Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: MORNING SURPRISE

MORNING SURPRISE

Managed to get away for an over nighter,had to be back home by 10.30am the next morning.Got to the riverbed by 9pm.Watched a nice area till after dark.Bugger nothing around,windy rainy night.Next morning about 5am i decided to drive out of the riverbed on a track i knew well.Turn the trucks light off as i could just see the track in the early morning light.Didnt want to spook any deer i might surprize.Hmm long way to go home and no deer,bugger it.I drove around a island of broom to spy on a group of willows and tall broom,deer like to hide in.Still dark enough i glanced thru my thermals,woow to my surprise there was a stag and 2 yearlings standing in the high broom by willows.I quickly got out of the truck with out slamming the door,got my 308 which still had the thermal clip on the day scope.Across the bonnet i lined up the 3 deer waiting for them to come out of the tall broom.Big stag was on to me even in half morning darkness.The 2 yearlings were still thinking about what to do.I knew the range was about 330yds.I dialed up the day scope to 3".Focased the clip on,perfect picture.One yearling walked out onto the riverbed.i didnt waste any time,bang i heard a good wack,its down.The second yearling ran out to find his mate,the 308 was quick on to him,wack hes down.Delt to the deer and got home by 10.30am,time to start my house keeping job.My wife was happy for me,deer and home for work in good time.
    Name:  20230119_202139 (1).jpg
Views: 525
Size:  764.9 KB
    Name:  20230119_202232 (1).jpg
Views: 538
Size:  1.40 MB
    Nathan F, Tahr, nor-west and 30 others like this.

green river boning knife perhaps????
    those deer look oh so clean....and oh so tasty. enjoy the venison.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Nice work!

The skins on those look really nice and the animals seem to have good condition. Some of the reds we've tipped over seem quite scruffy and have dull coats in comparison.
    Trout likes this.

Had some thick rump steak last night.Just cooked thru,drop of mint sauce on top.Fryed puds and silver beet.Washed down with some colds Speights.Nice.
    ANTSMAN and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Managed to get away for an over nighter,had to be back home by 10.30am the next morning.Got to the riverbed by 9pm.Watched a nice area till after dark.Bugger nothing around,windy rainy night.Next morning about 5am i decided to drive out of the riverbed on a track i knew well.Turn the trucks light off as i could just see the track in the early morning light.Didnt want to spook any deer i might surprize.Hmm long way to go home and no deer,bugger it.I drove around a island of broom to spy on a group of willows and tall broom,deer like to hide in.Still dark enough i glanced thru my thermals,woow to my surprise there was a stag and 2 yearlings standing in the high broom by willows.I quickly got out of the truck with out slamming the door,got my 308 which still had the thermal clip on the day scope.Across the bonnet i lined up the 3 deer waiting for them to come out of the tall broom.Big stag was on to me even in half morning darkness.The 2 yearlings were still thinking about what to do.I knew the range was about 330yds.I dialed up the day scope to 3".Focased the clip on,perfect picture.One yearling walked out onto the riverbed.i didnt waste any time,bang i heard a good wack,its down.The second yearling ran out to find his mate,the 308 was quick on to him,wack hes down.Delt to the deer and got home by 10.30am,time to start my house keeping job.My wife was happy for me,deer and home for work in good time.
    Attachment 215015
    Attachment 215016
    Where they have been living they should be quite yummy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    green river boning knife perhaps????
    those deer look oh so clean....and oh so tasty. enjoy the venison.
    No name on the knife,but my father was using it at the Pareora freezing works way back in the early 60s.Holds a good edge,good for back steaks and sholders extractions.I use a longer blade knife to reach down for the back wheels.
    Micky Duck likes this.

interesting.....I take off back wheels from inside ,by udder if you like,blade length doesnt matter at all..the fallow I did on weekend,did the whole dressing out n boning with the H&F gerber gator takeoff they gave away with licences a few years back..LOVE that wee knife with its fat plastic handle.
    Trout likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Great work Grant.
    Tahr and Trout like this.
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    interesting.....I take off back wheels from inside ,by udder if you like,blade length doesnt matter at all..the fallow I did on weekend,did the whole dressing out n boning with the H&F gerber gator takeoff they gave away with licences a few years back..LOVE that wee knife with its fat plastic handle.
    I do take back wheels off from inside MD.Just that im 1.9mtrs tall and its a long way down the inside to ground level with my old stiff back bent over.Old farts problem sometimes.lols
    nor-west and ANTSMAN like this.

Nice! Those are some plumb deers!
    Trout likes this.

Keep harvesting
    Trout and caberslash like this.

Beautiful coats and condition.
    Trout likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Interesting that they have nice skins and good condition.Just riverbed deer with a few bush mountains around them.Just 18ks from the main divide.

@Trout I had a look at a thermal clip on a while ago and ditched the idea as I couldn't get it to re attach and hold zero. Do you encounter that with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    @Trout I had a look at a thermal clip on a while ago and ditched the idea as I couldn't get it to re attach and hold zero. Do you encounter that with yours.
    My old.pulsar core fx was awesome, could shoot deer in dark bushy scrub holes that you couldn't see through in full daylight at 420m