Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree36Likes
  • 20 Post By Norway
  • 1 Post By RV1
  • 2 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 4 Post By Lauries Hut
  • 1 Post By makka
  • 1 Post By Norway
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 1 Post By Norway
  • 1 Post By Norway
  • 1 Post By Stag
  • 1 Post By Shearer

Thread: Chamois hunt in Austria

Chamois hunt in Austria

Same game, but a little different. Most notable is that I'm not allowed to go alone and what animal I can shoot is strictly controlled.
    Would have prefered to do it in NZ, but 33 hours flight makes it that more of an expedition...

outdoorlad, Tim, madjon_ and 17 others like this.

RV1
    Thanks for sharing yet another excellent video Thomas!
    Norway likes this.

Banned
    I like the little gear improvements shown and the subtle demos. A lot of good info if you look for it
    Norway and RV1 like this.

Slick video Thomas
    Norway likes this.

Good stuff. Some bloody steep country.
    I love the quality/expensive rifle and scope setup, with a sling that looks like you pinched off your surf board, and tied on with a bit of bailing twine. Something I’d expect on a hunter from Gizzy more than Norway

That's an awesome video, you have a new subscriber in me!
    Norway likes this.

Thanks, glad you liked it. Will try and do better with a wideangle next year, the GoPro is somewhat lacking in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauries Hut View Post
    I love the quality/expensive rifle and scope setup, with a sling that looks like you pinched off your surf board, and tied on with a bit of bailing twine. Something I’d expect on a hunter from Gizzy more than Norway
    It works, but I'll concede it is an eyesore. I've gotten a brown/grey bungee now and a friend who knows proper knots will tie me a nice (r) one.
    Gibo likes this.

Greetings @Norway,
    Excellent video. I really liked seeing someone using a Kiplauf, especially one in 6.5x55 my all time favourite calibre. Quality single shot rifles have some significant advantages over bolt actions, not least of which is a considerably shorter rifle for the same barrel length (or a longer barrel for the same rifle length).
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Norway likes this.

Great video and a very nice shot
    Norway likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

The kipplauf is nice. It has no tradition up north, more a curiousity, but in central/southern Europe it is a fairly common hunting weapon.

All internet-gurus says "get a rimmed cartridge for reliable extraction". Sure, the rim (for those who don't know, protruding rim on the case bottom: just like on a shotgun case) makes the extractor more reliable as the full "breaking force" of the rifle push against the case. On the rimless (any modern) cartridges, you rely on a tiny spring pushing the extractor claw into the recess. If that doesn't happen, the case sits absolutely flush in the barrel and you need to poke it out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end.

So I got a 6,5x57R. It's a ballistic twin of the 6,5x55, but sourcing brass proved to be such a hassle I bought a 6,5x55 barrel as well. It works just fine. Also, in the countries where kipplaufs are a real thing, there's hardly any rimmed chamberings sold anymore.
    I occasionally have a problem closing the action, no idea why. A few attempts and it usually close just fine.
    Shamus_ likes this.

Another great watch, you sure need to hae good footing in that country, rather steep to say the least.

Yes, some places implied that severe bruising or injury would follow a misstep. Going down I must've weighed around 140 kgs (me plus backpacks/chamois), so the bergstock was an absolute neccessity - the ancles/knees just wouldn't safely balance that alone. Being able to lean and arrest into the terrain was extremely helpful. One of my main goals with this trip was to learn more about steep country hunting. (BTW the next episode will be the polar opposite, extreme flat/open country hunting) I tried to show it, but GoPro wasn't too good. Where I sit and tip the camera over the edge it was perhaps 10 meters down to the treetops below. I'll try and get a wideangle lens for next year to better show the proportions.
    Mooseman likes this.

Nice Vid Thomas, apologies for delay in comment, I just saw this.

33 hours is worth it! You could make plenty of hunting vids here.

Nice to see you have a ‘Mr Stick’, mine is 20+years old and still going strong.
    Norway likes this.

Great video. Excellent content and very professionally put together. Well done.
    I have just returned from a 4 day Chamois/Red deer hunt in southern Nelson Lakes and the differences (and similarities) in the hunts at either end of the world are striking. I will put up a short story and photos soon.
    Norway likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.