Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Success all round

GWH

Success all round

Got a text friday arvo from a mate, saying he had rabbits bouncing around everywhere munching on his vege patch, and did i want to come out and remove a few. Perfect timing, as my 4 year old daughter had been asking to head out for a rabbit shoot (she's never been before, but id been priming her up)

A couple of hours later the 17HMR was dragged out of the safe (first time for a while) and we had the first few fluffys on the ground - Lucy seemed to enjoy it and wasnt fazed by any of it, first thing she asked was 'can i see the blood', a cool evening out with her and some great firearm safety lessons learned.

Name:  Lucy with rabbits.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  324.1 KB

I had also had arranged a leave pass for Sat night and was planning a quick fly camp up a Ruahine river (new spot for me) over the weekend. The forecast was for fairly strong winds, but i was going anyway. Had a few family commitments with the kids on Saturday morning, so didnt leave home until 2pm Saturday, walking up the river it was blowing a bloody gale, and i wasnt filled with much hope.

Found an area with plenty of fresh sign, so found a reasonably sheltered spot not too far away, and pitched the old Huntech Biv, and proceeded to have a poke around and continue to check out the area a bit more. The wind was blowing 40 bastards by now and gusting all over the show like a crazy womans shit, so i was pretty much wasting my time, but was good sussing the country out. Light finally faded to black and nothing had been seen.

Name:  Huntech biv in Ruahines.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  658.2 KB

Returned to camp for a hot brew and to get the Absolute Wilderness Butter Chicken to soak up a bit of water. The night was rough and bloody noisy, but the little 2 man bivvy stood up well again. The alarm sounded at 5am and i awoke to more strong winds, and a bit of rain beating on the fly as well. I very nearly rolled over and went back to sleep, but thought to myself "dont be a dickhead" and dragged myself out of the fart sack and pushed off for a hunt, with very little confidence i must add.

The wind was coming strongly down the river valley, so i stalked slowing up river into it, i'd only gone about 300 yards from my camp when something burst out from behind some lupin beside me, a velvet stag bounding up onto the next river terrace, a quick "hey" from me stopped him for an instant, he looked straight at me about 25 yards away, my rifle was being shouldered and safety released, before i could pull the trigger he was on the move again, with his head, neck and front shoulder now just disappeared behind a scrubby little bush, my crosshair was on him but too far back for a kill shot, i quickly swung the rifle and estimated where his neck would be behind the little bush, and let off the shot. It all happened extremely fast, and for once i did some very quick thinking and it was my one and only chance and gave it a crack.

On the shot i caught a glimpse thru the scope that looked hopeful, and then saw what looked like a leg kicking up. I approached straight away to find a poleaxed stag with a broken neck, shot straight thru the middle of it, love it when it all comes together! The 150gr NBT spat out of my M595 in 284win did the business well, killing him almost instantly and bleeding him out all at the same time.

Its now 5.45am, and the hard work begins.

Name:  Ruahine velvet stag with M595 284win.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  438.6 KBName:  Me and velvert stag, ruahines 6-12-15.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  446.2 KBName:  stag meat in tree, ruahines 6-12-15.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  567.9 KB

A good lesson, even when the weather is shitty, and you think you might be wasting your time, you just never know your luck, If you're out there, theres always hope.

All in all a bloody neat weekend, and i look forward to getting Lucy out there after a deer now.
    Norway, 7mmsaum, sako75 and 17 others like this.

P38
    Good on Ya @GWH

Cheers
    Pete
    GWH likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Fantastic GWH. One of the better reports. Short, to the point, right on the money.
    GWH likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

northdude
    good write up our girls are less fazed by hunting than people think mines more into it than my boy taking her out this weekend if the weather holds together
    GWH likes this.

Cool story bro. Funny that deer will still be deer even if it's windy/raining/sunny etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GWH and Hunt4life like this.

GWH likes this.

like your work...
    GWH likes this.

great stuff, even still got head torch on. lol

Hamish
    GWH likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Bloody good mate. Nice one on getting the kids out, in my experience most of them love it.

One of my good mates took his three kids (boy 5, girls 4 & 3) for an "adventure" in the weekend. They explored beaches, went eeling, shot a deer and some possums, and camped in a hut the night. The kids cried when they were told it was time to go home, they wanted to stay and do more adventuring. So cool if you ask me!
    gadgetman, stingray, GWH and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

It was actually you crying wasn't it Josh!

Crying because I wasn't asked to go
    Beaker likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Good stuff man well done.

Dont go putting that story on hunt fish tho

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Greg, GWH and Beaker like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Good stuff man well done.

Dont go putting that story on hunt fish tho

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    ba ha ha ha ha
    Beaker likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Bloody good mate. Nice one on getting the kids out, in my experience most of them love it.

One of my good mates took his three kids (boy 5, girls 4 & 3) for an "adventure" in the weekend. They explored beaches, went eeling, shot a deer and some possums, and camped in a hut the night. The kids cried when they were told it was time to go home, they wanted to stay and do more adventuring. So cool if you ask me!
    Sounds like good times alright, Im looking forward to my young fella (2) getting a year older, then his sister will be 5, and i can start dragging them out more for adventures like this. We are lucky we have a good eel stream right at the backdoor, so it makes that real easy (i must get them out there and catch another one actually, been a while).

Thanks for all the other comments lads!

TLB
    choice one!
    GWH likes this.