Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Showing Some Maturity

Showing Some Maturity

Earlry in January we were out for a hunt and we spotted a couple of deer in the open, a spiker and one other that mooched off into the bush. Just as it disappeared I thought I saw a decent bit of antler and I suggested to my son that we go over and have a closer look. I had in mind getting closer to take some photos, but I didn’t mention that to the teenager that was accompanying me. With dog in tow we ningered up to around 350 yards and set up for a shot (with the camera!). ‘What do you think of that James’, I said? ‘Too good to shoot in velvet he replied’, I smiled to my self and we continued watching the stag until he saw us and melted back into the bush. It wasn’t in in hurry to leave and stopped and looked back a number of times and eventually stopped around 450 yards away thinking it was safe in a ferny gut. We left the two deer and walked back down the track and back to the truck. James asked if I could not let anyone else shot the stag as he would like to when it was hard.
    Name:  242129AD-AEB0-47E2-8729-C342135768D5.jpeg
Views: 553
Size:  370.7 KB
    Name:  58058708-3242-41D1-ABBE-A95CF3E7EA6E.jpeg
Views: 558
Size:  344.4 KB
    We hadn’t seen that stag again and on Monday, despite the weather, we were out in the same spot, but on a different ridge looking for a deer for some sausages and burger patties. James had grandads 30-30 and I was carrying the ‘Hammer of Thor’, the Rem 700 300 RUM, shooting 210 Bergers at 3000 ft/sec; so we had all ranges from 10-1000 covered!
    The weather wasn’t the best, but it was better than than it had been over the last few days and I was convinced that there would be deer around, James wasn’t as confident as I was, but he was glassing none the less; it is always best to take teenagers hunting somewhere that there is no cellphone coverage!
    James suggested that there wouldn’t be anything around in the rain/drizzle just as I spotted a hind on the bush fringe feeding out into the open. Hinds were off the menu but at least that proved that there were deer out and about. This reinvigorated our efforts and I started searching some of the small slips in the bush across from where we were glassing from. Ten minutes later I spotted a bigger body with tops, it looked like a eight or ten and I pointed out the animal to James who all of a sudden became interested and wanted the 300 RUM as the stag was around 275 yards away.
    We got into a better shooting position and I put the Spartan carbon bipod on the rifle and extended the legs so that James could see over the ferns that were in front of us. A quick dial of the custom turret and we were ready to go, a punga frond was regularly blowing up in the the view and I suggested that he waits until it dropped as that would give a good indication of the wind. We pulled the dog into a position behind us, placed some ear protection in our ears and got ready for the shot. I was looking through my binoculars when the familiar sound of the RUM going off was followed up by the sight of a stag rolling over, he was laying down when James shot and he didn’t move an inch.
    We had a bit a a celebratory hand shake and the dog even joined in with the excitement. We then had a good look at where it was and planned a recovered off a track that cut up above where it had been laying in the bush.
    We dropped off the track and Pipi took the lead and took us straight to it, I nipped head and as James came around a Manuka his face told the story as he lifted the head and counted the points; 9, 10, 11! And what an 11 it was, solid as and beautifully stripped and stained up. Not many 17 year old boys get to shoot a stag like that and as you can imagine he was in the best condition, fat as; probably one of the biggest animals I’d seen and not the kind you’d be carrying out of the bush!
    Name:  A37396DA-6B5D-4D6D-B7A8-74462BD43E1C.jpeg
Views: 578
Size:  1.46 MB
    Name:  D8ADB101-65D0-47EE-AEC6-E2BAC97D9C48.jpeg
Views: 698
Size:  5.38 MB
    Due to the angle of the shot and how much of the shoulder that was visible, he’d hit it a bit high I call these ‘shoulder saving’ shots! None the less there was a lot of prime, great condition meat to take. I boned the entire animal out and we ever took the heart for the dog. With full packs and the head we bashed out was back up through the bush and back to the truck, one happy lad, two really.
    Name:  8D2EFAB3-BEB5-40AC-A01F-43CDA5C19A37.jpeg
Views: 697
Size:  5.04 MB
    Name:  B76AE82C-F1BA-40E1-A6D2-2EDF36988E8F.jpeg
Views: 692
Size:  5.07 MB
    Name:  97F82EC7-4373-434A-ACA1-0753FA7B044D.jpeg
Views: 775
Size:  3.92 MB
    Last night we picked up the sausages and patties and James made ‘Stag Burgers’.
    Name:  CD871B9A-6CB7-4BDE-BFF0-9E3F063082E1.jpeg
Views: 544
Size:  613.6 KB
    21 kilos of sausages.
    Name:  237BDDE7-F1B2-4E32-889C-5D9DF0717525.jpeg
Views: 529
Size:  598.0 KB
    Both the sausages and burger were delicious and of course James described it as the best burger he’d ever had. :-)

I would almost bet its the same stag......the tines have such a distinctive curl/twist to them.

great work leaving it to mature...and great maturity shown by you fellas to do so. enjoy the venison,you earned it.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, rugerman and 3 others like this.

Fantastic proud Dad moment there! Well done to James and to you for teaching him well.

Have you ever tried eating the heart? I gave it a go after watching a Meateater video on how to prep it. Popped on the BBQ with minimal messing about and it's delicious. I've even taken a load to work for lunch and a few of my colleagues tried it not knowing what it was other than something wild- everyone enjoyed it and most were surprised to find out it was the old ticker!

Great result
    Some primo Kai and a lovely head.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I would almost bet its the same stag......the tines have such a distinctive curl/twist to them.

great work leaving it to mature...and great maturity shown by you fellas to do so. enjoy the venison,you earned it.
    Whithout doubt the same
    Can you "shoot" a bit of that semen accross the Cook Straigh please C
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Thats a belter
    Tahr likes this.

Excellent work chaps although I’m not sure about giving the dog the heart!
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    Fantastic proud Dad moment there! Well done to James and to you for teaching him well.

Have you ever tried eating the heart? I gave it a go after watching a Meateater video on how to prep it. Popped on the BBQ with minimal messing about and it's delicious. I've even taken a load to work for lunch and a few of my colleagues tried it not knowing what it was other than something wild- everyone enjoyed it and most were surprised to find out it was the old ticker!
    Proud Grandad moment too.
    Last edited by Tahr; 12-02-2022 at 11:04 AM.
    Trout, Pauli, Mooseman and 7 others like this.

Fantastic, onya James
    Tahr likes this.

Great story guys, well done. A trophy to never be forgotten, not because of that amazing head, but because of the father son time that went in to harvesting it. Well done James.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post

We took the heart to eat it, but because of a busy life ended up giving it to the dog.
    We’ve eaten a few hearts and I agree it’s nice. :-)
    Micky Duck and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Excellent work chaps although I’m not sure about giving the dog the heart!
    Yeah. She won’t be so lucky next time! :-)
    Micky Duck likes this.

Ned
    Great call leaving it in velvet. Paid off handsomely.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Tahr likes this.

A great moment together and well done Dad letting the lad shoot it with your riffle.

Well done James, good shot.
    Tahr likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Very nice, Congrats James. Proud dad moment for sure Craig, worth leaving the velvetys when you can get back another time.
    Tahr likes this.