa if I get and keep my shit together.
    Federal ran great through it.Name:  20220731_112929.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  1.35 MB
    tetawa, Dama dama, Shearer and 5 others like this.

I bought one of these four years ago. A great little rifle. Never fired a factory load in it though.
    GPM.
    Dama dama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    I bought one of these four years ago. A great little rifle. Never fired a factory load in it though.
    GPM.
    What loads you running through it mate?

Greetings @drunk_mexican,
    I started using some old target loads from another .308 with 150 grain spire point or round nose Hornady projectiles and 38 grains of AR2206H. This is a low pressure low velocity load at around 2,300 fps. More recently Norma 150 grain semi pointed projectiles have been loaded ahead of 41 grains of AR2206H in CAC cases but little in the way of testing has been done. Must rectify that this spring. Hell that is today!
    Regards Grandpamac.

Great time of the year isn't it @grandpamac,
    Out of interest how did the lower velocity rounds preform? Is there a sweet spot velocity wise for a shorter barrel?
    Had a 16in .308 bolt action years ago and it did prefer loads closer to the starting powders weights.

Quote Originally Posted by drunk_mexican View Post
    Great time of the year isn't it @grandpamac,
    Out of interest how did the lower velocity rounds preform? Is there a sweet spot velocity wise for a shorter barrel?
    Had a 16in .308 bolt action years ago and it did prefer loads closer to the starting powders weights.
    I think it all depends on the rifle rather than specific loads. Years ago working up with Dupont IMR4064 groups in the .308 did tighten with the increasing loads up to book max and slightly beyond (this was in the 1970's aka the intrepid years of handloading). More recently a series of loads with three different projectile weights and four different powders showed better groups as the projectile weight increased. The same .308 used has quite a long throat so this may have been the cause. The Bergara, with it's break open action, may work better with loads that are a little below max but this is just my thoughts. The 41 grain load mentioned above is slightly below start load and may be increased after testing.
    When starting with a new rifle I usually start with some research into the available pressure tested data to determine what should be possible. Next I look at what level of performance is needed for the rifle. Some number crunching at this point usually provides a probable load and this is worked up to with chronographing and any needed adjustments to achieve the required performance. I just can't see any point in using shitloads of components to achieve a miniscule increase in velocity that may never be noticed in the field.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Thanks for everyone's input. Ended going with 150G Winchester super X. But also found half box of 150G Remington Core in safe.
    Will let everyone know out come what i think shots best.
    Dama dama, viper and RugerM77 like this.

@Tommyj. Up the range this morning, developing loads for another rifle and decided to retry Fed Blue Box and Rem Coreloct with the Bergara. Once again not good. Just to make sure it wasn't me I shot a 3 shot group with the Sako Game Heads. 150 grn. 100 meters. FYI, if the ammo you've got doesn't perform. CheersName:  IMG_1785.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  4.29 MB
    viper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyj View Post
    Just purchased a 308 20inch takedown. Keen to know what shop purchased ammo others use in there 308 B13???
    Purchased as size is great. I wanted to have in truck or boat and easily grab out a drop a few deer or goats on the hill.
    Hornady White tail and 150 corlokt both shot around an inch in mine.

Make sure the scope base is tight, for whatever reason they have a habit of working themselves loose. Took me a while chasing accuracy before I worked out that the base screws were winding themselves out. Loktite is your friend