Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Bush hobbiting

Bush hobbiting

So in the last 2-3 years I’ve made an effort to get more efficient at bush hunting.
    It opens up a lot more options as I have been struggling to get out for evening and early morning hunts as have a toddler at home. It’s also a skill that I wanted to improve at. Here’s some results from this year, I mostly hunt alone so ave pics sorry and often forget to take them. 20+ deer bush hunted this year so far so am pretty happy.
    All but the little pigs and the ram were southern Ruahines less than 40min drive from home.Name:  IMG_0984.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  848.0 KBName:  IMG_0874.jpeg
Views: 483
Size:  588.7 KBName:  IMG_0755.jpeg
Views: 478
Size:  217.7 KBName:  1688691660405086.jpeg
Views: 479
Size:  482.6 KBName:  IMG_0638.jpeg
Views: 472
Size:  217.6 KBName:  IMG_0637.jpeg
Views: 479
Size:  194.8 KBName:  IMG_0633.jpeg
Views: 470
Size:  203.9 KBName:  IMG_0481.jpeg
Views: 476
Size:  218.0 KBName:  IMG_0457.jpeg
Views: 477
Size:  221.8 KBName:  1680652719934280.jpeg
Views: 480
Size:  531.6 KBName:  IMG_0403.jpeg
Views: 473
Size:  201.0 KBName:  IMG_0381.jpeg
Views: 459
Size:  208.7 KBName:  IMG_0123.jpeg
Views: 469
Size:  200.1 KB
    It’s a frustrating game the old bush hunting and you really have to be dialed in. Some days it seems too easy and others can do your head in. It’s fair to say I’ve learnt a lot and will no doubt learn a whole lot more.
    Sorry about all the photos of just dead animals, I’m too bloody lazy and forgetful to take any on the timer or scenic pics.

Good on you bud.it feels great when it works.your freezer will be looking healthy and the friends n family happy and well fed too.
    Bhess likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Good stuff - That ram is pretty cool!
    40mm and Bhess like this.

I tried bush hunting heaps years ago, had some very limited success but it just didn't spin my wheels. Since using dog though it's my absolute favorite thing to do by a long shot
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

thanks for the photos cant help but notice some of that bush looking really chewed out - but makes bush stalking a bit easier - a tip when bush hunting - if you find your mind wandering and not concentrating on listening scanning - sit down for 10 minutes - think about something else and when ready to focus again getup and go again - really hard to concentrate for hours on end - worked for me and we were doing it day in day out

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    thanks for the photos cant help but notice some of that bush looking really chewed out - but makes bush stalking a bit easier - a tip when bush hunting - if you find your mind wandering and not concentrating on listening scanning - sit down for 10 minutes - think about something else and when ready to focus again getup and go again - really hard to concentrate for hours on end - worked for me and we were doing it day in day out
    Yeah the bush is quite chewed out in a few places, as you say makes for easier stalking tho. I'll often stop for 10-15 minutes sometimes more and chill/read a book for a bit if i have the time, definitely helps out a lot with the concentration fade and is quite pleasant to just be in the bush relaxing to be honest.
    Nathan F and Micky Duck like this.

Short of tops in my area its all I know love it
    Micky Duck, RUMPY and Bhess like this.

Great job mate - that's an excellent number. As someone still learning / teaching myself with hunting (all bush hunting) getting goats has been easy, working on learning better habits with deer can have good days and hard days haha.
    Bhess likes this.

That's awesome, 20+ deer is real good going, I'd love to get better at bush stalking as it seems to be the must thrilling kind of hunting.
    That ram is super cool!
    Bhess likes this.

Wow, awesome effort. It's super rewarding isnt' it. It appears there is some nice hunting terrain and good animal numbers in the Ruahines? Want to give it a go if I get down that way. Just hard to drive past the Kawekas...
    Bhess likes this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

if you want nice bush to hunt Te Urewera has some cracker country- especially some of the high mountain beech country ( some call it goblin forest ) good roar country
    Micky Duck, RUMPY and Bhess like this.

I grew up only having bush hunting as an option. I quite like the challenge that comes with it compared to open country where marksmanship is just if not more important than stalking skill.
    Micky Duck and Bhess like this.

Well done that man
    Bhess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    Wow, awesome effort. It's super rewarding isnt' it. It appears there is some nice hunting terrain and good animal numbers in the Ruahines? Want to give it a go if I get down that way. Just hard to drive past the Kawekas...
    Ive found its a bit of a juggling act between finding areas where the deer are hanging out and huntable areas ie terrain and how thick the bush is. Its taken me quite a bit of scouting and checking out areas to find what suits but is starting to pay off.
    Snoppernator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    I grew up only having bush hunting as an option. I quite like the challenge that comes with it compared to open country where marksmanship is just if not more important than stalking skill.
    For sure, it opens up a whole lot more options too, much nicer in the bush when its windy or wet!