Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Deer numbers

A friend saw 40 stags on his lucerne paddock yesterday morning.
    Nathan F, Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Certainly way more deer around these days which is great, and like others before me, something I never thought I would see. In my early days of hunting, hinds were worth 4k a piece on the hoof, so they were targeted by deer traps, helicopters and anyone with a dart gun. It means great opportunities for all of us, but with a responsibility to manage the resource. Great for new and young hunters too, being able to see and get animals, without the disapointment of many trips with no animals sighted. Easier to be selective and leave those potential trophies to grow their head gear out too. So blessed these days! Enjoy it while it lasts, as it won't be long before the greens, doc and the government object.
    Moa Hunter and norsk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Fisherman View Post
    Certainly way more deer around these days which is great, and like others before me, something I never thought I would see. In my early days of hunting, hinds were worth 4k a piece on the hoof, so they were targeted by deer traps, helicopters and anyone with a dart gun. It means great opportunities for all of us, but with a responsibility to manage the resource. Great for new and young hunters too, being able to see and get animals, without the disapointment of many trips with no animals sighted. Easier to be selective and leave those potential trophies to grow their head gear out too. So blessed these days! Enjoy it while it lasts, as it won't be long before the greens, doc and the government object.
    They'll only have grounds for their objections if we let them.

We have shoot way more hinds.

This whole shoot the spiker and stags should switch to shooting hinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    They'll only have grounds for their objections if we let them.

We have shoot way more hinds.

This whole shoot the spiker and stags should switch to shooting hinds.
    Shoot everything. Just have respect for the game and utilise what you harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    A friend saw 40 stags on his lucerne paddock yesterday morning.
    Is he applying for a P? If ever a man needed a SLR....
    Moa Hunter and Max Headroom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Is he applying for a P? If ever a man needed a SLR....
    Nah. He's got us
    Nathan F, Shootm and Marty Henry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Nah. He's got us
    I think you meant "Nah. He's got us and tilly"
    Tahr likes this.

Banned
    If we shoot a hind and leave a little fawn to starve, dehydrate and die a miserable suffering death, no one will see it or punish us for our actions but that does not make such a thing right.
    We are answerable to ourselves for such actions and it reflects on how we conduct ourselves in the other areas of our lives. It is a test of character.
    Two weeks ago a friend and I shot a 2yr old hind that was heavily pregnant. We had some discussion over the ethics of taking such an animal prior to the shot with my own position at the time being that she would have been pregnant in April just as she is now, but not visibly so. We saw two older hinds with the one we took which obviously both had fawns hidden nearby, these we would not shoot now but they become shootable again in March when the fawn is big enough to wean.

Aldo Leupold: "Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching—even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Banned
    Is weaning around late february?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Is weaning around late february?
    Natural weaning does not take place till July. On a farm fawns are weaned either pre-rut in the first - second week in March or later post rut last week of May or 1st week of June.
    If a wild hind is shot in March the fawn will get a 'check' but will be OK. The later in March the better.
    stevodog likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Which parts? I usually put up a deer a trip in the kawekas but never see them. Just hear them running away.

I am yet to check out ngapuketurua or even clements Mill Road. Kiko Road etc.
    I seldom hunt Clements; don't know the area very well, but there's plenty of sika living in the monowai and small tee tree grasslands all over the southern Kaimanawas and Kaweks. They don't generally stick their noses out until last light though.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    I seldom hunt Clements; don't know the area very well, but there's plenty of sika living in the monowai and small tee tree grasslands all over the southern Kaimanawas and Kaweks. They don't generally stick their noses out until last light though.
    Cheers. Will give it a nudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Deer numbers are up in Hawkes Bay too, one of the HBRC biosecurity guys told me numbers are likely to exceed the previous highs of the 50's/60's soon. 5 years ago I never saw a deer here, now I have resident population. And if no one can eat them due to the brodifacoum risk, I can't see it getting any better.
    That is true but it helps to keep them in a job.Got home this morning at 4.30am. Possum numbers are up on the back country roads.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    That is true but it helps to keep them in a job.Got home this morning at 4.30am. Possum numbers are up on the back country roads.
    Yes, Ive noticed that 'possum numbers are on the increase in Sth HB/Nth Wairarapa. Not big numbers, but for the last few years there haven't been any on the roads or in the scrub, but I'm starting to see a few now each night I'm out.