Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Breaking a virgin in, slowley and gently

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Great report, thanks for sharing! We're you in the Landsborough? Looks like Baker Creek or maybe Zora Canyon?
    Nice try, but no cigar.

Great report Smiddy. You did it hard for the last couple nights. Did ya get a fire going?
    Almost impossible to get one going in there.
    They need to do a decent cull. The thar liaison group are have no idea with nanny only culls.
    Hunters get what they want and it's a fuck up.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Thanks Smiddy another good report
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Nice try, but no cigar.

Great report Smiddy. You did it hard for the last couple nights. Did ya get a fire going?
    Almost impossible to get one going in there.
    They need to do a decent cull. The thar liaison group are have no idea with nanny only culls.
    Hunters get what they want and it's a fuck up.
    No fire mate ha, didnt even try. Yep too many bulls and they all broomed to fuck, as you say nanny only culls result in this
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Thanks for the write up and photos
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Great write up Smiddy, like the fact you were prepared (MREs) for an 'overstay' and you had the nouse to survive.......thats one for the grandkids!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Wicked ! That looked tuff ! .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Good write up and pictures. Really don't know if I could handle that environment.
    Why did you take a chilly bin?
    To stop things freezing!

Completely different weather to us 2 weeks prior. We were complaining about it being to hot!
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Maybe I have just been lucky, but both the big bulls I have shot didn't have any bad brooming, one was only a couple rivers away from where you were and the other up in the Adams Wilderness area. What causes brooming mainly? Is it just a result of bulls fighting or also related to the terrain etc that they are living in.

Other than Shelter Hollow 3 years ago, every West Coast trip I have been on there have been at least an equal number of bulls seen as nannies. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving the green light for any Jo Blow to go on a bull culling spree, but it seems that it certainly needs to be done in certain catchments anyway. On our 4 day Nov trip we would have seen close to 100 bulls I reckon, and I've seen photos/video of mobs of 40+ bulls in the last couple years, so there could be a (CONTROLLED) thin out...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

R93

Breaking a virgin in, slowley and gently

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Maybe I have just been lucky, but both the big bulls I have shot didn't have any bad brooming, one was only a couple rivers away from where you were and the other up in the Adams Wilderness area. What causes brooming mainly? Is it just a result of bulls fighting or also related to the terrain etc that they are living in.

Other than Shelter Hollow 3 years ago, every West Coast trip I have been on there have been at least an equal number of bulls seen as nannies. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving the green light for any Jo Blow to go on a bull culling spree, but it seems that it certainly needs to be done in certain catchments anyway. On our 4 day Nov trip we would have seen close to 100 bulls I reckon, and I've seen photos/video of mobs of 40+ bulls in the last couple years, so there could be a (CONTROLLED) thin out...
    Nannys should out number bulls 3-4 to 1.

Bulls broom their dermal ridges by like a stags rubbing trees and scrub. Thar will also rub on rock and fight. Break tips off etc, encouraged by fighting and display.
    You cannot manage animals by culling one sex and juveniles.
    Certain catchments would need different attention.
    The whataroa and landsborough are just about on the outside (supposedly) of the thar range and culling by ground and machine is easier in those catchments due to the terrain and habits of the animals.
    Last edited by R93; 05-06-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Smiddy likes this.

So this poor fella wanted to just go for a hunt and all you saw was "fresh meat" and spent the week taking away his virginity..poor bloke will never be the same!!

Good story though
    Smiddy likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    So this poor fella wanted to just go for a hunt and all you saw was "fresh meat" and spent the week taking away his virginity..poor bloke will never be the same!!

Good story though
    If he is in the NI and in the Army he is either 1st battalion or a pogue. Either way I doubt Smiddy was the first. Ha Ha

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    If he is in the NI and in the Army he is either 1st battalion or a pogue.
    If he is 1RNZIR and a virgin then he has just signed up and is on his first day in.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post

Don't forget that in your nov trips the bulls are mobbed and come from all over to those areas, that area you were in seems to pull alot of bulls in, as the next river over where we see photos of heaps of bulls, a east coast catchment does the same thing, bulls seem to turn up there at the same time of year then go back to there rutt pads - be interesting to gps them.
    When you've got 7 Bulls to 10 nannies there becomes problems with them all trying to show domanance in order to get there end off

I was talking to some hunters that were in your spring area last week and a few tahr seen but not the amounts that were seen in spring
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Another young huntress
    Nice read Smiddy, cool pics.

Beautiful looking country in there. Great report. I'll wait till things warm up as I've grown a tad soft.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!