Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Is this years Roar late, or over?

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Good advice on this thread. I'm cutting my teeth at the moment and as much as I love being out there, I do get tired reply "nothing" to that question "did you get anything?". I haven't got a deer on doc land yet in some 20 days hunting. In that time I saw 2 deer (hind + fawn together and I wasn't even hunting! Haha) and spooked who knows how many that I didn't lay eyes on. I've enjoyed every moment just like I did in my past life as an (unarmed) tramper, but hell, I won't lie, I'm going to enjoy it a lot more once I start getting them on the deck.

We'll get on to them eventually Scouser
    Never give up hope mate, there may be a deer just over the next rise. I stumbled around the kaimanawa's for about a year with no success when I started out. Each time I would learn something new and get that little bit closer. Once I shot my first sika it was worth all of the effort that I had put in. If you spend the time out there then it will all fall into place. I believe you make your own luck, so get out there as much as possible! If you are ever down this way and I am not busy sing out and we'll organise something.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke.S View Post
    Never give up hope mate, there may be a deer just over the next rise. I stumbled around the kaimanawa's for about a year with no success when I started out. Each time I would learn something new and get that little bit closer. Once I shot my first sika it was worth all of the effort that I had put in. If you spend the time out there then it will all fall into place. I believe you make your own luck, so get out there as much as possible! If you are ever down this way and I am not busy sing out and we'll organise something.
    Cheers Luke, I think I may just take you up on that offer in the not too distant future

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Slow down and be calm!!!!! The bush and the deer will be there tomorrow! Use all of your senses...smell is a big one...you can smell them...think like they do...where would I want to be at this time of the day if I was one of them...Japs are sneaky and they will play cat and mouse with you...learn their 'whistle' often more successful than trying to imitate their yikeing...
    Scouser likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

One of the most useful 'tools' in the bush is Turdus merula the Black bird...because he is such a loud mouth his call will alert you to anything going on...pigs, deer, humans. He will also alert the others of your presence!! And thankfully his voice carries a far way.

Listen for this...
    London wildlife recording featuring blackbird alarm calls | The London Sound Survey

If you are set up away from a likely clearing also observe birds like the fantail...they follow animals (and you) through the bush to feed on the disturbed insects.
    phillipgr and Scouser like this.

Huge thanks for all the advice, thats why i joined the forum in the first place....

Im getting out as much as poss, my mate has finally gotten his FAL, so will get out even more!

thanks EeeBees, i am already onto the Blackbirds 'alarm call'....both the good & bad (when 'your' the reason for it) and as Phillip says i love tramping around the bush anyway, now its with a rifle...

have to admit, ive 'kissed' my GPS more than once though....would NOT go into the Kaimanawas without it, even take 2 spare sets of batteries.....and a map & compass as back up!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I know, it is not all about whether you take an animal home or not...lowering the barrel on an animal in your sights just because it looks so beautiful...our senses are bombarded in everyday life...getting out there is like giving them all a spring clean!! Laughing out loud when you know that for the second time, that sassy Jap has done it again on you!

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    I know, it is not all about whether you take an animal home or not...lowering the barrel on an animal in your sights just because it looks so beautiful...our senses are bombarded in everyday life...getting out there is like giving them all a spring clean!! Laughing out loud when you know that for the second time, that sassy Jap has done it again on you!
    EeeBees... Are you the other half of my split personality? Haha! I've lowered my rifle on a jap hind at Middle Hill in the Kawekas, so know exactly what you're talking about. She was in such perfect condition with a beautiful smooth grey coat and such a pretty face I was mesmerised. And as she sprang from behind a shrub in full flight looking over her shoulder, my rifle just sank from shoulder and I watched her bound over the ridge, then, in a panic suddenly remembered what I was doing there! I chased her, but first real opportunity gone and I'll never forget it.
    And the number of jap stags that I still haven't worked out who was stalking who!! Hilarious and priceless memories

Identify your target beyond all doubt! Sorry won't cut it later and no deer is worth the fall out. Safe and happy hunting
    EeeBees and JoshC like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Laughing out loud when you know that for the second time, that sassy Jap has done it again on you!
    I may as well laugh because the little buggers sure as hell are laughing at me.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms