Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Month of a lifetime in Taupo roar hunting - Trip Report

Huk
    Nice Stag well done there

Awesome!

You sure did deserve that stag , a lot of searching paid dividends. That larger 8 is a beauty. Well Done loved the story.

Well done on the perseverance! Paid off in the end.

Had an experience in the early 90's with a pearler Jap stag. Shot him in the throat from 4m away when were both on our knees in tight dirty scrub. Heard him cough up about a gallon of blood, then stumble off down the hill...then prints turned uphill. Lost him. Went back with dog three days later. Not found. Found him 6 months later. He had gone 800m!!!!

Well done. Great read.

Pav
    Just got home last night from 2 days hunting off Clements, yesterday arvo I came across the Inn and read your entries in the log book so it was very cool to get home and read your post. Well done on tracking down the stag

57JL
    great trip report mate I know what it's like when you shoot a trophy Sika and can,t find it happened to me I was hunting with a mate we were stalking up a ridge covered in head high pepperwood and I needed a dump so told my mate I would catch at the top of the ridge.so there I was pants down grunting away when I sore an 8 point head sticking out above the pepperwood watching my mate as it moved down the ridge towards me and it stopped about 30 or 40m away from me broadside on and didn,t know I was there I put my scope crosshairs on his neck and then thought no shoot it in the crease just behind it front shoulder tobe safe boom stag down so put my rifle down to pull my pants that were still around my ankles and bugger me he got up and bolted down the hill through waist-high crown fern gully but sounded like he expired about 120 or 150m away {FIRST STUFFUP} I didn,t mark the spot by hanging something like toilet paper up high or log a GPS mark where I was standing because it was pretty thick waist-high undergrowth crown fern gully he ran into and ended up fucking it right upto cut the story short never found it.
    Last edited by 57jl; 13-06-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Good read. I've recently been converted to hunting in socks from a mate. I would say it reduces twig snapping and other foot noise by as much as 70%.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Just got home last night from 2 days hunting off Clements, yesterday arvo I came across the Inn and read your entries in the log book so it was very cool to get home and read your post. Well done on tracking down the stag
    Thats awesome mate, bloody welcome surprise that place
    Pav likes this.

man you are going to LOVE that EBRG..... they are a wonderful reliable rifle whatever the calibre.... I owned one in 270 for 30 years so know a thing or two about making them tick...feel free to flick me PM... Trigger dead easy to adjust, a quick bedding job is posible and dead cheap..they come from factory with a blob of hot glue..I SHIT YOU NOT..... those two stags are a fine reminder of the trip and effort you put in... getting the drop on a sika tells me you are pretty good at mousing along.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Good read. I've recently been converted to hunting in socks from a mate. I would say it reduces twig snapping and other foot noise by as much as 70%.
    walk down tarseal road in bare feet...by 10 yards you will be putting foot down flat and rolling foot sideways,little toe-big toe instead of heal toe..... its the quickest way I know to teach someone how to stalk walk..... you walk on muscle not on bone.
    Carbine, Rusky and sharps no 1 like this.

Great trip report , and really good you found the stag in the end.
    Carbine likes this.

Good work, very lucky to have located that stag, nice one too!
    Carbine likes this.

Well done mate, you've had better luck than me with those Japs, still haven't decked one.....
    Carbine likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Well done mate, you've had better luck than me with those Japs, still haven't decked one.....
    In fairness though i probably had 4 more weeks hunting them then most this roar, i think added up it was about 5 weeks in the bush