Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: New Year Party

  1. #1
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,214

    New Year Party

    Wife is in the UK for a few weeks so I had a free pass. So it was off to the Kawekas chasing Sika for 2 days and 3 nights.

    I had a great spell of weather save for a brief evening thunder storm which soon passed, and brought out the deer who seem to like some dressing on their salad.

    I saw 9 deer, spooked a couple I didn't see and got whistled at by heaps more. They came within 25 yards of my camp at night whistling away and one night I had one in my torch.

    Its been a great feed year so they all looked in pretty good order compared with the the condition they usually look to be in. They are out at some strange times of the day at the moment scoffing the Tute and soft feed.

    I shot one at 11am the last day of the year 325 yards down a hell hole of a gully - a fat 2 year hind. I took a pic of its dry udder to send to my sons, because they give me shit if I can't prove the hinds I shoot are dry The 300saum with 150 grn Barnes was a bit over kill so as you can imagine it just poll axed it. The damage from the Barnes wasn't excessive though and I retrieved one of the shoulders. The next morning there was another one grazing within 25 yards of the gut bag, quite unconcerned. It was safe because I didn't intend to do the trip down and back for a second time.

    I missed a couple, which without sounding cocky was unusual. One spiker Tilly winded me down to in the scrub and we got to within 30 yards of it. It gave a squeak and dashed across an opening and even as I pulled the trigger I knew I hadn't given it enough lead. Tilly confirmed the miss with disgust.

    The other miss was after the thunder storm and my scope was wet and foggy - the 2 cross hair thing. I could just see this 4 pointer's head and neck poking out of the scrub at 280 yards and it was acting like it had seen me. I rushed the attempted neck shot shot instead of cleaning the lens and taking my time. So another miss. Tilly bit my ankle.

    New Years Eve Tilly and I sat around the fire singing.

    It was a good trip although I found it pretty tough on the old bod. Trying too hard to be young I think. Quite a bit of sleeping going on now I'm home.

    Pics:

    Here's the gully I had to go to the bottom of to retrieve the deer. Took me an hour to come back up. It would have been over 30 degrees and because it was meant to be a morning hunt and back to the camp by 9am I didn't have any water, Bugger, and silly. The GPS said that it was 1000 feet in elevation from the top to the bottom.

    [Pics are mucked up, will post this one later when the site or my computer behaves]

    This is Tilly singing away with me on New Years Eve...

    Name:  IMG_1020 2.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  6.13 MB

    Name:  IMG_1071.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  4.00 MB

    Name:  IMG_1041.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  4.51 MB

    [ATTACH]102042[/ATTACH

    Name:  IMG_1187 2.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  2.66 MB

    Name:  IMG_1171 2.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  6.09 MB

    Name:  IMG_1161.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  5.56 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tahr; 03-01-2019 at 08:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    19,207
    Good stuff Bruce.
    I cant wait to get back up there.....might try plan a trip late nov early dec, would you recon the tute would be sprouting by then?
    Tahr likes this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Paengaroa, Te Puke
    Posts
    1,621
    Great trip, those deer look in good nick alright. Haven't chased sika for a number of years now, used to spend a lot of time around the Te Iringa, Tiki Tiki area and did alright. Been thinking of doing a walk down around Jap Creek area for a few days but maybe a bit later on after the Xmas rush. You can have a few days off now and then hit the hills again, maybe?
    Tahr likes this.

  4. #4
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Good stuff Bruce.
    I cant wait to get back up there.....might try plan a trip late nov early dec, would you recon the tute would be sprouting by then?
    @veitnamcam You should be ok. Ive been in there in late October and it was pretty patchy though. The deer were fair scoffing into it this trip (I have some nice vids) but I noticed it was hardening off in the sunny spots.
    Last edited by Tahr; 03-01-2019 at 09:07 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,928
    How do you tell how much lead you need and how much to compensate for shooting up hill and down hill? I like the summer coat. Looks neat.

    professional spooker
    Tahr likes this.

  6. #6
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Great trip, those deer look in good nick alright. Haven't chased sika for a number of years now, used to spend a lot of time around the Te Iringa, Tiki Tiki area and did alright. Been thinking of doing a walk down around Jap Creek area for a few days but maybe a bit later on after the Xmas rush. You can have a few days off now and then hit the hills again, maybe?
    @Mooseman you have to make the time. No one ever died saying "I wish I hadn't spent so much time hunting"
    veitnamcam and Mooseman like this.

  7. #7
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    How do you tell how much lead you need and how much to compensate for shooting up hill and down hill? I like the summer coat. Looks neat.

    professional spooker

    Its difficult. For the lead if your rifle is static and not swinging with the deer you will miss. That one I missed I froze the rifle a bit and could see its arse in the frame as I fired. I needed to see its brisket or front part to hit it. At longer range the reticle needs to be in front of the deer and you need to be swinging when you fire.

    For the elevation, up and down hill you will shoot high, but it needs to be pretty steep to make you miss a deer. Fancy pants ballistic tables can give you the info but you age a couple of years while you work it all out and I can't afford that. So if its steep I range them, adjust the scope for the range and aim tad lower, but never off the deers body.

    Yes, the coat was beautiful. Some I saw were not as red but still more brownish. As I cut into it to get the back steaks I thought what a shame she had a great big bullet hole in her.
    Russian 22. likes this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Paengaroa, Te Puke
    Posts
    1,621
    That's so true, it's hard to hunt elsewhere when we have a great spot close to home, but yes it will be nice chasing to crafty deer again.
    Tahr likes this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Its difficult. For the lead if your rifle is static and not swinging with the deer you will miss. That one I missed I froze the rifle a bit and could see its arse in the frame as I fired. I needed to see its brisket or front part to hit it. At longer range the reticle needs to be in front of the deer and you need to be swinging when you fire.

    For the elevation, up and down hill you will shoot high, but it needs to be pretty steep to make you miss a deer. Fancy pants ballistic tables can give you the info but you age a couple of years while you work it all out and I can't afford that. So if its steep I range them, adjust the scope for the range and aim tad lower, but never off the deers body.

    Yes, the coat was beautiful. Some I saw were not as red but still more brownish. As I cut into it to get the back steaks I thought what a shame she had a great big bullet hole in her.
    Ah. Like with ducks you have to follow through.

    Ok. Makes sense. Aim for the lower half and it'll work out.

    Have you ever tanned one? Would make a nice wall hanger

    professional spooker
    Tahr likes this.

  10. #10
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Ah. Like with ducks you have to follow through.

    Ok. Makes sense. Aim for the lower half and it'll work out.

    Have you ever tanned one? Would make a nice wall hanger

    professional spooker
    Yes, they are nice. Tried it my self with Ledretters (sp?) formula which was ok but professionally done is best. Tahr come out well but the bull skins seem to shed their hair.
    Russian 22. likes this.

  11. #11
    Member ANTSMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    1,210
    nice one!
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    625
    Very nice!
    Tahr likes this.

  13. #13
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    1,997
    Thanks Bruce, another great report
    Tahr likes this.

  14. #14
    Member Hbwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Great trip, those deer look in good nick alright. Haven't chased sika for a number of years now, used to spend a lot of time around the Te Iringa, Tiki Tiki area and did alright. Been thinking of doing a walk down around Jap Creek area for a few days but maybe a bit later on after the Xmas rush. You can have a few days off now and then hit the hills again, maybe?
    mooseman I hope yre not referring to jap creek by the Donald river,I was in at the lawarance and resembled a second hard 4wd sales yard,

  15. #15
    Member Hbwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    38
    Second hand 4wd sales yard,its fair to say it got hammers over Xmas new year,in saying that though I was wandering down the river track,heard a noise thought it was hunters/fishermen and blow me over a yearling walked out onto the track not yen yards in front of me,being so close to the carpark I wasn't keen to shoot so gave her a whistle,I've never seen a deer's eyes so wide

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. PARTY AT MY HOUSE!!!!!
    By Miami_JBT in forum Off topic
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 04-12-2016, 02:56 PM
  2. Party @ Rushy's ???
    By upnorth uplander in forum Upcoming Events
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM
  3. stag party
    By petree in forum Hunting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 07:05 PM
  4. New Party
    By Wetgumboot in forum Off topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!