Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: MORNING SPRINTER

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    .270....There's your problem right there, better get a .243 and the problems will stop
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    'The biggest part' is not the correct aiming spot !
    Well there is always the exception to any rule...

I shot a fallow spiker between the eyes in the torch light at 100m after an easy "take a mate and his mate" afternoon hunting that failed. (Mate's mate was too slow and wouldnt listen to me anyway).

I hit this spiker with the .243 in the forehead and he sacked as expected. I thought "i dont need to take my rifle with me, its dead as" like the other many headshot deer i've taken over the years.
    I head over there with just a headlight, knife and Mate no2. Mate no1 is at the bike holding his torch on where the deer was.
    I get there and see the deer had fallen into a dry creek gut and is sitting up looking groggy as! He has two long sharp spikes for a fallow. I tell Mate no2 to give me a hand as i'll grab it and cut its throat. Mate no2 decides nah i'm off to go get a rifle but doesnt listen when i tell him to stay.
    I jump down in the creek bed with spiky and quickly come up behind him and grab his two spikes. Spiky realises the shit is going down and springs to life! I've twisted his face into his side and pulled him down like i've done to other animals before, but cant get him on his side enough to get his hooves away from the ground. Me and spiky are doing donuts on the creek bed both getting cut up.
    I'm squealing for Mate no2 to give me some help cause i'm running out of energy and dont want to let go of these long spikes! "It's gonna f##king spike me if i let go". Mate no2 is AWOL. Mate no1 is yelling at Mate no2 to help me!

Mate no2 finally appears after what feels an age. He dives in to add weight but i lose grip on one spike and get pushed down to the rear end and start coping hooves to my arms. I'm yelling at Mate no2 to grab the F##king spike cause im loosing the second and getting kicked to shit!
    Mate 2 is saying i dont think i can hold him! I'm thinking bullshit, i'm 60kg wet and he is 90kg fit and the deer is almost knackered!
    We get it mostly under control, i get my knife out. I stab it in the neck under the chin and push the knife out forward so i dont cut Mate no2. Arteries are cut and we both jump back. Poor Spiky is finished.
    Spiky had a 50mm round bit of skin missing off his head in front of his spikes dead center

Multiple lessons learned there...
    Btw thats the second fallow i've seen shot unconcious and woken up. Mate no1 did it to his second deer he'd shot with the same .243 a few years before!
    Padox, Joe_90 and Jake77 like this.

Im no light weight,but wrestling the buck on my own.Nop those bucks have got very strong big necks,one quick turn around with those antlers in yr old body.Youl get some serius injurys and the buck dont stop goring you when you are hurt either.They fighting for their lives.
    Roarless20 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yes I have this thing about fallow...can shoot reds deader than a dead thing NO TROUBLE...but them peski fallow cause me no end of grief...much to RUMPYs amusement I believe.....just cant seem to get it right with them at all.
    Not sure what you mean @Micky Duck. They end up dead once you finish shooting.
    Trout, 257weatherby and Micky Duck like this.

Pound for pound I think fallow are tougher than reds or sika. I’ve lost a couple over the years. I once shot a buck at about 150yd with a 308 150sst. The shot wasnt quite on the money and looked like it broke a foreleg quite high up, but that buck ran flat out on 3 legs and disappeared into a gorge never to be seen again. I expected to find him just over the lip of the gorge as he should’ve sustained some serious damage in the lower chest region as well, but despite a thorough search I just couldn’t locate him. Fucked me off big time, was the first deer I ever lost, and reinforced to me how tough they are
    Trout likes this.

Just have to watch one giving a red twice its size with 15 inches more antler a tong up to realise they're tough little bastards!
    Trout, superdiver and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.