Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Chams in funny places...

Wasn't there something in a spot x or the old doc website about them being in the NI? Someone having a laugh

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    If I recall correctly, a chamois used to frequent a housing section on the west coast town of Cobden and the locals named him Shamus. He used to hang around a lot and he was very well liked, but eventually some asshole shot him and caused quiet a bit of grief.

I'm not a vege or tree hugga but I like the thought of seeing these little fellas and other species outside of their domain and would not shoot them, I prefer to challenge them in their own environment. But hey, that's just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    If I recall correctly, a chamois used to frequent a housing section on the west coast town of Cobden and the locals named him Shamus. He used to hang around a lot and he was very well liked, but eventually some asshole shot him and caused quiet a bit of grief.

I'm not a vege or tree hugga but I like the thought of seeing these little fellas and other species outside of their domain and would not shoot them, I prefer to challenge them in their own environment. But hey, that's just my thoughts
    Yip seems some cant help themselves and have to 'kill em all'
    Munsey and Mathias like this.

Bloke who shot him will probably never get an opportunity to see one "in its domain" so good on him I say, hes put it to good use and boned out all the meat he could too. I would have left it alone even in its domain, but a trophy in my eyes would be different to the next guy, hes pleased as punch.

Ps: still trying to dream up a decent story about my best stag to date, "official story" is it was standing broadside at 100yds feeding up on a crop paddock after the roar, but "un-official story" will have to involve some big ass mountains, an 800yd shot in less than ideal conditions and the carry out from hell I reckon....
    P38, veitnamcam, Munsey and 3 others like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    @Ryan_Songhurst I ain't knocking the bloke and good on him for making good use of the animal There's some hard case stories about "Johnny on the spot" and wild animals.
    I remember a farmer telling me about doing a muster up the Rakaia and a buck chamois was spending all its time with the ewes on the hill, the chamois buggered off out of the way due to the dogs during the muster. The next day he had all the sheep in the yards and the buck came off the hill and jumped in with them. He had to dispatch it because it started getting stroppy and hooking the ewes in the guts.

Well done on the stag. How about some pix

About 24 years ago John Vass (RIP) the one armed pighunter shot a nice buck in the head of the Ronga Valley before Okiwi Bay, he had tracked when out pigging. The head was going into the Rai Tavern- don't think its open these days.

The bucks will wander looking for new ladies

Heard of a story of a tahr being shot on the Ratahi -Pipiriki Road with a .22 magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Yip seems some cant help themselves and have to 'kill em all'
    Does he work for DOC? That seems to be their policy too....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve338 View Post
    About 24 years ago John Vass (RIP) the one armed pighunter shot a nice buck in the head of the Ronga Valley before Okiwi Bay, he had tracked when out pigging. The head was going into the Rai Tavern- don't think its open these days.

The bucks will wander looking for new ladies
    I went for a solo walk in hunt up to the Perth hut a year or two back and when I got to Whataroa carpark it was raining and getting dark so I decided to head in the next morning and parked up at the Whataroa pub for the evening, got chatting to a couple of local blokes and when I told them I was going to walk up to the Perth and have a look for a chamois the reply was "why on gods good earth would you walk all the bloody way up there to shoot a chamois, go set up your tent on the rugby field and you're bound to see one sooner or later..."
    Probably not far from the truth over there haha
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Wasn't there something in a spot x or the old doc website about them being in the NI? Someone having a laugh
    Yep, Upper Okauaka Valley in Pureora according to page 30 of the Spot X book

Back around 1990 there were rumours of a thar (or maybe a chamois?) being shot behind Shannon in the northern Tararuas. We reckoned if it was true was probably some helicopter pilot flew it up from SI for kicks.
    Last edited by Cigar; 22-06-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Gibo likes this.

Are they as north as around Seddon....or are some cheeky buggers back home winding me up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mangle View Post
    Are they as north as around Seddon....or are some cheeky buggers back home winding me up ?
    yes i have seen one 10 min drive from seddon.
    veitnamcam likes this.

I could be wrong, but there was a story of two tahr shoot in the tararua's in the old days escapes from the zoo.

Dad had a good fright back in 1980s when a deer farm had just gotten started over the road.
    Went to get the cows one morning in April. Thought as he walked down to get them how those stags over the road could sure throw there roars!
    Walked up the track to open the paddock gate that was blocked from view by the hedge.
    Nearly he shit himself when the first thing to great him was bloody great stag
    Came off the Kaimais to have a look at the deer farm. I saw him briefly while duck shooting one morning with me Dad, looked big too....but then I was 5 think he lasted a few years on the river flats then jumped back over the river and went back to the bush.

The deer farmer did catch him but he jumped straight over the fence after serving a few hinds

mate of ours lassoed a 120ish lb boar while fishing in lake taupo....stuck it with a fish knife and zoomed home to Taumarunui to his Father in laws as he didnt know what else to do other than the stick it bit!!!! plurry clean pig it was and tasted great.
    veitnamcam likes this.