Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree34Likes
  • 29 Post By Dama dama
  • 1 Post By Hunty1
  • 1 Post By 6mm ackley
  • 2 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By Trout

Thread: FREEDOM!

FREEDOM!

Out of lock-down, DOC land open, so there was only one thing to do...

This morning I took my 11 year old son out with me to an Otago tussock block where I've been successful in the past. After about an hour of sidling around the hill, I spotted a black shape a few ridges over. A quick spy through the binos confirmed it to be a fallow buck. My boy had a good look at him, I ranged it at 514m and a plan was made. The first part of the stalk we were exposed to him, so I had quick chat to the boy about keeping low and stopping dead still if the deer put its head up from feeding. Eventually we dropped in to some guts where we were able to get along quite quickly out of sight of the buck, and there was a need for speed as the boundary fence was not far away and needed catch up with him before he jumped over to the private land.

We eventually made it to where we had last seen him and I figured he would head over the ridge and down into the next gut. We slowly stalked over the ridge, keeping low, and there he was on the opposite face feeding happily, at about 130m. I tried to get a good rest but with waist high tussock and scrub made it pretty damned hard. We moved forward about 20m to more clear spot for the shot. 110m off my knee is a bloody long shot for this bush stalker, and the bullet hit with a hollow whack, the buck ran about 40m, wobbled a lot and down he went.

High-fives and hugs. First deer I've got with the boy in tow so we were pretty stoked.

As I suspected the bullet was a bit far back and went through the gut bag, but the angle was enough for it to go through the back of the lungs and existed just behind the off shoulder, not best shot I ever made and it was all quick enough.

Photos, and a butchery lesson and off we went. Celebrated with a stop for a Jimmys pie on the way home. Now at his grandparents place for the weekend, and hopefully some more "freedom photos" for the small game section to come...

Name:  Buck 2.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  7.01 MB
    Last edited by Dama dama; 15-05-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    Wildman, Tahr, Trout and 26 others like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Nice one, he looks in good nick, plenty of fallow tucker there by looks of it!

Looks like he was quite high up? More like redskin country?

Im off to my fav blue mtn block tomorrow and hopefully catchup with a decent buck... Dreams are free right ;-)
    Wildman likes this.

Well done
    Got to love a Jimmys pie from my old local at Roxbourgh
    Dama dama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Nice one, he looks in good nick, plenty of fallow tucker there by looks of it!

Looks like he was quite high up? More like redskin country?

Im off to my fav blue mtn block tomorrow and hopefully catchup with a decent buck... Dreams are free right ;-)
    Yeah it's a high country area for sure, I've shot reds there in the past. Good luck in the Blueys, there should be a few quiet bucks around at the mo. Let us know how you get on. I've got Black Gully later next week.
    Oh, today's deer was first with the NBT, seemed to work despite my shooting....
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Yeah it's a high country area for sure, I've shot reds there in the past. Good luck in the Blueys, there should be a few quiet bucks around at the mo. Let us know how you get on. I've got Black Gully later next week.
    Oh, today's deer was first with the NBT, seemed to work despite my shooting....
    Yeah I'd be surprised to hear any croaking but hoping they will still be hanging around the does. Itching to get out in the bush!Was lucky enough to hunt a mates farm in L3 but staking out a Lucerne paddock isn't really my style of hunting.

You know my thoughts on the NBT, would expect nothing less

A hunt and a pie! Great parenting. :-)
    Dama dama and Mooseman like this.

Good stalking,your boy wont forget that hunt.
    Dama dama likes this.