Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree42Likes
  • 38 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 1 Post By tiroahunta
  • 2 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 1 Post By 7mm Rem Mag

Thread: What an end to a holiday

What an end to a holiday

With only a couple of days left of my holiday and with the mrs satisfied after me taking her to mount cook for a drive yesterday I was in 2 minds whether to go for a last minute deer hunt today or call up a farmer I haven't seen for a couple of years and shoot his rabbits for a bit of a wined down to my holiday.

I decided on the later because this is a genuine good guy who has a bad rabbit problem and with about 400 rounds of 22 sitting around I thought it was a good chance to use them up and to help a good bugger out.

I gave him a call and I decided on an evening/night shoot. The farmer told me I should bring my big riffle as well because the neigbouring farmers had given him reports of deer in the area.

I had a think about it and thought I would just take the 22 and shoot rabbits as I had already shot a deer and 5 lambs so had plenty of tucker plus I didn't want to carry 2 riffles around just on the off chance.

I arrive at about 6.30pm and told the farmer I only brought the 22 this time and I would come again with the big riffle another evening.

I set a target up and fired half a dozen rounds at it until I was confident I had it sighted in correctly, it only needed a minor adjustment as it was still shooting well from last time.

I set off picking off a couple of difficult shots but not seeing too many in the early stages, I switched tact and started heading into the wind, I progressed down a gully and looking up the side of the hill I saw a heap of bunnies.

I took my pack off my back and used it as a rest as I started knocking bunny after bunny over, the tally started to mount with 10 taken on that hill face then another 10 on the next hill face with some very long shots.

I decided to park up at an old favourite spot of mine until dark, I managed to knock a few more young ones over before attaching the spotlight and carrying on.

I was picking off rabbits left right and center and the tally soon grew to 50, I lifted the riffle up to shine the light up ahead in the paddock to check to see how many rabbits were in the distance when to my amazement I spotted 2 deer.

Bugger I thought to myself, I should have brought out the 7mm rem mag. I held the spotlight on the deer and they just seemed to stand there, I guess they felt safe being about 200 meters away.

I continued to walk towards them holding the spotlight on them but I had to walk down the side of a hill and back up the other side to get to them so they disappeared out of sight as I went down.

As I walked back up the other side of the hill I continued to shine the light in their direction and when I came towards the top of the hill shit there they were still standing there 50 meters away.

I thought I can't let this opportunity go by and I had been shooting well so I decided on a free hand head shot, I squeezed the trigger and bugger me if the hind didn't drop to the ground while its mate ran off.

Well thats a first for me, a deer with a 22. I find with deer its either a feast or a famine, I can go a long time without one and then when you are on a roll this sort of thing happens and you wonder what all the fuss is about.

Anyway I couldn't have wished for a better end to my holiday and I was able to drive the truck right to it and throw it in the back so that was a very easy carry out

I text the farmer to let him know he had half a deer to pick up after he finishes his work in town tomorrow so he will be happy.

Name:  20211111_230127.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  20211111_230225.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  998.2 KB

Name:  20211112_002654.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  891.3 KB
    When hunting think safety first

Good was to end a holiday. Happy missus n a deer ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Well done,were you using subs or high velocity in 22.?

Great result! Had you planned to bring any bunnies home for the pot or pet food before the deer showed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Well done,were you using subs or high velocity in 22.?
    Name:  20211112_115506.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  1.04 MB

I was using these so they made plenty of noise which shocked me that they stuck around as I was shooting bunnies within a couple of hundred meters of them
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    Great result! Had you planned to bring any bunnies home for the pot or pet food before the deer showed up?
    I used to take all the back legs and back steaks for the cat until he got advanced kidney disease but not now, this was purely a pest control mission. When I was walking back to get the truck after I shot the deer there were rabbits everywhere but I was then on a deer recovery mission.
    Steelisreal likes this.

the subsonic version of same ammo is my go to......enjoy your venison....first fawn seen on ground today lads n lasses.....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the subsonic version of same ammo is my go to......enjoy your venison....first fawn seen on ground today lads n lasses.....
    Thanks @MickyDuck yep mine too but I had bought these a long time ago and just want to use them up. I like the 42g subs and with silencer attached makes no noise at all.

I dont even bother with suppressor with the subs...darn quiet bare barrel LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I dont even bother with suppressor with the subs...darn quiet bare barrel LOL.
    I had the silencer on last night with the power point ammo but it still had quite a bang to it. You will be right not needing silencer with the subs but I just leave it on the 22 all the time

Name:  20211112_141422.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  828.8 KB

Here is a pic of the good subsonic ammo for those who wish to go and buy some. I think they are around $120 for 500 rounds off the top of my head.

They have plenty of knock down power.

Are those 22rounds Aussie made or USA? I have read the American stUff is crap, I use the 40 gr Aussie stuff and it works well. Good end to your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Are those 22rounds Aussie made or USA? I have read the American stUff is crap, I use the 40 gr Aussie stuff and it works well. Good end to your trip.
    Hi @Mooseman both the power point and the 42g subsonics are Australian made, I must say I prefer the 42g over the 40g as I have had better results with the 42g but I guess everyone has different experiences so I would say go with what works best for you.