Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree40Likes
  • 20 Post By RUMPY
  • 4 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By JoshC
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Swanny
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Rusky
  • 1 Post By RUMPY

Thread: BORING

BORING

Took my youngest son for his first real hunt today. Decided not to try and make it there for sunrise. First mistake.

Made pancakes for breakfast and then drove to block and started walking around 8am. Pretty uneventful first km, then we stopped for some dinosaurs and a bit of glassing in the shade of some scrub.

Name:  20221030_091812.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  2.15 MB

Continued up the fenceline and up into a scrubby face that I was sure we would bump a deer or wallaby. Another rest stop and more glassing again showed nothing.

Further on we ventured to the spot I previously shot 3 wallabies from a single spot but the hills were void of shootable animals.

Decided this was far enough for today, we headed down a ridge leading to an old farm track. Just for one last chance we cut across the head of a small gut ( second mistake) to see if we could scare anything out but all we achieved was a lesson in some of our exotic plants.... Spaniards, gorse and bush lawyer kept us on high alert and my boy now has a basic understanding about keeping his distance from certain vegetation.

Name:  20221030_115023.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  3.29 MB

Back to the truck and a Fairlie pie and crounut on the way home was a great way to finish our adventure.
    madjon_, stug, Beaker and 17 others like this.

Yeah you're right @muzza. The thread title is more about the lack of animals. The time with my son was excellent and I need to do more of it.
    Trout, shift14, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Keep at it and you will succeed. Still nice just being there.
    RUMPY likes this.

Compulsory stop for me going thru Fairlie, love a good Cronut

Decent day out, can’t have hunting success every time. It’s good to show the young fellas that’s the case sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RUMPY likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

we will have to take him out again bud... my useless pooches might even help locate a hopper or three.
    RUMPY and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Went through Fairlie 3 days ago. Those pies are a must have. Salmon and bacon was primo
    RUMPY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    Been a while since I've seen you, you've grown into a pumpkin
    Just my Halloween costume.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nice one. Went for a hunt Tuesday with my 5 year old son. Involved a 6 hour return walk in some hot sun. He did well except for the last hour grumbling and going really slow. Learnt some valuable lessons as a parent (need more breaks/hydrate more often/keep it interesting).
    RUMPY likes this.

Yes, pushing them too hard is the quickest way to make them never want to go again. Sounds like you have the skills for next time @Rusky.
    Micky Duck likes this.