Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Death, where is thy sting?

Death, where is thy sting?

Righto @akaroa1, you asked for it... an utterly shit yarn, but hope you get a chuckle out of it...

After a week down in Chch for work, went out to bro's farm in Mid-Canty for the weekend. There was a loose plan to potentially head a bit further South to chase some wobblies.

However, after a stint of good weather, yesterday it was all hands on deck for silage, a bit of cattle work, and getting ready for the barley getting harvested today. To make up for lack of wobbly hunting, bro said last night we'd go and have a look for some posso's. Off we trotted, .17, woofer, and high spirits.

Barely out of his kennel, woofer bolts into the bluegums behind the house, and starts yapping up a tree. There, staring out of the ivy were a couple of beady, red eyes. To get a better shot, we were scrambling around a pile of straw and bark that came out of the bobby calf sheds. Bang! .17 normally smokes them, but this one dropped and was still running around (brother was shooting, FYI). It gave woofer a bit of a run around, then "hiss, growl, hiss, growl, crunch". Game over.

Right about this time, a strange hum starts below us... then around us... growing louder and louder... then: "Ow, fark!!"... "Ow fark-fark-fark, ow-ow-ow!!". There was a farkin' bloody wasp nest in the pile of straw we were stomping around on, and they were none too happy about it. Bro went in to the trees to finish off the posso, still slapping wasps and swearing as he was went. I herded the two nephews into the paddock, trying to get them away from the action, and all of us still swatting and slapping fecking wasps in the dark as we made our escape, all dancing round like absolute loonies.

We'd seen a possum by the gate as we drove in earlier, so went to get him. Now, either the wasps followed us, or were still on our clothing, but even while the second possum was dispatched, they were still buzzing about, and we were still getting stung. The outing was promptly cut short, and we all bolted home with our tails well and truly between our legs (except woofer, he'd had a great time!), stripping off clothing and cursing as we ran.

Despite 2 dead possums, it was the worst possum shoot ever. The whole thing must have been bloody hilarious to watch, though.

The team were still going hard harvesting when I headed to the airport this arvo, but if all went to plan, el waspo's will be swimming in petrol tonight!
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Brian and 24 others like this.
    bunji likes this.

Bloody hell , I feel for ya ! I’m sorry but tears are rolling down my cheeks …

Know the pain , standing on a old logging stump listening for the dogs , next min my legs are getting stung and I’m off down the track trying to get gorse leggings off ..gear abandoned, pride abandoned , wasps holding onto me stinging like a fury …I howling like a ghost at midnight on a Black Friday! Jesus they are turely nasty barstards…death to them all!

all I can recommend is vepex..wasp bait it’s the dogs bollocks right now when they are looking for protein will clean out nests fo4 at least 3 years to come!
    Pengy, Shearer, Woody and 3 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Yeh well...that wasn't quite what I was thinking
    But good on you

And I would note despite it being a warm dry summer wasp numbers here have been extremely low
    Micky Duck and yeah_na_missed like this.

The little shits are starting to eat protein around here, time to sort them out with Vespex. Sort the fkers out.

Flippen great story, I got stung a few times in the head a few years back. Next day when they go itchy I was scratching my head like a dog with fleas.....

Vespex, where can I buy this? Did a quick Google and seams you need to be registered to use it. I'm on a lifestyle block and noticed young wasps around this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Billbob View Post
    Flippen great story, I got stung a few times in the head a few years back. Next day when they go itchy I was scratching my head like a dog with fleas.....

Vespex, where can I buy this? Did a quick Google and seams you need to be registered to use it. I'm on a lifestyle block and noticed young wasps around this weekend
    Contact the manufacturer through the web site and ask for a contact for a registered applicator
    You might find a local conservation trust or farming group who do coordinated applications as a free or reasonably priced service

You need to pre feed and time it's use accurately to get good results and use it over a wide area

@Billbob you also mentioned that young wasps had been seen recently

You should also be aware that there is a wasp species call The Paper Wasp and it is a lot smaller than the more common German Wasp
    It builds its nests above the ground in leaves and branches and it looks like sheets of paper when you break it apart
    Sadly it is an even more evil version of the common wasp. Very easily disturbed in grasses and vegetation. It has a vastly more painful sting than the common wasp and being smaller it can get caught in clothing and is hard to remove, all the time stinging repeatedly.
    The stings are a little like being beaten with a stick
    Micky Duck and Billbob like this.

vespex is great...but you can use the likes of frontline flea treatment (expensive as shit) a few drops in tin of tuna or the likes..preferably prefeed the little shits them slip them a fatal dose
    I HATE WASPS with a vengence..dirty hot arsed germanic bastards....
    yeah_na_missed and Billbob like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks for that guys, there is a bee keeper down the road I'll pop in and ask him. I could always make one of those traps I made at school with a coke bottle and spiky anti-reverse thingy and some left over meat inside (not that we get left overs of meat around here )

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    vespex is great...but you can use the likes of frontline flea treatment (expensive as shit) a few drops in tin of tuna or the likes..preferably prefeed the little shits them slip them a fatal dose
    I HATE WASPS with a vengence..dirty hot arsed germanic bastards....
    Imnoticed the arsehole nest we parked beside also didnt exactly lap up my diesel dessert! few years ago in the old house had a bunch of the striped c..ts set up a nest under the roof tiles on the front porch.tried a commercial toxin-fuck me talk about pissing on a scrub fire! after a couple of shagnasty stings this MOFO went into arnie mode .500mls of used spraying thinners /petrol injected at 100PSIvia compressor and wash gun that really put the poltician amongst the gangstas -cu.ts stung me again x2 so it was a good trowel loadof carbaryl-oops wasps appearing DIW-dead in charge of wings. couple of hours later 30or so dead in wifes rose garden- .told kids to stay clear ..left it for 24hrs -no further problem.periodically bees did the same but they tended to bugger off of own accord so Im prepared to give em benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by kotuku; 26-02-2023 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    I found a wasp nest down our drive several weeks ago....stuffed a petrol soaked rag down the entrance hole and then tipped several more liners of petrol down it....did this at night when they were not out and about.Came back the nest day and there were still a few wasps buzzing about the entrance,so back that night with several more liters of petrol to tip down the entrance to the nest.Still a few wasps buzzing about the next day but they seem to have all gone now....finally they got the message.
    their motors arent tuned to 91coctane old chap ....

@Billbob, found out from a mate (who has bought Vespex) you can become a registered user from the website. Read some stuff, do an online test on the website, pay $63, and you are a registered user. I think it's just a way of ensuring people use it properly. Sounds easy enough.
    RUMPY and Billbob like this.
    bunji likes this.

Thanks for that, will do that

Another one is a black type wasp, disturbed a nest of those a few years back and they gave me gyp - very painful.

At one time I was collecting wasp nests to use as wadding in my BP guns and old Barry up the road called ..........
    "Got you a good nest here I poisoned."
    "When did ya poison it ?"
    "Last week."
    "Right, see ya then."

Got along with my shovel, it was under a bank and I could see little things crawling around .........
    "That's not little wasps is it ?"
    "Nah - just grubs."

So I rammed my arm in and those 'little grubs' stung the shit out of me.

The other other wasp incident I remember was when I lived in Taita - had a horse in a paddock behind the house.
    One day I heard that horse kicking up a ruckus and poked my head over to see him in full gallop with his neck covered in wasps - then after a time it fell over.
    Someone got the vet out ........."Died of a heart attack." was the pronouncement and we all buggered off home ...........

"hope they take that horse away, gonna stink if they don't."
    "What am I gonna do for horseshit ?"

And they did move that horse, but not before all the neighbourhood gardeners cleared that paddock of horseshit - almost before you could whistle 'Dixie'.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Ned
    I'd been putting out tin of cat food, sardines, fresh fish skins etc over the last few weeks but had little interest from the wasps congregating on one plant near our front door. Was going to do the fipronil lacing of tinned fish once they showed enough activity. There's wasps coming from 3 different directions to this meeting spot.
    Someone put us onto this.
    https://hawkeye.kiwi/products/pest-control/wasp/
    The lure is carb/protein mix, and supposedley won't attract bees so safe on them

They have been going nuts on it so far. Not quite been a week. Looking forward to seeing the numbers drop off asap.