Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree43Likes
  • 33 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Nathan F
  • 2 Post By Pengy
  • 2 Post By tiroahunta
  • 2 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By hebe
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Rare overnighter produces the goods

Rare overnighter produces the goods

With the long weekend thought it was time caught up with my good mate and fellow forum member Pengy.
    Decided to take the friday off and if he was keen do a overnighter in a well known spot and try get him a deer and just have a couple days chilling.

He was keen, so told him where to go (lol) and he go down earlier and set up camp and i get there mid afternoon as had some things to organise plus had plans
    night before so wasnt going to go to early.
    Woke to a great day, and was on the road by 1030am and arrived to find the camp getting organised to a stinking hot day.

Too hot to do much so we just chilled until later where i had a plan to hunt the river flats until dark and Pengy would stake out a couple of clearings which had a fair amount
    of sign.
    So 5pm i was off, first plan was stalk the bush above some flats and head in further up the valley and see what i can see.

Name:  DSCF2044.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  593.6 KB

After leaving the camp the bush wasnt very user friendly where i was heading and the wind was all over the place .
    Came to a couple of nice river flats with plenty of sign but the wind was all wrong so i changed plans and headed for some more open bush and with the wind in my favour.

Name:  DSCF2043.JPG
Views: 424
Size:  631.1 KB

Wasnt much sign in the bush so after a couple of hours its now after 7pm so i head for the tracks that lead near the flats and head away further from camp and see if i get lucky with a deer heading to the grass.

About 745pm thinking i better start heading back i see a brown, tall shape about 150-170m ahead then it starts moving!
    Its a deer, and looks to be a stag of sorts so i get a good rest and wait for it to come into view.

Couple of minutes past and no deer comes into view, wheres it gone? Decide to get up for a look and cant see anything , bugger, it must be in the bush edge.
    So i hug the bush to my left so im out of view and head closer to get eyes on him again.

Suddenly, about 100m away the big Spiker walks into view from the side and is heading straight for me. Next thing before im ready he stops as hes seen me.

Darn, not ideal, no time for a rest, hes straight on to me so i just have to take a free standing shot with the 308 from close to 100m.
    Line him up, feel it be ok and BOOM, off goes a 165gr Fed Fusion.

For a start, he just stands there, i reload thinking ive missed then he circles, looks wobbly, staggers 20m to some bush and drops.
    I can see him moving but hes not getting up and then nothing.

i wait a few minutes, then head over. Im around 50m away, quite gloomy where he is and hes back up on his feet but doesnt look healthy.
    He staggers deeper in the bush, with light fading soon i wasnt risking looking for him in the dark so as hes broadside i just get the crosshairs on him and fire another shot that drops him.

Wander over and have a nice spiker down.

Name:  DSCF2045.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  427.4 KB

Success. First animal down with the 308 since i changed ammo from the hornady 165gr sst to 165gr Fed Fusions. Found the Hornady not good for bush ranges,
    it kills but the animals run(going to fast out of the 24inch barrel and they sf)

First shot wasnt quite on the money but the round travelled the length of the spiker and recovered it about to exit the rump where it broke the back leg.
    Mushroomed real well and look like it retained most of its weight.
    Lucky didnt lost much meat of that one hind quarter as apart from the bone damage didnt do alot of meat damage in that leg which was good.

By now light is running out, and still have 2 river crossings in the dark to contend with so it was a quick boning out effort and off back to camp.

Got back in one piece after 9pm for a well deserved beer.
    Pengy didnt have much joy on his long walk to his lookout and didnt see any deer but we have another look there in the morning.

Name:  DSCF2048.JPG
Views: 424
Size:  561.4 KB

Next morning Pengy went for a wander around some flats and i headed for quite a mission, walking a fair bit of ground in another spot.
    Saw plenty of sign but couldnt locate a deer and got back close to one and again it was getting darn hot.
    My mate didnt see anything either so after so lunch we decided we pack up and head for home as mission was a success.

Hes such a good bugger and set the camp up and organised everything it only seemed right that i gave him alll the meat and was a good couple of days with good company

Name:  DSCF2046.JPG
Views: 409
Size:  443.9 KB

Nice looking spot and sounds as if there are plenty of animals about.
    deer243 likes this.

Good one
    deer243 likes this.

Long walk to the lookout ......yeah right
    veitnamcam and deer243 like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I’m surprised the .308 managed to kill it…did the recoil knock you backwards…??

Otherwise good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and deer243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    I’m surprised the .308 managed to kill it…did the recoil knock you backwards…??

Otherwise good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Im a 243 man but i dont even use a recoil pad or limp saver on the 308, cant feel a thing, pussy to shoot
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Good stuff. You certainly make me homesick for the south island with every post you make. Well done
    deer243 likes this.

Nice one ��
    Good spell of weather alright.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nice one, and i agree with your comments on the sst projectiles in the Superformance ammo.
    I had a couple of bad experiences with the sst 150gr 308 at close range which has put me right off using them , on the Hornady website they list the Interbond projectile as an option in Superformance ammo but i have never seen it in the shops here. IMO the Interbond pill would hold together a bit better for those close shots

one of these days you will try some 180grn winchesters....one day......maybe LOL
    GOOD you got out and enjoyed company of good mate...my efforts werent as sucessful but the 308 I was carrying was up to task I set it too....
    deer243 likes this.