Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: 13' raft on Nelson area rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    Thanks folks. Ok...I took offense to calling one of the top raft brands in the world a cheap piece of junk. It's not. Period. However a few things...
    1. I'm not as dumb as some...more than most. BUT, I would plan on scouting/hiking rivers/drifts LONG before taking the family with me for an "easy trip"
    2. Yeah, dammed good points about gradient and the years of water eroding rocks and the differences between our countries.
    3. Hence my original post eluding to easy (for the family) and doable (for me and Stingray) within a few hours of Nelson or so??

Thanks again...I don't take offense to being called an idiot, I was asking if there were places that an idiot could plausibly take a raft down a river

PS: Also, I'm kinda heartbroken about all this as I was pretty stoked about this idea :/
    all okay mate - it was the seats that made it a no go for our rivers - way way to high a center of gravity - think low and mold to raft - become one with it - hang on - not sit up high on top enjoying ride from arm chair seat cause thats only going to last until first set of rapids and then life jackets and some swim swim ability and a bloody helmet

Try this party trick by Mike Horn down the Amazon. Amazing dude.

https://www.raftingrepublic.com/insi...speed/?lang=en

While many rivers would be pretty rough in the middle reaches the lower tidal sections of many rivers at least here in the lower south would be a lot easier to negotiate with that set up and also offer some fishing opportunities like softbaiting for sea run brown trout

In the Nelson area you might get down the Pelorus River if it had just the right amount of water in it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    In the Nelson area you might get down the Pelorus River if it had just the right amount of water in it . . .
    Yeah from the St hwy bridge down to sea should be ok I would think.
    But that's Marlborough area not Nelson.
    Tho closer than lots of Nelson spots
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

hers an idea -when youi get out here popup on here with riovers youre interested in or are proposing to raft .theres always some bugger been there done that ,who'llgive you some valuable advice on the thing or if youre lucky you could end up in a kiwi jetboat on these rivers .tip -might pay to empty boweld/bladder firdst and some of our jetboaters could give top guns "maverick" a run for his money when theyre in action on difficult water.
    veitnamcam and A330driver like this.