Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Meat hunter in NZ

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar

Meat hunter in NZ

Couple episodes filmed in NZ by Steve (Meat Eater on Netflix)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cWxVfnpSXc9dRk

Didn't find the episodes great especially it being private land if I remember right. Doesn't represent real NZ hunting.

I listen to his podcast and on a whole he's not exactly a big fan of the NZ hunting scene. Mainly as he sees either high fence or us call everything a pest and use it as an excuse to do what we want when as I do think it's a bullshit excuse that that's why we hunt. As if that was true us hunters would be happy when animals are wiped out. Better to be honest and say while controlling populations is a benefit we hunt because we enjoy the challenge, the terrain, the meat, etc.

Met Janis is Montana got him kind of convinced to come back and do a real NZ hunt. Although I told him I do wish we charged for overseas hunters to come here.

Shit somehow I hadn't seen the Tahr episode or the pig hunting I might watch them now. I enjoy Remi Warren and got some good advice for hunting Montana from his podcast but his NZ hunts do seem to ofren fs a our private land down otago for Fallow.

I thought it was ok, I would have however shot both stags....but that's me

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Didn't find the episodes great especially it being private land if I remember right. Doesn't represent real NZ hunting.

I listen to his podcast and on a whole he's not exactly a big fan of the NZ hunting scene. Mainly as he sees either high fence or us call everything a pest and use it as an excuse to do what we want when as I do think it's a bullshit excuse that that's why we hunt. As if that was true us hunters would be happy when animals are wiped out. Better to be honest and say while controlling populations is a benefit we hunt because we enjoy the challenge, the terrain, the meat, etc.

Met Janis is Montana got him kind of convinced to come back and do a real NZ hunt. Although I told him I do wish we charged for overseas hunters to come here.
    I haven't watched the NZ episodes (will do now though) - but I have watched the last 3 seasons - I can see some of the reasons they may not like the NZ hunting scene, some of them I agree with.
    Steve is pretty big on fair chase - so would be against a lot of private land shooters (or public poachers) who spot light / use thermal etc. Private land that is deer fenced holding animals in is something he is hugely against - not talking farmed deer, wild deer that are confined to someones farm.
    There is not much in the way of game animal management in NZ (exception is Wapiti), partly because of the pest classification - but also because some with the attitude to go out to kill as many as possible / everything they see.

There is a lot of waste with many hunters in NZ when it comes to butchering and packing out - some only take the heads, so many just take the back steaks, maybe back legs - watch the butchery they do on the show and there is very little wasted - it's all packed out - I believe this is law in most States.
    Some of the other reasons they would be at odd's are just the way they have been brought up as hunters where they have tags - are more selective as they are only able to take a regulated number of animals each season, and it must be a specified gender, in some cases a certain level of maturity etc In NZ it's often the first animal seen is going in the freezer regardless of age/sex etc. Something to consider is that hunters in America invest in game animal management - they buy tags for animals, they pay 5% tax on all hunting goods that goes to animal management - in NZ most hunters get wound up at this idea and believe its their right to take what they can (based on social media reactions anytime someone suggests a hunting licence).

There are differences in NZ because all game animals here are introduced species and classified as pests, however I do think we could take some lessons from overseas and look to manage our resources better.

Banned
    Pig hunting was excellent
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post

I imagine he had (maybe even paid for) permission to shoot one stag.
    Bill999, HNTMAD and superdiver like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    I imagine he had (maybe even paid for) permission to shoot one stag.
    I would say so

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

MB
    Watched the videos, liked them. Wasn't aware of his views on NZ hunting, but suspect I would agree with him!

If you look closely, you will see a bit of barbwire fence near his head in the background as he is stalking the stag. But as long as it is free range ....as the American hunters say, it is fair chase.

Trying to work out where the red stag hunt is the country looks very familiar
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Pig hunting was excellent
    Agreed, best episode there.

Seems like he enjoyed himself a lot and there was a real sense of being out on the hunt, not 'stage managed' at all like some of the rifle hunts you see in other places (he did an episode in Scotland which was crap, and he later admitted on a podcast that he hated it!).
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post

I think my exact words were "fucking shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    I think my exact words were "fucking shoot it"
    Same bwahahaha

Ftx325 likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    If you look closely, you will see a bit of barbwire fence near his head in the background as he is stalking the stag. But as long as it is free range ....as the American hunters say, it is fair chase.
    At the start of the episode I'm pretty sure he says he's hunting on a private ranch that Remi Warren guides on during the American off season.

That second Stag was a ripper! The one he shot was nice but that second one was huge