Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree53Likes
  • 34 Post By Average-Lad
  • 3 Post By mopheadrob
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 2 Post By charliehorse
  • 1 Post By Average-Lad
  • 1 Post By trooper90
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Bhess
  • 1 Post By Kiwikev

Thread: Two lucky weekends

Two lucky weekends

I've had a couple lucky weekends hunting in November. Heavy on the luck, and light on the hunting.

---
    Saturday 11th Nov I headed out into the Lewis Pass region to try secure a deer for a our workplace MoBro's fundraiser BBQ happening next week. Rather than serve up terrible pre-cooked sangers I offered to try get a deer so we could serve up some decent sausages and hopefully raise more monies for Movember.

Saturday morning I was 'super disciplined' and slept in then headed to the cafe with the Mrs for a lazy brunch where I 'fuelled up' on a big breakie and donuts. Several hours later I arrived in Lewis Pass in the early afternoon, with not much time left to reach the tops as I had hoped for. I headed off, fording a river and 30min into the walk I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Then it hit me! My rifle was still in the car, safety locked up and hidden in the backseat! So back I went, across the river and got the essential item. Now I was very short on time. I headed to the ridgeline I wanted to go up - a new route for me - and after 130m of vertical climb I realised the ridge was far too step to be safe coming down with a heavy pack, and there were unlikely to be enough hours of light left to reach the tops.

I turned around and headed up the valley floor, hoping for a spiker out on the grass flats. A couple hours later I reached a hut and took a short break. I headed up to a good glassing point, a short ten minute walk up the valley. Not five minutes after arriving at the glassing spot, and looking out across the valley I lower my bino's and 65m to my left is a spiker staring at me! I froze and luckily it went back to eating. It was a easy shot and the spiker dropped on the spot. Feeling chuffed but shocked I dragged the deer to a tree, gutted it and hung it up to set overnight. I spent the last 30 minutes of light glassing, but seeing nothing headed back to the hut.

The next morning I was up early, hoping for a second deer for myself, since the spiker was for the fundraiser. Only 500m up the valley I came across a couple hunters, who told me there was also another group another 800m up. I decided to call it then and returned to my hanging deer to butcher it for the carry out.

Seeing no deer aside from the spiker and there being lots of hunters disturbing that valley hammered in how lucky I had been to turn the improbability of a lazy late start, left behind rifle, route change, busy valley hunt into a success. But I'm thankful and so is our Fundraiser team, who now have 200 prime sausages to fry up next week!

-----
    Next weekend, Friday 17th Nov. Myself and the Mrs set-off for one or her first "proper overnight hikes to a hut." I'd filled my pack to the brim with snacks, wine, coke can's, warm clothes, books, games, you name it to make it a good first experience for her and we left Christchurch early for a South Canterbury valley, with a relatively easy valley flat 10km hike into the hut. Arriving around midday we enjoyed the perfect timing as within 30 minutes of arriving at the hut it started to rain and the Mrs was able to enjoy the dryness of the hut and her crackers, cheese, salami and river cooled coke can. Then we put in some serious work and napped for a good three hours and passed the afternoon happily reading and eating the ridiculously large amount of food I'd carried in.

The evening presented average hunting conditions with the wind blowing in the direction of travel, up the valley I wanted to hunt, and clag rolling in and out. Nonetheless I'd brought my rifle and after a wheel of camembert cheese, a pack of crackers, a bag of liquorice sticks, and a few other "wee treats" I had more than enough energy to go for a wander.

I headed off with just the dog for company and only a short 1.5km up the valley I spotted a mob of five bull tahr 200m up the valley wall. They had seen me, but seemed pretty content to keep grazing so I had all the time in the world to setup for a nice stable shot. In the dying light it looked like one of the tahr was maybe a trophy, but I wasn't sure and rather than kill an animal with potential I aimed for the tahr that was presenting a perfect broadside shot, and shot it clean through both lungs and the heart (confirmed later when gutting). The rest of the mob shot off and my now very dead tahr was thankfully rolling down a scree slope towards me. I had just shot my first tahr!

Stoked with getting my first tahr and more meat for the freezer I gutted the animal, and back-packed it back to the hut, arriving in the dark. After hanging up the tahr in a tree the Mrs made me strip off and have a freezing bath in the river - the tahr had bloodied all down my my back, crack and... well you get it.

The next day I cut the tahr up to carry out, and was surprised that it yielded more meat than the spiker. They are bigger than I realised! The hike out was pretty uneventful, with a perfect wind blowing to keep us cool and still plenty of treats to keep the morale up. We enjoyed a good yarn with a older gentlemen who had been hunting the area for over 40 years. A side note: I've had the luck of bumping into a few of these older gents on hunts and they are always super friendly to talk to and share their knowledge without holding anything back, with I think is incredibly generous.

---
    So I've had two successful hunts this November. But both kills should really be put down to luck rather than skill or hard effort. Still, it pays to be where the animals are and I'm grateful to be able to support fundraising for Movember and put some more meat in the freezer for my family.

Onward.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Nathan F, Tahr, Trout and 31 others like this.

Great write-up, thanks! You're right, you make your own luck sometimes just by getting out there and giving it a crack.

Well done for getting out and doing it.
    Micky Duck and Average-Lad like this.

Awesome! Dog seems pleased.
    Average-Lad likes this.

great way to introduce the little lady to your sport...good going,thought aha I know where he is heading for tahr untill you said strung up in tree LOL.
    Average-Lad likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

As a famous sportsman once said "The more I practice, the luckier I get", and you don't shoot them when you are sitting at home (usually)
    Sometimes things go your way (for no apparent reason) and sometimes they don't.
    Good effort.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Well done team,you did well.You learnt a lot with good results too.
    Average-Lad likes this.

Forgetting your gun hahahaha would have been classic if you'd seen something to shoot then realised you had nothing but a finger gun. We've all had that luck you speak of and we'd all happily take it again
    Micky Duck and Average-Lad like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    great way to introduce the little lady to your sport...good going,thought aha I know where he is heading for tahr untill you said strung up in tree LOL.
    I'll send you a dm. See if you were thinking about the same hut.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Forgetting your gun hahahaha would have been classic if you'd seen something to shoot then realised you had nothing but a finger gun. We've all had that luck you speak of and we'd all happily take it again
    Yeah that would have bugged me for years. I've not been that unlucky so far. Have heard of mates leaving behind bolts and ammo though.

Well done love it! Classic hunting situations.
    Average-Lad likes this.

Awesome, you're making it sound easy. Well done and enjoy.

And yes @Micky Duck I also thought I knew the spot, there's a few trees over by the creek in there.
    Average-Lad likes this.

yeah....there is,but hardly hang up an animal big LOL and the grass looks wrong LOL.....supersluths we are not
    Average-Lad likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I get told a bit your a lucky/jammy c##t
    To which I reply "sometimes its better to be lucky than good" knowing full well you make your own luck.
    Well done! The easy ones make up for all the frustrations and graft put in on the others. Thats one of the things I enjoy most about hunting, the not knowing what to expect!
    Average-Lad likes this.

Couldn't agree more with the previous comment. Thanks for the write up.
    Average-Lad likes this.