Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: I shoot my first Deer!

I shoot my first Deer!

I have been shooting rabbits on my parents' property for a few years, but when Uncle Puffin heard me express interest in deer hunting he was quick to take me under his wing and help get me set up.

Uncle Puffin advises that I should come on here as I should be able to find something suitable as a first centrefire rifle second-hand. He’s not actually my uncle. Puffin and my Dad have been mates since they were small kids. @NzHeavyHauler ’s Carbon M77 in 7mm-08 looked great buying, so I joined up and made the purchase. Within a couple of weeks I have added a Zeiss 2.5-8x32 courtesy of @C404 . There are a few things to iron out with the set-up, so the rifle makes a short visit to Alan Carr to sort these and to be given a safety check before sighting in.

Puffin now says he will take me to his special spot for an easy deer, though based on the terrain it turns out that the easy epithet is somewhat questionable. It’s a day trip and pick up will be at 2:15AM, but I am young and keen, and so agree. Being early June the deer will apparently be out on the slips for the last of the post-roar feeding, and we need to catch them at first light before they head back into cover. There is a delay over the Saddle Road waiting for one of the new SH3 bridge supports to be brought up the hill, and so we are now running late. Several hours of travel by torch later and it is already starting to become light. At the first location we visit, a deer is seen walking off the face just as we arrive, which is concerning. Fortunately Puffin had come in the week before to set up an alternative shooting position which would cover another likely area, so we head straight there, not worrying whether we bump something in the bush on the way.

Once in position a deer is immediately seen on the opposite face about 200m away. I’m having difficulty locating it though, and once I have there is some general fluffing around while I get comfortable for a steady shot using some tree branches and a daypack as a rest and re-acquire the animal, this time in the scope. This is plenty of time for the deer to climb back to the slip edge and depart. Bugger! Puffin is not perturbed though and finds me another but in a different direction. This requires a repositioning of both myself and the daypack which is ample time for that one to also wander out of view.

Fortunately we locate two more still feeding in partial cover, though it is clear these might be the last throw of the dice before resigning ourselves to bush stalking for the rest of the day. While one pushes deeper into the scrub and disappears, the other will have to cover a bit of open ground sidling a game trail, and so offer a shot.

I slowly squeeze the trigger while trying to calm my pounding heart. The shot echoes down the valley but I hear nothing, completely focused on the outcome. The deer takes 4 steps before tumbling down the near vertical hillside. The 160gr Norma had done its job.

Name:  big_bear with deer.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  901.5 KB

Photo of me with the deer, after pulling it up the bank and securing it to a tree for butchering.

We butchered the deer on a steep bank, a few meters above where it lay. I helped Puffin as he showed me how to separate each piece of venison and bone it out. We packed it into pillowcases and then into plastic bags after letting it cool for a while before loading up our packs. The journey back was quite relaxed and my heavy pack encouraged me down the hill.

Name:  Big_Bear's meat packs.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  235.7 KB
    Nathan F, 7mmsaum, Tahr and 63 others like this.

Well done that lad
    Big_Bear likes this.

Awesome work chap! Im glad the rifle worked well for you. You will be chuffed to have some veni for xmas!

Sent from my SM-A146P using Tapatalk
    paremata and Big_Bear like this.

Good job
    Big_Bear likes this.

Congratulations, and well done to both of you!
    Big_Bear likes this.

The first of many Im sure
    Enjoy your venni !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Big_Bear likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Good stuff.nice to read of another person introduced to our fine sport..feeding the family. Enjoy your venison.
    Big_Bear and veryfuturistic like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Great shot, must be deer everywhere good to hear that.
    Big_Bear likes this.

Awesome, enjoy the meat!
    Big_Bear likes this.

Great story, I don't think Puffin knows
    what an easy hunt is, especially when you have all the group gear, ha ha.
    Big_Bear and veryfuturistic like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Congratulations well done.
    Big_Bear likes this.

Well done to you and good on Puffin for taking you under his wing and showing you the tricks of the trade that could have taken a few years to work out on your on.
    Good shit team
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

Excellent write up, well done on your success, and nice job on the butchering. That first meal of your own venison is almost as memorable as the hunt. And a big thanks to Puffin, for showing young fella's the ropes.
    Micky Duck, kukuwai, 2post and 1 others like this.

Great result for the new rifle and first deer, that packed meat looks pretty good, enjoy.
    trapperjohn and Big_Bear like this.

Theres something wrong with your face,?? are you in a eye-witness relocation program, on the run from the mob maybe.

Aghrrr.. just jesting, you will remember your first 50 yrs from now... guaranteed.
    Average-Lad and Big_Bear like this.