Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: 13' raft on Nelson area rivers

13' raft on Nelson area rivers

Hello local experts. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a raft for exploring local rivers, I'm thinking some easy adventures with the wife and two small kids and some badass trips with forum folks where we make horrible decisions and bite off more than we can chew. These things float in 5cm of water and can pretty easily be pushed downriver in 1cm or so. I was thinking a set up much like the one pictured that's sorted for fishing but could easily be modified for a few mates and backpacks and some dead deer stacked in it if need be I welcome all of your thoughts on this matter folks...feel free to tell me that I'm an idiot or reserve your fishing/hunting raft trip, either way is fine with me!!
    Name:  IMG_8677.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  198.8 KB

Maruia River.Launch @ Boundary Rd bridge public access.short grade one 3-4 mile run down ,pull out on private land on T.R.
    .@ northern foot off Shenandoah saddle.Good fishing for Browns & easy hunting for reds,pigs on T.L.on DOC block with good suitable river terraces for o/nite tent camping.A good trip as a newbie for the family.Once gaining experience then upper Matakitaki grade two @ Murch.Launch @ Glenroy confluence down to 'The Six Mile ' below the earthquake rapid.No Doc hunting but,access to private land hunting goats and reds and fishing for Browns.Then the 3-6 day grade 3 Clarence Rvr.Launch Acheron junction,pull out @ Wai Toa bridge,both public access,with Doc huts located @ one day intervals along the route on river bank.Hunting Doc goats,reds,pigs,chammy,trout.flow needs to be above 18 cumecs @ the Jollies gauge when departing.All the above require the logistics of vehicle/trailer retrieval & relocation to the pull out spot
    Last edited by bluebaiter222; 24-04-2023 at 06:57 AM.

Those elevated high seats are unsuitable for steep NZ mtn rivers over grade 1,you'll get spat out.The whole set up looks like for gentleman drifting on a placid bayioux.That construction won't handle our typical conditions of sharp rocks puncturing that lightweight looking Chinese fabric.Talk to the local Murch commercial guides to see about what robust kit they run the rivers with that can handle the jandle.The alloy wrap around frame will get bent on the first rapid,so guite unsuitable.the raft needs to flex when negotiating a rapib.You won't see one setup like that in NZ.Pay for a 1/2 day Murch commercial charter on the Buller to get your head around NZ rafting conditions before you commit to buying a useless piece of unsuitable Chinese junk
    Last edited by bluebaiter222; 24-04-2023 at 07:20 AM.

The Clarence isn't a trip for newbies either, had a group I know of very experienced rafters lose a raft sunk last year on the run, they have don it at least a dozen times before. Also talk to the Clarence rafting company.

Clarence river flow. Its currently showing 8cumecs considering we had very heavy rain in the night.
    Micky Duck and woods223 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    Those elevated high seats are unsuitable for steep NZ mtn rivers over grade 1,you'll get spat out.The whole set up looks like for gentleman drifting on a placid bayioux.That construction won't handle our typical conditions of sharp rocks puncturing that lightweight looking Chinese fabric.Talk to the local Murch commercial guides to see about what robust kit they run the rivers with that can handle the jandle.The alloy wrap around frame will get bent on the first rapid,so guite unsuitable.the raft needs to flex when negotiating a rapib.You won't see one setup like that in NZ.Pay for a 1/2 day Murch commercial charter on the Buller to get your head around NZ rafting conditions before you commit to buying a useless piece of unsuitable Chinese junk
    You seem pretty angry about Chinese junk...also seem unfamiliar with NRS...also...you run your raft into boulders on every run as to bend the frame?? >>>I thought I was supposed to avoid boulders, you're right, you guys do things differently. Thanks for the input.

You'll find our rivers are full of rocks, with some water in them and can be quite tight, whereas most of your rivers are full of water with some rocks in them.

Youtube some of the named rivers the others have suggested, and you'll see what works and what doesn't over here in our conditions
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gkp
    I did a rafting/hunting trip down the Grey years ago. Was a good trip looking back but we did flip the rafting and nearly drowned the dog. Was pretty hectic.
    I did a rafting course and a bit of guiding 25 years ago so have got a reasonable idea of what works.
    Looking at that rafting I would say if you flipped it you would probably bend frames and smash those seats off pretty quickly.
    Looks like a good raft for a mellow river or lake.
    Could be worth looking for an ex commercial set up from one of the local operators...
    If I was doing it I would loose the frame and oars and get the family involved in paddling. Also a bigger rafting would be more suitable as I think you said 4 people? Plus gear and the odd animal.
    NRS gear is top notch btw
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gkp
    I guess you could always remove the frame if you wanted too. Would be worth putting the kids in wetsuits as well as life jackets outside of mid summer.

It's rare to see american style rafts and guide boat setups used here.
    That is probably to do with the type of rivers we have, typically short in the scheme of things with large water volume changes and can go from placid to grade 4 rapids and back again in short distances.

If you are moving here like I think you are planning too then it won't hurt to stick one in a container with the rest of your gear. Some one will buy it here if/when it doesn't suit.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Yeah… I’ve done a fair bit of rafting, canoeing and kayaking in NZ and you wound not catch me getting into something with a metal frame like that for a river trip. Expect to get thrown against the sides or have the raft land on you when it flips.

You can lash some barrels into the centre of a normal NZ raft but the weight does make them pretty hard to drag through shallow rapids.

Consider a Canadian canoe. They stay manoeuvrable when loaded up and are quicker over lakes etc.
    Fat belly Dog likes this.

I'm thinking that would possibly be ok down the motueka river and Appleby in lowish flows to fish from....mostly surrounded by private land tho so not really hunting options other than Ducks?
    But yeah it certainly looks like a calm water only vessel.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

you guys are no fun I want to see what happens first rapid

with a set up like that perhaps jhe coul;d offer an alternative to cook strait ferries./..just sayin like.
    A330driver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    with a set up like that perhaps jhe coul;d offer an alternative to cook strait ferries./..just sayin like.
    I can just see it now budget crossings 4.5 seagull and a umbrella for shade
    kotuku, Micky Duck and turtle like this.

I see a rowable maimai with attachment points for camo nets...and hear banjos playing (even though Kevin Bacon was baddie that rowed one of them in different movie) please dont be offended by our harsh Kiwi way of saying its dumb idea....have a utube look at rafting in NZ and you will see why..sometimes rafts bend almost in half......a few years back fibreglass kayaks were prefered over plastic,even though the plastic ones are awesome and hardy BECAUSE a glass boat might snap and release you where a plastic will fold up with you in it it you get pinned between two boulders....
    Black Rabbit likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters