Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Threesome

Threesome

Mid last week I was meant to take a not so well friend out to our hut for some rest and a quiet hunt but it turned out he couldn't make it. So seeming it had been planned and the WX looked ok I decided to go anyway but not stay the night. Brian was tied up too so I was on my tod.

I parked the truck at 3.30 pm after the 2.5hr drive and by 4.30pm I was on the bush edge looking into a likely gully that I frequent. I searched and searched through the scrub and little clearings with my binos and the longer I looked the more determined I became to see one. Eventually I did. I expect because it caught my wind and got up from its bed and I spotted its movement. Then I lost it, and then there it was sneaking up through the scattered scrub heading towards some heavier cover. The 6.5prc was all set up for this likelihood on the bipod and all I had to do was get in behind it and slip a round in. I knew the range (about 250 yards) so all I had to do was track it until it stopped and presented a shot. It didn't though and disappeared over the hill. But bugger me 30 seconds later it came back in the direction it had come. My wind eddying was confusing it I think. And it stopped broad side on. I assessed it as being a young hind through the scope on 12 power and blam!, down it went. The gun is sighted dead on at 275 yards and it was up hill which explained the high shoulder shot. It attempted to get up so I took a head shot and missed as it lay there, and fortunately it expired before I could embarrass myself again.

Those 124grn Hammers make a good entry wound and a decent exit although they aren't always drop dead effective on small deer. It wasn't a doe as I expected.
    Name:  IMG_7007 2.jpeg
Views: 591
Size:  7.62 MB

I boned that out and moved to another spot which is a big block of scrub that mostly holds the odd deer. I patiently stalked around a steep little face expecting to spook one close but after about 30 mins I caught a glimpse of something a couple of hundred yards away. I stepped back out of sight and stuck one up the spout and sneaked forward. Range now 150 yards. 2 Fallow, both looked young and one was a spiker and wasn't sure what the other was. Down hill so I aimed a bit lower this time and whammo over it tipped. The other one was too quick for me and I didn't get a shot at it - Im picking it had had an education from me on personal safety before.

Another nice spiker for the charity.
    Name:  IMG_7012 2.jpeg
Views: 612
Size:  5.53 MB

It only took 30 minutes for me to cross over to it, 20 mins to bone it and 40 mins to carry it to a spot where I could retrieve it later. But it was nearly dark so I hurried along to where I so I could hunt the bush edge. I was sneaking along glassing as I went. Right on the last of the light I picked up 2 indistinct deer on the bush edge and so began a game of me locating them in the binos and getting a marker, and then trying to pick them up in the 'scope. Fortunately the Zeiss Conquest can drag in the light and on about 5 power I finally got one lined up. 150 odd yards. Boomph! and down the hill it rolled. This one I gutted and dragged down the hill whole, although I didn't realise it at the time but its whole front third was pretty much buggered by the in the shoulder out the brisket shot.

Name:  IMG_7016 2.jpeg
Views: 604
Size:  4.07 MB

I walked the hour back to the quad in the dark musing why there hadn't been any Reds about, putting it down to the cold southerly. I often though see Fallow out in these conditions. I then collected the 3 deer and made my way back to the ute. It was a cold evening so when I got home I left everything on the tray and carted it up to the house in the morning. Wellington seldom sees anything like it.

Name:  FullSizeRender 4.jpeg
Views: 555
Size:  659.6 KB

All of the meat is now boned out in the fridge waiting to make other people happy.
    Last edited by Tahr; 19-09-2022 at 10:11 PM.
    Nathan F, 7mmsaum, Shootm and 43 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

great stuff...that fallow meat surely is devine eating.
    Tahr likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

What a successful hunt, superb work.
    Tahr likes this.

Great work again Bruce is that the M18 with a different stock?
    Tahr likes this.
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Great work again Bruce is that the M18 with a different stock?
    Same stock. All I've done is docked the barrel to 20".
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Same stock. All I've done is docked the barrel to 20".
    I like the design, better than mine, looks better for shooting prone.
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    I like the design, better than mine, looks better for shooting prone.
    Its just the factory stock that it came with.
    Great value rifles but a tad heavy.
    - Rumi

Awesome stuff Bruce well done

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Good to see the sun out in Welly.Gee you live in city centre allright.Too crowded for me.Hope yr old mate gets better soon.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Good to see the sun out in Welly.Gee you live in city centre allright.Too crowded for me.Hope yr old mate gets better soon.
    I live here because my wife does
    Trout likes this.
    - Rumi

Thats why you do a lot of ks hunting and keep the wife happy.Nothing wrong with that.
    Tahr likes this.

top of the south
    Well done great that you can give that meat to people who need it.
    Tahr likes this.

Awesome, well done
    Tahr likes this.

Nice work, the PRC taking care of business
    Tahr likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!