Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Artificial Intelligence

Artificial Intelligence

Greetings all,
    There has been a lot of blather about artificial intelligence of late. In my early teens I developed an interest in science fiction and got all manner of books out of the Napier Library. A book of short stories contained one which popped into my mind the other day. It was about scientists developing a sort of flying policeman which would intervene if something stupid like killing someone. It was self replicating and equipped with some sort of weapon with lethal and non lethal settings plus what were called learning circuits, which we would call artificial intelligence. For a start all went well and lives were saved but after a while the bots decided that there were still to many killings so shot to kill each time. Next the bots decided that there were other living things being killed so hunters got zapped for sneaking up on a deer and farmers got zapped for trying to harvest their crops.
    So the scientist's developed a new bot to kill the other bots but included the same learning circuits as before. All went well for a bit until the bots decided that there were other things that needed to be killed as well. The story ended there leaving the obvious conclusion to the readers imagination. This must have impressed me as I can still remember quite a bit of the story 60 years later. A story ahead of its time perhaps. Prophetic as well perhaps.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    janleroux, NIMROD and DylRuss like this.

A.I. oh, I'm not allowed to talk polly and media activities ay. Sorry.
    300CALMAN and rossi.45 like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I tried to discuss artificial intelligence with my wife recently. She shut me down by saying A.I. Is when I thought I knew the solution to a problem.
    6x47, Moa Hunter and 7mm tragic like this.

Name:  Dxj45PNUYAA5dOT.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  57.1 KB

and this is how skynet started.............

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    Attachment 225702

and this is how skynet started.............
    I thought that the response was "No I will not tell you which squares have th emother of the savior of the world in it..."
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

It's either the begining of the end or it could be the end of the begining
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

I am pretty sure she was cleaning up an m4 carbine in that scene . The same she later used, with a Terminator laser sight to try to take the black IT guy in his mention.( the terminator laser sight was released at about the same time as the terminator2 movie in the 1990’s)

she could still park her combat boots under my bed anytime......

but yes that series of movies is the benchmark for AI scaryness..there was another with I believe Mathew Broderick and a computer that was designed to fire nukes to win..end scene Mathews character got the computer to play tic tac toe/nought n crosses to "teach " computer there can be a game without a winner just as it was about to just before it decided to nuke the world to win the game of nuclear war....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post

but yes that series of movies is the benchmark for AI scaryness..there was another with I believe Mathew Broderick and a computer that was designed to fire nukes to win..end scene Mathews character got the computer to play tic tac toe/nought n crosses to "teach " computer there can be a game without a winner just as it was about to just before it decided to nuke the world to win the game of nuclear war....
    ahh but micky, only some of the movie was linda hamilton, the rest was her twin sister.
    mow thats going to keep you up all night

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post

Or the modern take Eagle eye....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

2001 A Space Odyssey also had a computer, Hal, that went rogue.
    GPM
    ANTSMAN likes this.

the movie that MD was referring to with broderick was "war games" btw

hal 9000 came to the recue in "2010: the year we make contact"

also HAL is one letter alphabetically ahead of IBM

p.s insomnia sucks!
    Micky Duck and keneff like this.

Thankfully we’re not at the A.I. stage yet, just clever programming. We’ve reached an impasse with Moore’s Law but quantum computing will be the next big the game changer I think.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

there is a terminator laser sight for sale on trademe at the moment https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...4?bof=Je9FPZnn

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings all,
    There has been a lot of blather about artificial intelligence of late. In my early teens I developed an interest in science fiction and got all manner of books out of the Napier Library. A book of short stories contained one which popped into my mind the other day. It was about scientists developing a sort of flying policeman which would intervene if something stupid like killing someone. It was self replicating and equipped with some sort of weapon with lethal and non lethal settings plus what were called learning circuits, which we would call artificial intelligence. For a start all went well and lives were saved but after a while the bots decided that there were still to many killings so shot to kill each time. Next the bots decided that there were other living things being killed so hunters got zapped for sneaking up on a deer and farmers got zapped for trying to harvest their crops.
    So the scientist's developed a new bot to kill the other bots but included the same learning circuits as before. All went well for a bit until the bots decided that there were other things that needed to be killed as well. The story ended there leaving the obvious conclusion to the readers imagination. This must have impressed me as I can still remember quite a bit of the story 60 years later. A story ahead of its time perhaps. Prophetic as well perhaps.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    yep- the world has definitely gone mad-and yep, one of the lead scientists/designers I saw on the news(if you can believe MSM) has quit and is cautioning AI development should be halted for a year to think things through.....before something goes wrong.
    Carbine likes this.