Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 13 Post By Norway
  • 3 Post By Steelisreal
  • 1 Post By trooper90
  • 1 Post By whanahuia
  • 1 Post By Norway
  • 2 Post By Mooseman

Thread: Winter hunt on skis, 22 Hornet & birds

Winter hunt on skis, 22 Hornet & birds

Not remotely relevant to NZ, but this is my backyard hunt and what I do this time of year.
    Dared risk the cameras a bit to show more of the weather
    rugerman, trooper90, Maxx and 10 others like this.

It's absolutely relevant to us in NZ - it's an interesting form of hunting and your films are beautifully made!

Thank you for your efforts, they're very appreciated.
    Norway, trooper90 and Cordite like this.

Totally agree great stuff
    Norway likes this.

Quite interesting. Is it just the cartridge you dont like or the rifle as well? How would you proceed? if velocity gets too high and destroys the birds, do You go for a cartridge shooting a heavier projectile at similar velocity?

One thing about watching hunting from other countries that is different too ours is that hopefully it creates a wish to go try those hunts. From experience getting out and hunting in other countries no matter how good you are, you learn some new tricks or idea that improve or give you ideas on what you do back home.
    Norway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    One thing about watching hunting from other countries that is different too ours is that hopefully it creates a wish to go try those hunts. From experience getting out and hunting in other countries no matter how good you are, you learn some new tricks or idea that improve or give you ideas on what you do back home.
    You pretty much described spot-on part of my motivation for meeting other hunters and hunting with them!

The 22 Hornet isn't very precise compared to more modern cartridges, and also the bullets have far too low Bc//are too blunt//heavily affected by the wind so the windcall needs to be more precise than what's practical.
    This rifle has been more of an expensive folly for me, but now I'm cutting my losse.

I am restricted in what calibers I can use here, so 221 Fireball with FMJs travelling below V0 800 msec is by far the best legal option.
    If not, 6,5 Grendel or wildcat 6mm-223 is stellar performers for this - shoot a good FMJ with reasonable Bc at slow speed and you'll bowl them without losing the meat.
    whanahuia likes this.

Great watch, one thing you must have a good sense of direction {or GPS} in some of the conditions you encounter. I have a old Walther 22 Hornet that has been K modified and quite like it for rabbits over here, accuracy is about an inch or slightly more at 100 yds but it makes a good 100 150 yd rifle. Not as accurate as my Mod 7 223 which is far better for the longer shots. One thing about the Hornet is you get a lot of loads out of a tin of powder.
    norsk and Cordite like this.