Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Maintaining Relationships

MAYBE the share milker not too keen on noise factor...I know shooting hares with 270 is darn effective and great fun,but possibly using 22lr with subs will make life smoother for you.....posibly an offer to come and spotlight them and ask if staff or kids want to help out,come too might break ice for you???
    Trout likes this.

Always a possibility I guess
    Micky Duck likes this.

Good work Mate . Many farmers do not like shooting as they think it will worry the stock which can be true . More so with young stock . I can shoot right in around our stock with the shot gun no problems but they have been conditioned to it .
    As for private land hunting it is a fair bit of work keeping everyone happy and most places already have people hunting them . Me myself have no private land deer hunting spots as I Just hunt doc land. as I get older I might have to work on some private land spots tho .
    Get a suppressor when you can and you might find he is a bit more at ease with you shooting .
    Micky Duck likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Yeah didn't want it getting away, in terms of meat recovery a neck shot would have been better but given the failing light I just wanted it on the ground. Just using factory Hornady Whitetail. Had the intention of reloading for my 270(have all the gear) but I don't know if I get through enough with it and it's not suppressed so wouldn't exactly say it's a delight to shoot. When the money tree is flush I'll knock a couple inches off and throw a can on and start playing with some loads.
    I am a bit anal about meat damage and measure trim into a bucket from each carcase for a comparison of projectiles. The damage trim on your animal is not as bad as some bullets but is at a guess about 6 litres. The same shot with an Accubond would result in about 3 litres of trim.
    I see Ammo Direct have 130 gr AB's in loaded ammo. These would be a much better choice for a big stag than the 130 Hornady IMO
    Feral and charliehorse like this.

any update on the ongoing relationship?????

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    He knew I was there @Ryan_Songhurst the misunderstanding was where I was going to be. Yep the owner had told him to expect my call and My first contact is always the sharemilker not the owner
    Misunderstandings happen, and right now anyone in farming business is under a hell of a lot of stress- as are many others too. My suggestion would be, and maybe you have done it all ready? Drop the sharmilker off some of those salamis, or some beers/wine each time you head up and just keep telling him you appreciate being there. The other one that does wonders, is ask him if you can help with some weed control or something like that. I have guys do that, they will ring me and say they want to go for an evening hunt and can they help me on the farm in the morning. Its greatly appreciated.
    308 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    any update on the ongoing relationship?????
    The owner passed on some of the steaks to the sharemilker and I asked the sharemilker if he'd recieved them the last time I was talking to him. He said thanks and was quite helpful the last time we spoke.

The owner was very happy to receive the vac packed steaks and invited me back anytime I like. Still mindful of not going up every other week. The current plan communicated to the owner and sharemilker is to shoot a 2nd one to boost up the kg's for sausies and salamis and then I'll pass them on also.
    Frogfeatures and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Misunderstandings happen, and right now anyone in farming business is under a hell of a lot of stress- as are many others too. My suggestion would be, and maybe you have done it all ready? Drop the sharmilker off some of those salamis, or some beers/wine each time you head up and just keep telling him you appreciate being there. The other one that does wonders, is ask him if you can help with some weed control or something like that. I have guys do that, they will ring me and say they want to go for an evening hunt and can they help me on the farm in the morning. Its greatly appreciated.
    My parents live down your way, next time I'm down I'll keep that in mind, I only work office hours though

now that is PLURRY AWESOME outcome......thanks for update.

So got a text from the sharemilker the other day asking if I was still hunting......yep definately I replied, always happy to put some meat in "our" freezers I said. Turns out the deer have been giving one of his paddocks a good tune up. An annual that he has planted has been quite inviting to them apparently. So went up that night then the next morning to no avail. Sent him a message that I'd be back in 2 nights time due to the weather.

Sort some advice from an Old hand and went up a bit later this time. Wind was all over the place when I got there and I was seriously considering turning around. Everytime I flicked the lighter it was blowing a different way. Went with the gut instinct and stalked in to about 230m from the bushline, wind in my favour thankfully. Flicked the light on and there was 2 sets of eyes right where I had the light pointed, hit the deck, lined up on what I thought was a hind and sent it straight through the front wheels.
    Name:  Snapchat-1449692632.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  809.5 KB
    Name:  20210611_205146.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  1.40 MB
    Name:  20210611_205108.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  926.1 KB
    Will be investing in a new light so I can tell the difference between a stag and a hind. When I asked him today if he wants me to come back for another crack he said there's more up there. But I'll run that past the owner, dont want him thinking I'm raping it
    Mooseman, JessicaChen and Phil_H like this.

If the cockies are noticing pasture loss, there’s more deer than they realise and come November a whole bunch more if they don’t hammer them hard. It’s a very mild winter so far in the Kaimais and the pasture will be very attractive to deer. Here in the north end of the range we are seeing deer in places we haven’t seen them for years.

A thermal spotter or good NV with a camera is often necessary to educate cockies on what they’ve really got going on in their backblocks. I have yet to meet a cockie that can see in pitch black darkness, and it’s very revealing for them if you can show them what’s out there. See if you can borrow some gear maybe - long shot I know - but it is a gamechanger.

My recommendation is to set things up so you get out there more… No offence but raping the place is what the cockie probably needs, at least in the short-term to get control of the situation.

02h00 onwards is when you need to be out there doing some surveillance.
    ZQLewis likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

And day trips to suss out how much deer shit is lying around, where, and specifically how far from the bushline. That’s very good info to have.
    Just...say...the...word

Good stuff Charliehorse!! Flyblowns right, I had a farmer mate that thought he had One or two deer coming out on his farm at night, took the thermal down and showed him 11 in one mob ..... NV setup has been getting a workout since then and his families freezers are now chocka and the newly planted trees are doing better haha
    If your ever out Huntly way your welcome to borrow a thermal, they really are next level
    berg243, Flyblown and charliehorse like this.

Maintaining relationships will always pay off. Keeping your cool when its not going your way is bloody hard to do. Good on ya.