Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Tataraakina round 1

MINT! I thought you might get something Stoked!

When do antlers drop from the reds?
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    MINT! I thought you might get something Stoked!

When do antlers drop from the reds?
    Casting! It is called casting (so your question should have said "when do red deer cast their antlers) and that is happening now on the farm Phillip. Young whipper snapper uni students bah!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The older(read bigger antlers) will mostly have dropped or will do very shortly Philip, spikers and young stags will have them for a while yet as it doesn't take as long to grow small heads.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The older(read bigger antlers) will mostly have dropped or will do very shortly Philip, spikers and young stags will have them for a while yet as it doesn't take as long to grow small heads.
    Yep exactly. It is interesting to see that last years fawns are budding already but last years spikers have yet to cast. The stags cast about five weeks ago.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Yeah found a few cast antlers around, nothing big but looked fresh as cause the bone was still pure white and raspy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Casting! It is called casting (so your question should have said "when do red deer cast their antlers) and that is happening now on the farm Phillip. Young whipper snapper uni students bah!
    Forgive me Rushy!!

VC that makes sense, I thought about whether or not stags and spikers dropped at different times
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    When I'm hunting either pigs with dogs or deer stalking, I rest frequently. This gives the dogs time to work, and me a chance to study the country I'm in and more importantly to conserve fuel in my body for the carry out. I don't carry liquid when hunting (extra weight) and have yet in the 40yrs of hunting experienced dizzy spells, apart from a balance condition due to tinnitus, which I have since resolved. I read with some concern about your incidence on this hunting trip and would strongly suggest a decent medical just to be on the safe side. I had a friend who was extremely fit and a bloody good hunter, who always hunted by himself, have a Heart attack whilst hunting. Be safe and minimise the risks. I do a major medical every 3yrs for my commercial diving tickets, and it's bloody good piece of mind. Just go into any Coronary ward in any Hospital and see the number of young guys who have suffered a stroke or heart attack. Nana's rant over
    Pointer, Scouser and Hunt4life like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Who do you dive for GA?

I used to Dive for Greenfield, but haven't since Ken sold it. I just do my own stuff now. mainly water intakes.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    When I'm hunting either pigs with dogs or deer stalking, I rest frequently. This gives the dogs time to work, and me a chance to study the country I'm in and more importantly to conserve fuel in my body for the carry out. I don't carry liquid when hunting (extra weight) and have yet in the 40yrs of hunting experienced dizzy spells, apart from a balance condition due to tinnitus, which I have since resolved. I read with some concern about your incidence on this hunting trip and would strongly suggest a decent medical just to be on the safe side. I had a friend who was extremely fit and a bloody good hunter, who always hunted by himself, have a Heart attack whilst hunting. Be safe and minimise the risks. I do a major medical every 3yrs for my commercial diving tickets, and it's bloody good piece of mind. Just go into any Coronary ward in any Hospital and see the number of young guys who have suffered a stroke or heart attack. Nana's rant over
    All good GA. I have a medical annually through work.
    I am normally fine with a solid days hunting but this time we went way to hard for way to long.
    I should have had a decent rest in between stints but we kept pushing on.

Sweet, I went for a walk yesterday for a couple of hours and man was it hot. Should of taken a hat.
    ishoot10s likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Being Smarter to day and going Sup Boarding instead
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Sweet, I went for a walk yesterday for a couple of hours and man was it hot. Should of taken Muckos hat.
    fixed it for you GA
    Pointer likes this.

You didn't get water out of a spring on the way did you ? My Cuz went like that after drinking from a small creek .He made it back to camp but had to be carried out of the bush.He slept for a couple days straight & seemed OK after but makes you wonder wtf going on .
    Nice young animal Gibo ,good on ya dude .Carrying in the warm part of the day will drain you pretty quick. Doing the hard work after sunset into the dark isn't a silly idea ,least its a little cooler.You probably just need re-hydrating .
    Last edited by Chris; 20-10-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You didn't get water out of a spring on the way did you ? My Cuz went like that after drinking from a small creek .He made it back to camp but had to be carried out of the bush.He slept for a couple days straight & seemed OK after but makes you wonder wtf going on .
    Nice young animal Gibo ,good on ya dude .Carrying in the warm part of the day will drain you pretty quick. Doing the hard work after sunset into the dark isn't a silly idea ,least its a little cooler.You probably just need re-hydrating .

Nah we should have filled up at the one creek we past. We were walking the tops so no water handy really. And yeah it was fucking hot! May have been a bit of heat exhaustion.