Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree46Likes
  • 36 Post By Kimber 7mm-08
  • 4 Post By Sharki
  • 2 Post By ROKTOY
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By doinit
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 1 Post By Mooseman

Thread: Don't piss into the wind!

Don't piss into the wind!

Been meaning to get out for a hunt before the silly season arrives, so headed off with my son for a weekend mission a couple hours from home.

Now I know from past experience, what it's like to get up early on a Saturday morning with my son for a hunt, so we get going not long after I finish work last Friday, and sleep in the back of the truck close to where were going to hunt. The dog got the back seat which was surely warmer than we had it, but I had a great view of the stars out the side of the canopy so I won best view!

5am next morning after not a lot of sleep we drive off down the road and begin our walk up part of the Hawkdun Range. We hadn't gone more than 10 mins when my son tells me he's seen a deer running over a ridge not 200m from me. I never did see that deer, but it was a promising start and shows that deer are where you find them, especially early in the morning.

Half way up the hill, obligatory photo op for son and Holly the dog.
    Name:  20231111_102141.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  4.58 MB

We trudge up the hill and eventually the the sun pops up over the top of the range and we concentrate on gaining altitude rather than looking for deer up the valley in the hazy light. By noon we have reached our campsite and I make sure to place the heaviest rocks I can find on the tent pegs as there was some northerly winds predicted later in the weekend.

All set up.
    Name:  20231111_185552.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  5.84 MB

We wander to the north of camp and settle in for a hour or so of glassing, but nothing seen. We decide to go and find water further up hill from camp and while carefully glassing likely areas I spy a deer down lower than us about 1km away. We had 6.5hrs of daylight so we carefully sneak down and sidle along towards where the deer was last seen (hopefully bedded down in a small gut out of site and out of the wind). Hopes are high and I leave my son and the dog with a radio on one side of a scree slope and I carefully traverse that obstacle and climb up over a small ridge and toward where the deer should be. Alas no deer to be seen! I sit down and glass the whole area again, and take my time given the effort to get into position, but nothing was in that gut or anywhere else for that matter. My son was disappointed when I radioed to him nothing to be seen, but I enjoyed the stalking in all the same. We head back to camp and collect water on the way both thoroughly looking forward to having dinner and resting up at camp. Plans were made to walk up the hill further and set foot into Canterbury and walk along the top of the range next morning. All going well so far....

Happy, but unsuccessful hunter (with hunting shadow!).
    Name:  20231111_170907.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  4.35 MB

Not long after arriving the wind begins to pick up and things started to go south. Unfortunately my son couldn't hold down his dinner, and wants to head home, but with only an hour of daylight left that was not an option and I tell him we have to stay where we are over night and we need to hunker down and make the best of it. Then the wind really picked up and started to let us know what it really thought!!! Inside the tent the dog and my son (surprisingly) sleep relatively peacefully through out the night, but I was up most of it worrying about the wind and if I secured the tent well enough. Next morning it is still blowing a gale, but the morning ablutions have to be done regardless. Now, I've always to my son to pee with the wind behind you, but today it didn't matter which direction you faced, as a vortex of piss was swirling around you no matter what direction you faced!!! It seemed to defy the lawsof physics! Man, that wind was pumping! At least we could both see the funny side of it all - what could you do in conditions like that!

No chance of getting up towards to top of the range given the conditions, so we breaking camp. About 30 seconds in, I realise I have made a rookie mistake by taking the tent down from the upwind side. That the tent didn't take off into the distance is a miracle, but we did have one guy rope tether point tear off the tent as a reminder of how strong the wind can be. As quickly as we could, we crammed things into my pack and we were only too happy head down and out of some of the worst of the wind.

We checked out the valley and likely spots as we heading back down to the truck along the ridge, but spotted nothing. I asked my son back at the truck how he thought the trip went, and he said he was disappointed that we weren't successful, but really enjoyed sleeping in the tent! I told him I was happy just to see a deer, and have a 'chance' (event if remote) to get a shot at one. Quietly, I was relieved to have came out of it unscathed considering the wind and my son being sick. Driving home we chased a few hares down the road and I spotted two pigs along the roadside in the Cromwell gorge which added to the experience.

Yet another trip without any venison to show for it, but it was a certainly an experience for both of us, especially with rapidly changing weather conditions.
    Last edited by Kimber 7mm-08; 15-11-2023 at 04:39 PM.
    Tahr, doinit, Trout and 33 others like this.

More important than venison m8
    U and young fellow making memories
    stingray, shift14, MB and 1 others like this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Good stuff
    Seen a couple of fallow across the river from Roaring Meg last year.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Nice trip with camping up top with yr son n dog.Those mountains look high in your photos,good effort.Keep hunting,hopefully youl get yr deer with yr son beside you.It was my 3rd trip out chasing deer befor i scored one this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    The shadows in the gully behind looks like an old man with hands clasped in front and stooped head. Use your imagination..
    Memories being made.
    stingray and Mooseman like this.

you lad has told you he really enjoyed staying out in the tent...... make it happen again soon,anywhere,keep making the memories.
    stingray likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks for that great report..nice. it aint always about following the sheep, leaving a trail of blood and guts etc.
    Taking the young ones out into the big spaces will always go down in the memory department as the duck said and remain there.
    Time means learning and we all still are.
    I once worked around the Hawkduns ,,great area.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Had planned to be around there for a hunt as part of this road trip but got sick. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Great write up though.
    stingray likes this.

Wish I could like this 10 x over, my children are grown , returning on good days for hunting or fishing or if a beer is in the fridge!

I treasured these kinds of trips and the memories they made for myself so very much and the experience I gave to young folks!

A bloody top effort!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Yup, if I'd known what the 14 year old mindset of "friends are everything", I would have got more trips in with mine before they hit that age. Well done!
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

It’s not always about the kill, it’s being there especially with your son enjoying the outdoors, that’s what it’s all about. Good write up by the way.
    ROKTOY likes this.