Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Rutting Whitetails in Idaho USA

Rutting Whitetails in Idaho USA

Hi all, just wanted to share a story about one of my annual hunting trips here in the Pacific Northwest. Whitetail deer hunting isn’t all sitting in tree stands over food plots and corn feeders like you see on YouTube and hunting tv. Every November my hunting buddies and i make a trek over to the state of Idaho to chase mountain whitetails during the rut. We load up our boats with wall tents and gear and make a 20 mile run up a river into the Idaho wilderness. We set up our camp along the river and hunt up into the hills each days. November is the peak rut for whitetails and it’s generally the start of our cold weather season. Last season, the temperature held well below freezing for the entirety of the trip.

In this part of the world we have a fair bit of competition from the other predators in the woods. We had wolves howling above camp each night, mountain lion tracks in the snow circling our tent one night and several bear encounters out in the woods. Despite this, we still had a very successful trip. Our usual tactics include still hunting through the thick timber until he hit a patch with large amounts of rut sign like rubs and scrapes. Once in a likely spot, we sit and begin calling. This is a mix of aggressive antler rattling, buck grunts and doe bleats. If a rutted up buck is within ear range he usually comes in to check out the commotion. Thick timber and silent deer make for some close action and fast shots. It is one of my favorite methods of hunting.

We like to split up and hunt by ourselves to cover more area and limit our sound while moving through the thick brush. Last season my buddies had better luck than me early on and each harvested nice bucks early in the trip. I saw plenty of deer but no bucks that I wanted to to take. As the trip neared it’s end I could sense the clock ticking away. The last morning of the trip, as everyone was packing up their gear, I made one last climb up the mountain in the dark. I snuck into the timber in a new spot and looked for some recent sign. I found a fresh scrape and picked out a seat. I lightly tickled my rattling antlers together and within 10 seconds I spotted antler tines coming over the next rise. I’ll always remember that moment because his antlers were coated in a thick layer of frost from the cold night and the frost was catching the light from the sunrise through the trees. The buck paused for a second or two looking for the rival bucks fighting before committing to dropping into a clear shooting lane. One quick shot and my trip was over and I had taken my best whitetail to date. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the pictures of a little different style of hunting.

Jake

Name:  idaho1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  239.5 KB
    my buck
    Name:  idaho2.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  140.1 KB

Name:  idaho3.jpg
Size:  178.4 KB
    Cat tracks in camp

Name:  idaho4.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  idaho5.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  187.0 KB
    My buddy's buck

Name:  idaho6.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  251.8 KB

Name:  idaho7.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  308.4 KB
    Buck #3

Name:  idaho8.jpg
Size:  338.5 KB
    Buck #4

Name:  idaho9.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  180.5 KB
    camp meat pole

Name:  idaho11.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  249.0 KB

Thanks for sharing. Always cool to see hunting from other countries.

Cracker buck, you all had a very successful trip. My son lives in Canada and his hunting is similar to yours with Mulies and Whitetails and Elk. Very nice place to be inSept through to Nov. Thanks for sharing the hunt.

Nice.

Cool hunt report and pics. Thanks for sharing

Bus driver
    Where did you get that boat cover…scan you call me at 503 358-3315…….boring/Gresham area……..i have a place there
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Haha. Find the water, find the deer! Neat style of hunting, I’d like to give it a go, I love those wall tents; especially with a fire!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Really enjoyed that read, thanks. Looks like a real nice area to hunt.

some nice bucks there well done, nice write up

Caretaker
    Great read, thanks for the pics
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Cheers Jake, really enjoyed that especially the photos looks beautiful !!

That's an interesting looking boat canopy you have there

Shes a different world alright. Wolves, bears and mountain lions. I suppose all that meat must attract them into camp??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Interesting, ta for posting.

Awesome!

Somewhat surprised that you guys over there are happy to split up and wander around alone, with bears and big cats roaming... Personally I would want to walk around with an extra pair of eyes watching my back, that aren't looking at eating me! Ballsy.

Always interested in hearing more about hunting overseas, please share more.

stunning , all nice bucks as well , but that # 4 looks like a absolute ripper

Dream trip