Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree66Likes
  • 57 Post By Rusky
  • 3 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By mopheadrob
  • 1 Post By The bomb
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Rusky

Thread: Return of the Kaimai Hunter

Return of the Kaimai Hunter

So its been awhile since I've ventured into the lovely Kaimai supplejack bush that I learned to love and hate back in 2013. Family additions, the desire to chase Sika over reds, becoming a manager, and living in Auckland meant I was destined to return one day. The recent move to Tauranga had my sights firmly set on what's available on your back doorstep, the Kaimais has plenty to offer given the numerous deer I would pull out on day trips from Auckland. If you put the effort in and learn to love the supplejack you will be rewarded.

The day started with me returning to a spot I had once visited and seen a bunch of hinds a few years ago. The morning was crisp and quiet with no wind, and the walk in pleasant in the dark with the idea of avoiding the last of the summer heat. I found fresh sign after 2 hours of bush bashing (crawling) at times to make progress in elevation with the idea of scoping out some areas that were holding potential stags. At this time of year, the stags are active and I've had numerous close encounters with stags coming in to investigate potential rival stags on their pad. Some stag rubbings were noted, a good sign I was on the right track. The ground had a lovely crunch to it, so stalking in on a deer was going to be difficult. I found a nice advantage point looking 100m down a spur. Lunch time, and time to reflect on my surroundings. After 20 minutes, I was hatching a plan to sidle around the next basin when noise 50m to my right out of sight caught my attention. Bird flicking through the tawa leaves? No. Too persistent, and growing louder and closer. Then silence for what seemed an eternity. Then again, movement and sound continued in my direction, with the animal direction and travel about to come below me on the spur 20m below. On one knee, I spy the movement of a stag trotting from my right, then disappear to re-appear directly below me side on. In the few seconds of seeing the stag and seeing small timber, my mind turned to thinking should I let him pass in the hope a bigger stag is forcing him out of the area? No I thought, there wasn't any more movement or sound to the right, so came to the realization he had winded me but had no idea where the danger was. Rifle up, crosshairs on base of the neck, safety off, away went the projectile, and down went the stag after a 30m sprint downhill.

The bone out and carry out was a long one, taking twice as long as the walk in which was testament to my poor fitness. Need to work on more aerobic workouts. But the feeling of unloading the meat into the car and cold beer at home not far from the car park was the reward and reminder why I chose Tauranga to be my next home. The aches and pains the following day a reminder that your not as young as you once were, and to cherish what we have in NZ.

Name:  Stag.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  1.09 MB
    Norway, Nathan F, Tahr and 54 others like this.

Nice going, best way to get them in thick rubbish by sitting and listening, they make as much noise as you, it all comes down to who detects who first. Should be a nice haul of meat .

Nicely done and nicely written!
    Rusky likes this.

I call bullshit..there’s nowhere in the kaimais you can see 100m!!just kidding,looks nice and fat,I shoot more deer sitting on my arse now days than I ever did trying to ninja my way thru the bush.
    Rusky likes this.

Great little story, but what rifle, calibre, bullet please.

really interesting wee set of antlers,looks to have deep pearling..bet the venison tastes great..good on you,enjoy it all.
    Rusky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Great little story, but what rifle, calibre, bullet please.
    Brno 243 with Remington 100gr Soft Point Core Lokt
    ANOTHERHUNTER and Micky Duck like this.

Shot Rusky. Good skills

Great inspiring hunt well done

Great work mate! Well deserved venison right there ��

Lovely! THanks for sharing