Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Hunting in the Snow

Hunting in the Snow

Someone asked a question about this so I looked back at some old pics.

I hunted the Ruahines a lot over the winters during the meat hunting era. By myself and with a mate. 45-50 odd years ago.

Mainly in this area: https://www.wildernessmag.co.nz/whanahuia-range/
    Up the Mangoira/Mangawairiki and Pari mainly.

The Whanahuia sub range is lower than the main Ruahine range and the fringe around the tussock holds deer right through the winter and even better the warmer faces in the creek head waters and down into the Orua. We would sometimes battle our way through the snow and camp at the Triangle hut junction and hunt those creek heads or head down to the hut. On the better days we would strike deer out in the tussock during the winter. I would in particular hunt the clear weather eye in behind a southerly.

We had tracks cut that gave us good winter access - a couple of them are still there and kept open by people -Ive seen pics of Philipo on one of them.

Winter hunting can be good and I really enjoyed it. And dangerous I guess if you aren't careful. Some of our gear was pretty basic but we seemed to get by. I can remember my swanny often being frozen stiff while wearing it.

Its worth noting that for some of the winter you wont get past the Rangi hut, but can hunt around the tops on the more southern end of the range above the Mangoira.

These old and not so old pics will give an idea of what it was like (and likely still is).

Name:  P1030226.jpeg
Views: 699
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  ruahines040.jpeg
Views: 713
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  Rangi016.jpeg
Views: 701
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  Picture206.jpeg
Views: 691
Size:  38.7 KB

Name:  Picture444.jpeg
Views: 703
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  Picture440.jpeg
Views: 686
Size:  19.2 KB

Name:  Picture435.jpeg
Views: 687
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  Picture204.jpeg
Views: 694
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  P1030338.jpeg
Views: 686
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0286_0002.jpeg
Views: 688
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  Picture576-1.jpeg
Views: 685
Size:  31.4 KB
    Last edited by Tahr; 10-07-2023 at 10:27 PM.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Caretaker
    Living your best life mate
    Tahr, Trout, 199p and 2 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Back when they built men hard. I have some half decent gear and still second guess if I can handle being out in the winter weather.
    Tahr likes this.

Had a mate get exposure in the wet snow above triangle. It was a battle to stop him sitting down.
    He was stuffed by the time we got back to Rangi hut but came right overnight in his sleeping bag.
    Must have been about 1968.
    Tahr, Trout, BSA270 and 1 others like this.

This is in very good weather in 2015 Queens Birthday (as it was then).

I can show these spots because we didn't see any deer but they do show several sunny areas with no snow.

Name:  Glassing Ruahine tops 800.jpeg
Views: 658
Size:  286.1 KB

Name:  Ruahine tarns of misery 800.jpeg
Views: 657
Size:  276.0 KB

Name:  Deer prints on Ruahine tops 800.jpeg
Views: 662
Size:  281.2 KB

Name:  Ruahine tops 05 800.jpeg
Views: 674
Size:  391.0 KB

Name:  Trench foot toes 640.jpeg
Views: 659
Size:  185.3 KB

Its a lot more gruesome hunting in the bush where the snow is wet. and not so photogenic.
    You really need to have good experience of the NZ mountains in all weathers to launch into North Island ranges when there's snow on the ground. Carry a spare set of gloves and dry socks at all times. Don't get injured. Know how to get down below the snow from wherever you are. Keep yourself dry. Don't sweat.
    Norway, Tahr, Trout and 2 others like this.

Warmer in the snow hunting,just too cold in the hor frosts.Yesterday was minus something 600mtrs below the fog cloud.Name:  20230711_065440.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  261.9 KB
    RUMPY, HarryMax and Billbob like this.

is that a young Tilly I spot in those photos??????
    Tahr, rugerman and BSA270 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Someone asked a question about this so I looked back at some old pics.

I hunted the Ruahines a lot over the winters during the meat hunting era. By myself and with a mate. 45-50 odd years ago.

Mainly in this area: https://www.wildernessmag.co.nz/whanahuia-range/
    Up the Mangoira/Mangawairiki and Pari mainly.

The Whanahuia sub range is lower than the main Ruahine range and the fringe around the tussock holds deer right through the winter and even better the warmer faces in the creek head waters and down into the Orua. We would sometimes battle our way through the snow and camp at the Triangle hut junction and hunt those creek heads or head down to the hut. On the better days we would strike deer out in the tussock during the winter. I would in particular hunt the clear weather eye in behind a southerly.

We had tracks cut that gave us good winter access - a couple of them are still there and kept open by people -Ive seen pics of Philipo on one of them.

Winter hunting can be good and I really enjoyed it. And dangerous I guess if you aren't careful. Some of our gear was pretty basic but we seemed to get by. I can remember my swanny often being frozen stiff while wearing it.

Its worth noting that for some of the winter you wont get past the Rangi hut, but can hunt around the tops on the more southern end of the range above the Mangoira.

These old and not so old pics will give an idea of what it was like (and likely still is).

Attachment 228631

Attachment 228632

Attachment 228633

Attachment 228634

Attachment 228635

Attachment 228636

Attachment 228637

Attachment 228638

Attachment 228639

Attachment 228640

Attachment 228641
    Well Bruce , reading your post brought back memories of my time in that area , hunted there from age 16, walk in Friday night ,sleep on the floor of the original ski hut ,up before daybreak walk back to the tarns other side of Mania Ridge camp there Sat night , mate shot a deer above us on one of the slips in his torch beam , that was a close call , almost took us out as it came cartwheeling down the slip , the old wooden swing bridge was always interesting to cross .

We also had our tracks down into the Oroua , spent a lot of time at Triangle , stayed at the old tent camp until the hut was build , we took a log book into Triangle Hut , wrote on the inside ( rest and be both respectful and thankful ) Hunted High Ridge a lot via left branch , climbed out onto Pourangaki - Oroua dividing ridge we had a great access creek at head of Oroua , which we called the staircase , around to Te Hekenga and back down High Ridge to Triangle , a good day trip , the bush hunting was good , especially the feed belt , our best weekend tally at Triangle was 10 .

One Labour weekend we struck a mean sou wester on the Monday coming out must have been around 71 , we came across another 2 hunters and urged them to come with us as they did not know the area , they chose not to , it was 4 days before they where rescued .

Spent a winter cutting dead mans track , carried a few out of there before DOC found it , the ridges Mania & Dirty Spur always produced , i am now 74 and love my hunting as much as ever , one trip we decided to walk in to Triangle up river from Alice Nash , as we walked past the rifle range there were 2 deer at the far end , which was dam inconsiderate of them as it meant a quick trip back to the Apiti Chiller .

Like all the other members Bruce ,we really enjoy your Write ups
    Tahr, rugerman, 308 and 8 others like this.

BFA
    Bloody awesome, thanks for cutting those tracks Tahr! When we first started hunting up there we would blindly charge off into the bush near the tops and it was a great relief to bump into the odd track some thoughtful bloke had cut. I'll never forget one of the early hunts on a crispy winters morning, we had planned a bush stalk but it was far too still for that, we'd have been heard miles off. Off we trotted until we broke out into the scrub up the top- what an absolutely brilliant morning we had struck, nothing could go wrong on a day like this, surely? There it was; the other side of the leatherwood filled gully- broken scrub and tussock glowing in the sunlight just beckoning to a couple of keen and ignorant young men. Well, thinks I, we either walk up and around, missing the best part of the morning or make our way through 150 metres of Leatherwood, then out we pop into hunting mecca. Go and grab a cuppa, readers, we all know where this is heading.......

An hour into our disastrous venture, I stopped moving. I sank down in to a squat, hung my head and damn near cried. I had made the important discovery that Leatherwood actively discouraged travellers from going underneath, through or over any part of it, and I was only halfway to the top. Now, these were the days before PLBs, and I didn't smoke, therefore smoke signals for rescue weren't an opttion, so there was only one way I was getting out of here, and it was the hard way. It was two very downcast and demoralised blokes that tore themselves from the clutching grasp of the devils own garden that morning, trudged up the hill, saw no deer and took the long way home that day. We stopped at the Chelty on the way home for some reason or another, 1 beer and it was nearly goodnight nurse, off to bed. I happened to be working with a bloke at the time who'd spent a lot of time in the area we'd been in, so told him my tale of woe and misfortune at smoko. "Eh?" says Taffy M "You went up there, then down there, then up the other side? "Yip" says muggins. "Why didn't you go up the track through the Leatherwood?" asked Taff. "Well, it was a bit far going up and around, I thought, so it'd be quicker straight up the other side". "Nah, I meant why didn't you go up the track up the other side through the Leatherwood, we cut one up there ages ago, you probably weren't far from it, it's straight over the creek where you pop out".

A while later on my return, I saw what he was on about. I'd spent bloody near two hours on my hands and knees getting poked stabbed ripped scratched bruised and sliced, all within 5 metres of the track up to the tops. I damn near shed a tear again then just thinking about the thoroughly rotten time we'd put ourselves through, all for the sake of 5 metres. So, when fellas ask where to go for a hunt, do I tell them how to get to the track through the Leatherwood? Nah, I'm going to wait until they tell me about getting suicidal, then homocidal in the Leatherwood, then I'll tell them!!

PS A few years later I spent a bit of time in the bush knocking over P. contorta, everytime I went past a Leatherwood bush it got the treatment as well
    Tahr, Trout, Micky Duck and 7 others like this.

Great read boys. Wonder how overgrown the ngamoko range is now, that leather wood seemed to creep up n up every yr, that was in 68.
    Tahr and BSA270 like this.

Nice to read all the hunting history above,thanks.

If there was one hut I hated, it was the triangle. Not the hut itself but the mind tricks the walk back up to tops played on me. There is a continual number of benches with skylines. You never ever seem to reach the top. You aim for the skyline and get there to find another, and another, and another. I always preferred heading to the head of the Orua and being able to see the top on my climb out.

One winter trip I did up along those tops with My brother and mate, we hunted hard for a couple of days with no result. The last day My brother went one way and Rex and I another. We all agreed if one or other of us saw a couple of deer, to shoot them so the rest of us had meat for trip out.
    Rex and I get back to turn off down to kelly Knights and heres five standing in the snow on opposite ridge. We drop 3 thinking one each is a comfortable load. Go over and bone them out etc. As we are doing so about 20+ trampers in a group appear on ridge we shot from. We give a friendly wave but they dont return it and hurry along.
    It wasn't until we had finished and packed the meat across to that ridge and looked back that we realised why. Blood on snow! it looked like an absolute massacre! Blood scattered over a good half acre of hill face.

We got back to camp with our loads to find Mike there already. He had shot 2 stags. Bugger.
    Last edited by whanahuia; 12-07-2023 at 10:33 AM.
    Tahr, Bagheera, rugerman and 5 others like this.

More random old pics from the same area in the Ruahines.

Name:  snow051.jpeg
Views: 454
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  Picture659.jpeg
Views: 449
Size:  22.2 KB

Name:  Picture678.jpeg
Views: 435
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  Picture575.jpeg
Views: 449
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  Picture383-1.jpeg
Views: 448
Size:  23.6 KB

Name:  Picture205.jpeg
Views: 442
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  19Nov09Tillydeer023-1.jpeg
Views: 444
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  030.jpeg
Views: 433
Size:  22.3 KB

Name:  029.jpeg
Views: 444
Size:  26.3 KB

Stopping out for the night with a deer shot right on dark. Sometimes did this. Safer than floundering around in the dark. This was in the Pari. Only about 13 years ago.

Name:  roar2010035.jpeg
Views: 440
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  19Nov09Tillydeer018.jpeg
Views: 435
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  Picture702.jpeg
Views: 428
Size:  15.1 KB

People who walk the ridge track above the Mangoira should recognise this tree. We had permanent camp gear here and opened up the old Thompson bridle track access out onto the tops (along with various new side tracks including into the creek and onto the next ridge north).

Name:  Picture534.jpeg
Views: 439
Size:  41.4 KB

This one made me smile. Me, 30 odd years ago. Parked at the Triangle hut junction.

Name:  poser.jpeg
Views: 431
Size:  29.5 KB
    Last edited by Tahr; 12-07-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    Norway, outdoorlad, 199p and 6 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Epic spot that, I do need to get back up that track you guys cut.
    Tahr, BRADS and Micky Duck like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Epic spot that, I do need to get back up that track you guys cut.
    Do you know where the track forks and cuts into the creek and then picks up on a spur onto the tops? Last time I was there it was getting overgrown but its good access.
    For years there was a slasher we left in the Totora at the camp but I guess its gone now. And the hidden hut on the way up from Scanlon creek? Ever stumbled onto that?
    - Rumi