Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: waioeka

Is there still a guy trapping in there?

Nice work nickbop good to see the practice pays off, wait until spring you should do even better.

Huk
    good on ya nick thats steep to overhanging cheers Gibo on pics

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Did you go in and stay at the Nikau? - great we spot that. We were met there 13 odd years ago (arriving late 11.30 - setting up a tent at the Redpaths farm entry over the bridge) by spotlights and firearms after they thought we were a couple of Auckland cattle rustlers rolling into town... Had spoken to old lady Redpath there who had failed to pass the message on... was a good way to get the old adrelaline running any how and situation soon explained..

We spent 4 odd days in there had a ball in Summer with catching trout fly fishing and the odd clamber round the rock faces above Nikau to get up the next section.there was a almost passable track then but it blew out big time after that and haven't gone back since... Great times - hope you guys continue to enjoy that spot.
    Wasnt the nikau, i wont name it on a public forum so i dont piss the locals off, ive just been picking a new catchment everytime i go up the gorge, deer number seem the same around the place if you put the effort in though, saw a few trout up this river too
    Pointer and Carpe Diem like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Is there still a guy trapping in there?
    Nah no one staying in there

Nick
    Be interested in hearing what the Eye Dog does on Deer.
    Like - does it give any indication or signals when he/she smells/scents?

Always reckoned a strong eye heading dog be good - problem is most are inherently gun shy (all mine on farm where - maybe because they saw what happened to the failures

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Nick
    Be interested in hearing what the Eye Dog does on Deer.
    Like - does it give any indication or signals when he/she smells/scents?

Always reckoned a strong eye heading dog be good - problem is most are inherently gun shy (all mine on farm where - maybe because they saw what happened to the failures
    Pip is going good she is only about 18months but is coming along nicely, she hunts infront a few meters and indicates, she doesnt love the gun but she puts up with it because she loves the hunt, i havnt hunted with a dog before her so we are teaching each other. I got alot of help from Paul Micheals before he started the blue print which has helped.
    Ive been trying to bush hunt a sambar with her near home as a bit of challange, ive got within 12 paces of a stag but couldnt get a shot and just as close a few other times but havnt closed the deal yet

Good stuff. I've spent a fair few hours walking the waioeka and surrounding areas of opo and never had any luck yet. Still a cool spot for a walk. You put in the effort and got the reward!

I recognize that bend in the river in your avatar too Rusky, some days you can see the bottom of it when it's gin clear! Took two in there with twoshotkill in November. A long way from where nickbop was though
    Last edited by Pointer; 05-07-2017 at 07:29 AM.

good stuff mate! all about getting out there doing it cheers for sharing, put my neck out looking sideways tho lol, go into your photo editor on your PC should be able to rotate them

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I recognize that bend in the river in your avatar too Rusky, some days you can see the bottom of it when it's gin clear! Took two in there with twoshotkill in November. A long way from where nickbop was though
    When I was a bit younger and that track wasn't such a cyclist magnet it felt like you'd see a deer around the next bend any moment. I imagine the better hunting is far up the river and off the beaten track.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbop View Post
    Pip is going good she is only about 18months but is coming along nicely, she hunts infront a few meters and indicates, she doesnt love the gun but she puts up with it because she loves the hunt, i havnt hunted with a dog before her so we are teaching each other. I got alot of help from Paul Micheals before he started the blue print which has helped.
    Ive been trying to bush hunt a sambar with her near home as a bit of challange, ive got within 12 paces of a stag but couldnt get a shot and just as close a few other times but havnt closed the deal yet
    You are 100% on track
    Your dog (and wow 18mths) has already linked you to the kill/success to complete the hunt.
    I think you are onto a real winner - give her as much work as you can. When I trained my No# GSP - I was hunting full time and doing coons as well so as you can imagine mine got a lot of work/practise

Having the dog slightly timid of rifle is a +
    Otherwise the others who love it are more "uncontrollable" at critical timing - if you know what I mean.
    Good luck.

Bitches are much more stable and easier to train - IMHO