Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Chams in funny places...

The tahr in the Tararua is all true, zoo escapes. There was an article in the Levin Chronicle way back about it, I heard this and thought it was a yarn but nope all true.

I've seen a buck on the Shotover Gorge road twice, and have also seen one at the turn off to Burwood Bush near Mavora Lakes.

I've seen them in a farmers paddock, less that 1km from a state highway AND i have witnesses AND more than once although I no longer have access to the place due to change of ownership
    veitnamcam and Shearer like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

there are chamois everywhere in the upper sth island, a mate shot one up the whangamoa saddle area while spotlighting one night, i have personally seen them in the golden downs forestry when pig hunting, the dogs chased one down the road for a bit haha. you can see them from the main road going down the buller gorge ect... but that one in main town blenheim was a bit hard case eh.

can guarantee you were they aren't. where i am when i have the rifle and in my freezer
    GravelBen and berg243 like this.

Our chopper pilot down frans way always sees them on the beach .Thanks Shane
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Saw one on the side of the main highway between Culverden and Hanmer 3yrs ago, also saw a small mob of tahr ,mainly nannies in the Molesworth last year

Quote Originally Posted by Crekyhills View Post
    Saw one on the side of the main highway between Culverden and Hanmer 3yrs ago, also saw a small mob of tahr ,mainly nannies in the Molesworth last year
    Seen quite a few deer through there (wild ones, outside the actual deer farms) but yet to see a Cham, wouldn't surprise me though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Seen quite a few deer through there (wild ones, outside the actual deer farms) but yet to see a Cham, wouldn't surprise me though!
    There Chams in behind there alright , my uncle owned a chunk of land there. Not far to the Hoosack for them to roam .

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

A few years ago (3-4) I saw a chamois buck only 15kms north of Gore, standing with some ewes in a hay paddock, just off the side of the road.

I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

seemly tahr have made it to mount Nic & doc are up in arms about it as they carnt shoot them on private land , hopfully they keep heading south so I wont have to drive so far to find some.
    223nut and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    seemly tahr have made it to mount Nic & doc are up in arms about it as they carnt shoot them on private land , hopfully they keep heading south so I wont have to drive so far to find some.
    Been there for years. Doc shoot the fringe country with the station (where they've come from) quite regularly. Don't want them getting out of control in the mountains down here, tahr are pretty destructive.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Been there for years. Doc shoot the fringe country with the station (where they've come from) quite regularly. Don't want them getting out of control in the mountains down here, tahr are pretty destructive.
    I would agree with that. They can certainly knock the vegetation back when their numbers aren't controlled.

I've seen a pic the one shot in the Tararuas'. It had hoof growth like skis - so it probably did come from a park down on the soft country. Whereami on the other forum knows all about it.
    Last edited by Tahr; 14-07-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Yeah,when the big mobs were around they certainly cleaned up in different areas for sure.
    It was also proved after many years of survey work that the Merinos were doin just as much damage and in many areas,more damage than Thar.
    When DOC arrived on the scene all the research etc was given to them and just as quick it all disappeared,the sheep came out winners and DOC had their own experts.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    DOC are destructive also,we don't want them breeding eh.
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    DOC are destructive also,we don't want them breeding eh.
    Hahaha true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk